CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TimWiles
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Cable Modem Resetting/Dropping Out *HOW I FIXED*

Answered

Hello, 

Over the past three months with Telstra i have had issues with my cable modem resetting and dropping out, i have the Home Gateway Max cable modem. 

Telstra has replaced the modem 4 times, and sent 5 techs with no fix

I have tried numerous home fixes (using different power points etc), buying a $290 UPS to ensure the modem is getting clean power supply. 

However - As your all likely told when you first get the technician out, DO NOT Change any of the modem settings. I followed this instruction until Yesterday when i decided enough is enough and telstra obviously lack the knowledge to fix the problem. 

After much research i found simular problems from some USA cable company customers with the Net Gear modems that telstra re-brand as thier own. 

The Fix: 

Under the firewall settings, there is a option, DDOS protection. This basically forces your modem to reboot if you get too many unbound requests from multiple sources. As someone who plays games, most game patchers use Peer to Peer connections to facilitate updates. So every time my games launcher would update or try to update the modem would reset. Thus disabling DDOS Protection i've now had 24 hours + uptime on my modem which is a first time in 3 months. 

This has been a paintful and expensive process my end - days off work for techs, purchase of UPS, extensions leads, surge protectors and such. There is a definant lack of support from the overseas call centres Telstra now use. Very Happy my problem is fixed, quite unhappy telstra were not able to help in 3 months of weekly and some times daily troubleshooting with staff. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Cable Modem Resetting/Dropping Out *HOW I FIXED*

G'day @TimWiles 

Kudos for posting that.

Something to watch out for.

Can't blame the Telstra techs, as they only know what they get briefed on (you can blame the company)

However, bet this little gem gets added to the list of things to look for.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

G'day @TimWiles 

Kudos for posting that.

Something to watch out for.

Can't blame the Telstra techs, as they only know what they get briefed on (you can blame the company)

However, bet this little gem gets added to the list of things to look for.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Shelleez
Level 1: Cadet

Will try this as we are tired of continually resetting .  Will advise of outcome

Regards

So far so good, has been 2 hours.  May not seeem like much, but for the last week, we have really struggled to maintain connection to the internet during afternoon hours. Late afternoon, mornings seem to be fine.  So here's hoping.

Will hopefully post again in a week with good news.

Regards

Mumofgamer

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now