CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
strex
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Broadband Cable to NBN

Answered

I have a concern - As a long term customer of Broadband Cable with additional High Speed add on... I am concerned with the current notification from the NBN that my premises is to have the NBN service installed. I understand that my copper cable PSTN will be transitioned to HFC (NBN) .. But will my Telstra Broadband Cable be replaced .. I have no faith in the NBN and do not want to lose my high speed Telstra service.. Can anyone advise if this is probable, I am also concerned as my contract with Telstra has expired and although on a month to month, no one has contacted me to sign me up to a new 24 month contract as they do everytime my contract expires... Any advice would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Broadband Cable to NBN

Once you're area is ready for NBN HFC service your existing cable connection and pstn phone service will be disconnected after roughly 18 months. You'll need to move over to the NBN within that time frame. NBN HFC uses the existing coaxial cable connection that your Telstra cable service currently uses
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Once you're area is ready for NBN HFC service your existing cable connection and pstn phone service will be disconnected after roughly 18 months. You'll need to move over to the NBN within that time frame. NBN HFC uses the existing coaxial cable connection that your Telstra cable service currently uses
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

View solution in original post

Drakester
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there,
The NBN is basically forcing current Telstra Cable customers to settle for a much more expensive plan on a slower network.
While I have Telstra cable connecting me to the internet and Foxtel, NBN has told me that my area will only get Fibre to the Node rather than HFC. No one at NBN Co will give me a straight, non-standard answer.
So what does that mean to Telstra Cable users? I currently pay $70 per month for a cable connection that averages 65-75 mbps. For me to get anywhere near that I will have to connect to a tier 80 plan at $129 per month, that is nearly double or $720 a year.
As my house was built with a cable connection I will also have to replace my cable connections to normal phone lines (at my cost- around $250).
NBN's website also informs me that Foxtel will continue to be delivered via the cable but this too has a time limit.
I have had no correspondence from Telstra or the NBN that addresses this issue and I pretty much had to find out for myself.
I am currently lobbying my local MP and Council.
So much for the NBN not costing any extra! A total lie.

I've had the same personal experience. I had Telstra cable 115mb/s. HFC NBN speeds are slightly over half as all your neighbours are on a 30 year old neglected cable. I cut my losses and use 4GX wireless broadband.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"

Cordless phones will save you the in home wiring. As for the cost, NBN co charges a higher wholesale price which is passed on to customers.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now