CrowdSupport®
swint
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

Hi there,

I am an administrator for a small company and our mail server is being blocked by Telstra Broadband Protect. Can someone please message me so I can provide further details including the URL to get our service off this blacklist?

Kind regards

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

You need to find out which services have you blacklisted (virustotal.com) is good for that.
You then need to clean your site and get it removed from those blacklists.
You can then click on the "report site as safe" link on the page that comes up when TBP blocks your site and it will be reassessed.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
swint

Hi Jupiter,
Originally we were blacklisted by Google;s Safebrowsing service (which was remedied weeks ago). I'm guessing Telstra uses that same list but just hasn't removed it yet. It is not part of any other blacklists as far as I can tell. I have used the "report site as safe" link for multiple clients so far but it has not been reassessed (or if it has, I'm not sure why it's still failing) and they are unable to access their emails without manually changing their DNS settings.

Thanks for responding
Level 21: Augmented

Nope, Telstra does not use Google's Safebrowsing nor anyone who is serious about security. If you do not want to tell us what the site it is, please check it against the virustotal.com as advised by @Jupiter.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
swint

Thanks for taking the time to respond. As I mentioned, it did not show up on any other blacklists or email RBL's (I should have mentioned that I had already check VT), and it is still coming up clean.

Did you do "rescan" on VT - it sometimes shows previous scan that might be good or vice versa...

Now re-reading your e-mail, you're saying your mail server is blocked, not webserver... That's slightly different story... Did you try mxtoolbox.com to check your mail server? What exactly is the error you're getting? Mail server should not in general be affected by Broadband Protect...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

swint

I have hit rescan on VT, still clean. MX Toolbox has reported it as clean since the beginning.
Trying to reach our Exchange OWA results in the Telstra Broadband Protect message showing up.
Try to set up Outlook, it will fail to authenticate because it can't reach the Exchange server.
Changing the DNS server on the device or router fixes the issue.
This is happening for multiple clients in multiple states with multiple types of Telstra internet connections.
In this case, Telstra's Broadband Protect appears to be sinkholing the DNS requests, so it absolutely can affect the mail server if it can't resolve the hostname.
I just need someone from Telstra to message me so I can get it removed, or at least a reason that it is still blocked.
Cheers

I do not have currently access to any Telstra insiders here on crowdsupport to alert them, so you may need to wait for one of them to jump on this, but this seems to be bit strange... Sorry, cannot help anymore...

@Luna23 would you be able to assist here?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
swint

Is anyone able to help me here?
Still no resolution on this issue, hoping to get this sorted as soon as possible so our clients can access their emails again.

Thanks

Can you provide the DNS server that your clients are using, and the domain name that your mail server resides at?

It could just be a DNS propagation issue rather than it being blocked.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now