CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Busso
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra. Email received re malware

Answered
I received an email from Telstra this morning telling me to check my computer for virus or malware as they detected my server wanting to connect with those sites. I have a Mac and an IPad. How can this be true. Have scanned Mac and nothing comes up. Should I be concerned?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra. Email received re malware

You probably got a scam email.

Telatra doesn't send out such emails.

Either a phishing scam (fake anti-virus site, which probably WOULD have loaded a trojan if you had a Windows PC), or you can expect a fake phone call in the next few days telling you you have a virus. The scammer will try to get you to load a fake anti-virus program. Lucky for you, they target Windows PC's. Haven't heard of them targetting Apple yet.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

You probably got a scam email.

Telatra doesn't send out such emails.

Either a phishing scam (fake anti-virus site, which probably WOULD have loaded a trojan if you had a Windows PC), or you can expect a fake phone call in the next few days telling you you have a virus. The scammer will try to get you to load a fake anti-virus program. Lucky for you, they target Windows PC's. Haven't heard of them targetting Apple yet.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Busso

Thank you. I wondered about this being fake but it was very involved and even took me to a FAQ page. There were no attachments or requests for information.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi There, Busso, you might have missed this announcement;
https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/what-is-the-new-telstra-malware-suppression-service
We ran a trial in recent weeks notifying some customers where botnet related traffic was found on their broadband service.
I'd be interested in your further feedback, if you're happy to share.
Thanks and Regards
Gavin
Formerly of Telstra
Busso

I think this is what i got. So ething telling me my computer was infected. I had no idea what to do about that information since i have a Mac. I ran a virus checker that found nothing.
kellygang

thanks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now