CrowdSupport®
P_Switch
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Cable broadband

Hello everyone.

A big thanks in advance for you inputs.

I am on Telstra Cable. Everything was working fine until a few days ago, when I accidentally did a reset on my Linksys Velop mesh wifi becase the speed was not what was as per usual.

THEN (when everything was working fine):

Telstra Cable>> Cable adapter>> Ethernet switch>> multiple outputs, including

1. Linksys Velop parent node (connected to two child nodes).

2. Dahua Cameras x 3

3. Paradox alarm system with ip150 module allowing internet connectivity.

4. Multiple other LAN connections in different rooms.

NOW:

3 x Dahua Cameras and Paradox alarm panels are working (I am able to access both remotely from my phone over 4G, implying that these devices are able to connect to the internet).

The Linksys Velop mesh Wifi is unable to connect.

Phone call with Level 1 and level 2 Telstra support did not resolve the problem. We tried putting back the Telstra smart modem back instead of Velop.

Recommendation from Telstra level 2 support: Take Platinum plan. ?? What to make work Telstra supplied cable adapter connected to Telstra smart modem when there are devices in the network clearly connecting to the internet. Why should there be a need for this?

After hanging up with Telstra level 2 support, not wanting to pay for something which should be provided as a part and parcel of the service, I did a factory reset of the Telstra cable adapter. And lo behold, the Telstra smart modem showed a green light and speedtest.net showed a connection speed of 115mpps, clearly showing that the modem did connect to the internet after all.

But it was still not working with Linksys Velop, which I require there are multiple device scattered all over the house which are required for work purpose.

So I called Linksys support. The support technician was very patient and he went on for 1.5 hours trying to get it to work, but in the end concluded that there was no internet connection to the device (but when I checked, the Cameras and alarm panel, connected to the same ethernet switch, could still be accessed from the phone app, implying that they were online).

LATEST UPDATE: Not able to connect Telstra smart modem or Linksys Velop to internet since (while cameras and security alarm panel connected to the same ethernet switch are on line). Clearly a configuration error at the level of modem or exchange/switch. Not once did Telstra support try to make any changes to the DNS or other settings of the modems once during their call.

Telstra support not able to provide a resolution to the devices supplied by its own company. Disappointing.

Does anyone has a set of DNS or other configurations that needs to be configured in the routers. Step by step instructions please for a  person who does not know the lingua franca of tech.

Thank you again in advance for your help.

P_Switch

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra Cable broadband

Connect the Linksys velop mesh directly to cable adapter and then connect the switch to the velop mesh.

Telstra cable has four public IP address most other internet connections only have one. With the switch connected directly to cable adapter the camera's and Parodox alarm grab these four IP addresses leaving non for other devices.

If you connect the velop mesh directly to cable adapter it will use ond of the public IP addresses but its built in DHP server will provide IP address for all your other devices.

Ran out of time to edit previous post. You might have to wait 24 hours for IP addresses assigned to camera's and securith system to be released and become available fof the velop mesh.

P_Switch

Dear cf4

Thank you for your reply. A quick question regarding your suggestion..

Since the cable adapter is in phone/internet panel located in our garage, with not much space to fit Velop inside the panel, would taking the cameras and alarm panel off the ethernet switch and leaving only the Velop connected to switch for, say 24 hours, or as long as it takes for it to acquire ip addresses work? Once Velop has acquired its ip address, and is working fine, I can then connect the cameras and alarm panel back on the the switch. Is that an arrangement you think would work?

The Velop should work but I am not sure if all thee camera's plus the security system will work once reconnected as there is only four public IP addresses.

Can't you patch the Cable adapter directly to a LAN cable connected to Velop parent and the from the Velop parent back to the switch

P_Switch

Dear cf4

I have managed to get my parent Velop node connected directly to the cable adapter (literally had to squeeze it into the network panel in the garage). The output now runs from Velop to the network switch, which is connected to the rest of the LAN outputs in the house and the three security cameras and the alarm panel. The alarm panel is now up and running, but all three cameras are now off line. Any ideas why?

Current setup:

Cable network>>Cable adapter>>via lan cable>>Velop node>>via lan cable>>Network switch>>3 x DaHua IP cameras (not onine) + 1 security camera panel Paradox ip150 (on line) + other cables outputs in the house (not in use).

The Velop parent node is also connected to the secondary nodes via wifi.

Thanks again for your continuing inputs,

Cheers

Highlighted

Are the camera's appearing in the list of connected devices in the Velop's dashboard? (Page 13 of manual)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit