Angryeagle
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Complaint Handling

Telstra's  complaint handling procedures are an absolute joke. Last week, for the thousandth time this year, I was unable to access the NBN due to a planned outage for 2 days (why can't Telstra advise their customers of these planned outages?) - in frustration I asked a question on the online chatline - what a debacle! After waiting for some kind of response for 20 minutes, "Mary Katherine" comes back and tells me there is a outage which is exactly what I had told her. She asked me how I knew this and was surprised when I told her there was a Telstra outages page... anyway, I then asked, as a long-term Telstra customer, if I could get a Telstra Smart 2 modem so that I could at least continue to work during these constant outages. I was transferred to NBN technical and then to sales and then to technical and then to sales and then I requested a transcript of the chat and terminated it  before my blood pressure escalated further. That transcript has never been received. I then rang (on my non-Telstra mobile) and spoke to someone in sales who reassured me that if I signed up for a new plan I would automatically receive a new Smart modem - I went through all the steps to do this without him sending me anything written material and not referring me to the Critical Information Summary online. He then transferred me to technical support for some reason and then the call dropped out - I had to call back as no-one called me despite me having given them my number. When I did eventually talk to someone they told me that I was not eligible for a new modem having signed up for a new plan whereupon I cancelled that new plan. At this stage someone lodged a complaint for me (SR1-1797705258582) and I was told that I would be assigned a case manager and he/she would call me back within 24 to 48 hours. Needless to say that did not occur and 3 days later, there was another outage for planned maintenance - also for at least 2 days. I rang NBN technical support again and at least was put through to someone who agreed to send me a new Smart modem (I presume at no cost) - this arrived yesterday. However, there is the ongoing issue of constant outages and dropouts which seem only to apply to Telstra customers in my neighbourhood. I still had heard nothing from the Complaints department (this is 3 days after lodging the complaint). I tried to ring the Complaints department directly but after being put on hold for over 40 minutes I gave up. Four days after lodging the complaint, I was called by Mark (who gave me no PIN number) at a very inconvenient time and was unable to take the call. I asked him to call me back after 3pm the following day - he called at 1pm and when I was unable to answer the call, he closed the case. He left no message. I rang the Complaints department again yesterday to complain about the way my complaint had been handled - I was told the case had been closed. I was very angry and demanded to speak to Mark's supervisor - Jen. I was told she would call me back at 9am this morning (it is now 1pm). Meanwhile, I get a garbled message from Mark saying that a Telstra technician would be here this morning to check our connection. This did not happen. I have rung again and been told that someone will call me back today. Meanwhile the NBN is working at the moment but download speed is varying  between 2Mbps on my iPad and 91 Mbps on my desktop. I cannot believe that an organisation can be so completely inept and think that it is OK to treat their customers this way. Electricity companies are required to give notice of planned maintenance which will interrupt supply as well as compensate their clients for this - who aren't internet providers required to do the same thing?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Complaint Handling

@Angryeagle wrote:

Meanwhile the NBN is working at the moment but download speed is varying  between 2Mbps on my iPad and 91 Mbps on my desktop. I cannot believe that an organisation can be so completely inept and think that it is OK to treat their customers this way. Electricity companies are required to give notice of planned maintenance which will interrupt supply as well as compensate their clients for this - who aren't internet providers required to do the same thing?

I will leave most of your rant to someone else (maybe one of the Telstra Reps who appear here fulfilling their KPIs by posting rubbish). I will address only the difference of the speed between iPad and desktop... How are they connected to your gateway? Well, iPad for sure WiFi, desktop perhaps wired... That can easily explain the speed difference... That's completely out of scope of your rant and nothing to do with Telstra or NBN... Can you post your modem stats? And no, I am not going to post instructions on how to access them - do your homework, but please do not make it another rant...

And for the record - I am getting e-mails about planned NBN maintenance windows from Telstra. And NO, they are no required to compensate you for that - without maintenance, there would not be anything. That's just part of the life...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more