CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
z0ki
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra HFC NBN (Landline with own router)

Answered

I got my HFC NBN connected the other day. Telstra came this morning and gave me a Gateway that the landline now plugs into.

Of course i'd rather use my own router (ASUS AC87u) and simply use the Gateway 5335 "F@ST" purely for making and receiving calls and use my RT-AC87u for all my Wireless and home networking needs.

I have seen a couple of post on here where people have been successful with such setup, but the instructions are not entirely clear (for me anyhow). This is how I have it currently setup

-Side note: WiFi is turned off on F@ST

Current setup

ARRIS 8200CM > WAN PORT on (ac87u) > LAN PORT (from ac87u) > INTO RED WAN PORT (on Gateway)

I have internet connectivity I have a dial tone for around 15 minutes then it is dead, and I cannot receive calls at all.

So I may need to add settings onto my ASUS router to be able to receive and make phone calls on my landline, but what? This is where I am miffed. Hopefully someone will be able to give me clear cut instructions on achieving what I am after.

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
z0ki
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra HFC NBN (Landline with own router)

HOW TO USE YOUR OWN ASUS ROUTER WITH THE GATEWAY USED FOR LANDLINE ONLY:

So far what I have done so far is as follows and I have not had any issues whatsoever with making or recieving calls or drop outs after 15 minutes!

1) Connect an Ethernet from the ARRIS CM8200 to your "F@ST" Gateway 

2) Proceed to login to your Gateway 10.0.0138 (Username: admin – Password: admin

3) Go and disable all Wi-Fi capabilities on the provided Gateway

4) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your "F@ST" Gateway and plug it into your ASUS Routers WAN port (Internet port) leaving the phone line in the GREEN PHONE port on the Gateway.

5) Login to your ASUS Routers UI (192.168.1.1) 

6) Head over to the WAN section then the DMZ tab – and enter your Gateways IP address 'click apply'

7) Then click on the NAT PASSTHROUGH tab – and DISABLE (SIP PASSTHROUGH) 'click apply'

You will now be able to make and receive calls and the Gateway will now handle VOICE calls ONLY. Whilst your ASUS Router will handle all the Wi-Fi and Networking abilities as before So far this is working even after multiple reboots of the devices!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
z0ki

Possible Progress:

If I disable SIP PASSTHROUGH in my ASUS UI i can now receive calls. I'm waiting to see if the land line will be disconnected again in 15 minutes.

z0ki
Accepted Solution

HOW TO USE YOUR OWN ASUS ROUTER WITH THE GATEWAY USED FOR LANDLINE ONLY:

So far what I have done so far is as follows and I have not had any issues whatsoever with making or recieving calls or drop outs after 15 minutes!

1) Connect an Ethernet from the ARRIS CM8200 to your "F@ST" Gateway 

2) Proceed to login to your Gateway 10.0.0138 (Username: admin – Password: admin

3) Go and disable all Wi-Fi capabilities on the provided Gateway

4) Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your "F@ST" Gateway and plug it into your ASUS Routers WAN port (Internet port) leaving the phone line in the GREEN PHONE port on the Gateway.

5) Login to your ASUS Routers UI (192.168.1.1) 

6) Head over to the WAN section then the DMZ tab – and enter your Gateways IP address 'click apply'

7) Then click on the NAT PASSTHROUGH tab – and DISABLE (SIP PASSTHROUGH) 'click apply'

You will now be able to make and receive calls and the Gateway will now handle VOICE calls ONLY. Whilst your ASUS Router will handle all the Wi-Fi and Networking abilities as before So far this is working even after multiple reboots of the devices!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now