D4n
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Blocking 4chan & Liveleak

Can anyone answer why Telstra is blocking 4chan and liveleak when the NZ terrorist video was shared on Facebook? This is **bleep**ing stupid, Telstra ban websites that had nothing to do with it. I don't pay top dollar so Telstra can make (incorrect) decisions for me. Its not Telstra's choice what websites i visit, and if you think it is i'm going to have to take my business elsewhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
NetworkAdmin
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Blocking 4chan & Liveleak

Hi D4n, yes it's ridiculous. You can easily get around their silly DNS-based blocking by going using public DNS servers other than Telstra's. Unfortunately they lock down most of their routers so you can't set DHCP to hand out public DNS servers but you can set it on your devices manually. For windows 10, follow this guide https://www.techbout.com/change-dns-server-in-windows-10-22743/. For other devices/operating systems just google it and follow your nose.
Sklopa
Level 1: Cadet

I agree with your statement, god damn communists!!!
Level 21: Augmented

@Sklopa wrote:
I agree with your statement, god damn communists!!!

I used to live in East European communist ruled country... Be assured that this is NOTHING compared to it... And to be honest. sometimes I agree with some of the "censorship"... But that's just me... Old fart originally from East Europe enjoying democracy and freedom, sometimes slightly limited by interests of various political parties...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 21: Augmented

I believe most Australian ISPs decided to DNS block these after the NZ incident... Thy want to show "goodwill" but they also know that most of those who visit sites like these know how easy it is to go around DNS blocking... Otherwise, they would deploy better blocking means - like we did on our corporate firewall...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more