aldochiu
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Business Smart Modem (Netgear V7610) VPN can not access Internet

Hey

For work reason, I need to setup a VPN server in the V7610. I have followed this guide and the VPN is successfully connected from my mobile to the router.

From the status page of the router, I can see login status, with a given virtual IP 192.168.11.2/32 and the DHCP of the sam router is giving out 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

VPN is connected, but I wont able to access internet under this circumstance. My mobile phone seems connected to a wifi router without internet connection. 

I have tried to set VPN virtual IP to be the same as DHCP's one but it failed, too.

I guess there must be some setting to join WAN and VPN connections together but I couldn't find any now.

Can anyone give me a hint please?

Many thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Business Smart Modem (Netgear V7610) VPN can not access Internet

It will depend what will your "work reason VPN" be and how it will be set up... It is quite possible that your "work VPN" admin set up the VPN with full tunnel and is blocking anything that is not approved by your work... Been there done that, CISCO is notoriously known to have issues with full/split tunnels.

We will need much more information to give you some guidance, but your "work reason VPN" admin should be able to put some light onto this...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
aldochiu

Hi thanks for your reply!
I simply need to connect to that telstra modem router's VPN from my mobile to access files from my company.
At this stage, the vpn works only for access company network, but my mobile phone couldn't have access to the internet at the same time.

I have very limit knowledge about vpn stuffs. You mentioned full/split tunnel, so i guess my situation is in the split tunnel? Since local and internet traffics seem separated in the vpn. Well, i just try to elaborate my understanding.

As there may be a full tunnel option for this modem router (v7610), may i know any hints how to setup please? As no one could help here......

Back to the background, it is such a tiny company, no dedicated IT or admin is available and i am not willing to use port forwarding by security reasons.

Thanks again!
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

You don't need to do anything on the modem for your VPN connection. You set the connection up directly through your phone. That is where your problem lies.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
aldochiu

Hi,

Thanks for reply!
You mean my phone has incorrectly setup? But there is not much i can modify for android vpn.
I chose 'IPSec Xauth PSK" type and under advanced options, there are three more fields
DNS search domains, DNS servers and Forwarding routes
I tried put in '192.168.1.0/24', which is the router's DHCP range in Forwarding route, but it doesn't help.
is it anyother thing I need to do at the phone side, please?

Hang on. Let's go back to step #0.

Is the V7610 modem yours, or your work's modem?

If it is your work's modem, then entering a 192.168.xxx.xxx address into your mobile is not going to get you anywhere when you leave the office as it is an internal IP address, not a public one (and within the office, you don't need a VPN connection).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
aldochiu

Hi,
That V7610 modem is a work's modem in the office.
I switched off wifi on my mobile, connect it to VPN via cellular data. Then I can access network in the office, for example, I can retrieve company data, see the printers and etc. But at the sametime, I can not use internet. A VPN connection should allow me to do so, isn't it?

So, if 192.168.xxx.xxx should not be worked, should I try the public (WAN) ip from the V7610?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now