Highlighted
vlking
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Cable Elite Issue Accessing Certain Websites

Answered

Hi.

Ever since our service was restored on the 29th from the severe weather on the weekend, we have been unable to access certain websites using the cable connection. Some of these include: zynga.com, ebay.com, adobe.com, some facebook apps.  I originally assumed it was a networking issue but after further investigation and troubleshooting i have come to the conclusion that the cable connection is at fault. I come to this conclusion because i can tether my mobile internet connection and have access to these sights using the tethered connection. Im stumped as to how to get this fixed as i cant even get on the phone with someone from telstra atm and their callback system is either broken or they just arent calling back...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Exxemm
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable Elite Issue Accessing Certain Websites

I have had the same problem.  As some sites would load without problem and speedtest.net showed my connection to be working at full capacity I determined that the problem is most likely with Bigpond's DNS servers.  I modified my network adaptor settings to set the DNS addresses to Google's DNS and the problem has disappeared and I can now access Facebook etc without problems.  If you know how to modify your DNS settings, the  IP addresses for Google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4

vlking
Accepted Solution

I can confirm that using Google dns servers which you provided have temporarily fixed my issue so thank you very much for that.

Edit:

the google dns servers are actually as follows: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

here is a link to other free dns servers including google

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Exxemm
Accepted Solution

I have had the same problem.  As some sites would load without problem and speedtest.net showed my connection to be working at full capacity I determined that the problem is most likely with Bigpond's DNS servers.  I modified my network adaptor settings to set the DNS addresses to Google's DNS and the problem has disappeared and I can now access Facebook etc without problems.  If you know how to modify your DNS settings, the  IP addresses for Google's DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4

isquirrel
Level 1: Cadet

Can confirm suggested DNS fix is working for us
RUSSNQ

How can i access my DNS server to change the code? I cant get on any certain websites and its pissing me off.

vlking
Accepted Solution

I can confirm that using Google dns servers which you provided have temporarily fixed my issue so thank you very much for that.

Edit:

the google dns servers are actually as follows: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

here is a link to other free dns servers including google

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

Venus62

I can't see why this is marked as "solved" Perhaps changing the DNS servers work for some but didn't fix my problem.

Edit> My apologies. A computer restart along with the new DNS servers did indeed fix the problem on my compture. Any clues for iPads??

isquirrel

For iPad DNS fix, go to setting/wifi - select the network your using then tap the blue arrow icon to the left scroll down to DNS & input 8.8.8.8 manually. No need to apply, will be done automatically. Same for all Apple devices including Apple TV & iPhone, have all the above, have changed the DNS on all devices - works now.

Hopefully someone from Telstra is reading these posts and will post here when DNS issue is fixed.

isquirrel

DNS issue is now fixed, I have reverted back to the defaults and no problems on any devices

forey

Hi there, I updated my DNS server as discussed with no luck. still cant get to a webmail site on Telstra Cable modem, If i turn off Wifi and jump on the mobile (Vodafone) network I can access.

PLEASE HELP

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey forey,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

Did you restart your computer after changoing your DNS server as suggested above? Thanks Forey.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

nq

here we are in february 2015 abd history repeats itself after cyclone marcia, which never hit mackay our phone and telstra NBN broadband were dropping out a couple of times per day . telstra have changed my netgear DEV2020 to google DNS 8.8.8.8 and it works.....but when will this issue be resolved in 2015

elenc

I seem to be having the same issue here. I was away from home over Christmas (everything was working fine before I left) but upon return I can access all the usual websites except for http://macports.org/ (which I use to install and update open-source mac OS X software that I use for work). If I connect via my work Internet using my laptop or via my phone's 4G everything works fine (which selects a different DNS as both are with different carriers). The same problem occurs for each device connected to my cable-modem router so I suspect something is not-quite-right with the Telstra DNS. I have also tried powering down the cable-modem for 10 minutes and restarting in the hope that the DNS would be reconfigured to something that works ... but to no avail.

My symptoms sound very much like what was described in the earlier discussion but I don't like the idea of having to manually configure the DNS on each of my devices ... I wonder, is anyone else able to view the http://macports.org/ page via their Telstra (NSW) connection? This would at least help me isolate the problem with Telstra (or not) depending on the response.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi elenc,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Are you still experiencing difficulties with this or has this since been resolved? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

elenc

Hi Shelly,

I still can't access this website via my cable modem. In the meantime, I did try to force a different DNS into my network settings (the Google public DNS) of my laptop but that didn't seem to work either (still works fine with the same laptop at work and at home but via tethered phone connection instead of cable modem). I'm now wondering if it is the cable modem somehow preventing me from connecting to the site (I don't have any of the site blocking features enabled on it so I can't imagine why) - any device that connects via the modem cannot view the www.macports.org page i.e. laptops, phones, tablets, etc. I also notice that if I go to the "Logs" page of my NetGear Cable Gateway CG3100D-2 it causes it to spontaneously restart - very odd (all other status/control pages appear to be OK).

Cheers,

Emil.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Emil,

Given what you have described, the very first thing that I would do is to perform a factory default of the modem. This can be done via the modems interface or by holding in the reset button on the back of the modem with a pin until all of the lights on the front flash at the same time (approx 10 sec).

- Shelly

elenc

Hi Shelly,

Well, that's bizarre, I just tried to connect to http://macports.org again just now and it is once again working. I really have no idea why, I didn't change a thing on my side. Oh well, I'm happy again :-)

Best regards,

Emil.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now