D4n
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Blocking 4chan & Liveleak

Can anyone answer why Telstra is blocking 4chan and liveleak when the NZ terrorist video was shared on Facebook? This is **bleep**ing stupid, Telstra ban websites that had nothing to do with it. I don't pay top dollar so Telstra can make (incorrect) decisions for me. Its not Telstra's choice what websites i visit, and if you think it is i'm going to have to take my business elsewhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
NetworkAdmin
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra Blocking 4chan & Liveleak

Hi D4n, yes it's ridiculous. You can easily get around their silly DNS-based blocking by going using public DNS servers other than Telstra's. Unfortunately they lock down most of their routers so you can't set DHCP to hand out public DNS servers but you can set it on your devices manually. For windows 10, follow this guide https://www.techbout.com/change-dns-server-in-windows-10-22743/. For other devices/operating systems just google it and follow your nose.
Sklopa

I agree with your statement, god damn communists!!!
Level 21: Augmented

@Sklopa wrote:
I agree with your statement, god damn communists!!!

I used to live in East European communist ruled country... Be assured that this is NOTHING compared to it... And to be honest. sometimes I agree with some of the "censorship"... But that's just me... Old fart originally from East Europe enjoying democracy and freedom, sometimes slightly limited by interests of various political parties...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

I believe most Australian ISPs decided to DNS block these after the NZ incident... Thy want to show "goodwill" but they also know that most of those who visit sites like these know how easy it is to go around DNS blocking... Otherwise, they would deploy better blocking means - like we did on our corporate firewall...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Kierannnnnn

Anyone with a bit of tech know-how can get around Telstra's IP blocks but it's incredibly insulting that a company like Telstra would be blocking harmless sites like 4chan and LiveLeak jast to virtue signal. If they want to fight terrorism how about blocking Twitter or YouTube because ISIS and other Muslim extremists have videos on there and 99+% of terror attacks are still perpetrated by followers of the 'religion of peace'.

Ah well. Telstra broke our contract by restricting my internet access and are failing to provide the service I pay for. I will be getting my compensation and changing providers to a company thats respects my rights.

Ah well. Telstra broke our contract by restricting my internet access and are failing to provide the service I pay for. I will be getting my compensation and changing providers to a company thats respects my rights.

If you think that the grass is greened on the other side of the fence, you're welcome to go there... But rest assured, Telstra did not break your contract. Telstra just followed common sense and government's requests, as all other Australian ISPs did... And BTW, small print of your contract with Telstra makes it clear...

abthomp
Level 9: Captain

It's interesting that Telstra only acted when the boot was, for once, on the other foot.

They never blocked sites that showed people being beheaded or burnt alive by ISIS and their friends.

Kierannnnnn

But it isn't common sense is it? I can only assume you have never visited 4chan or liveleak, otherwise you would know just how ridiculous it is that they banned those sites. The NZ shooter literally instructed people to subscribe to PewdiePie on Youtube, why didn't they ban Youtube? 4chan is one of the few sites that has actually managed to remain impartial and strived to preserve basic internet freedoms and impartiality. The only thing 'common sense' about it, is that only 'common' people would be stupid enough to believe that it's 'for their own good'.
Level 24: Supreme Being

With the Sharing if Abhorrent Material bill, all RSP's will now be in the same boat when it comes to site blocking

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s120...
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Passing of*
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Partario

They're also blocking bitchute.com

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now