CrowdSupport®
Tiinsky
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Gateway Max 5g connection password not working

Answered

Hi,

I have a Telstra Max Home Broadband modem (cable connection, not nbn).

Yesterday, we changed our password for the wifi network. We have previously been able to use the standard connection and also the -5g connection on all our wifi devices before the password changed.

Innitially, when changing over the devices we had some problems reconnecting to the standard network (two devices said "incorrect password" for at least three attempts each) but all devices including the Telstsra TV can now connect to the standard network.

An iPad 2 is still connected to the -5g network but it is using the old password (I'm yet to change it over). It appears to have wifi connection even though it's using a now redundant password.

An iPad Pro, Dell laptop and Telstra TV can connect to the standard connection but when connecting to the 5g network they all say "password Incorrect".  I have tried the new password multiple times on the 5g network on these three wifi devices. I have powered the modem down and restarted it and on the iPad Pro, I have also reset the network settings back to factory settings, but still it says the password is wrong for the 5g network. On all of these devices, we have been able to use the 5g network fine until the password change yesterday.

The password change was prompted by an unknown android phone trying to show a video through the Telstra TV.

I am concerned that since, I can still use the iPad 2 with the old password that the unknown "android" phone will also still be able to access our network even though the passwords have changed.

I would also like to access the 5g with the new password and I'm not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

-Tina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Gateway Max 5g connection password not working

It sounds like the password for the 2.4GHz network has been changed, but not the 5GHz network.

Did you change it in both spots, or just once (they are separate entries)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

It sounds like the password for the 2.4GHz network has been changed, but not the 5GHz network.

Did you change it in both spots, or just once (they are separate entries)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tiinsky
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks - I wasn't aware it was two entries . I have located the drop down box for the 5g and changed it too.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now