CrowdSupport®
matt144
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra HFC problems

Okay so I have a weird problem that has just started occurring.  Bit of a quick background - I have telstra HFC internet and foxtel bundle (coming over the same cable) which has been working perfectly for a good 12+ months.

About a week ago internet stopped working but foxtel was working fine, so checked the outages page and there was a known problem in my area due to an issue with the nbn (i'm not on nbn).  I thought no worries, it's annoying but at least I know it's nothing on my end.  Anyway fast forward a week and still not working.  I had been checking the outages page daily but when I last checked it there was no outages anymore so assumed it's been fixed. 

However, internet is still not working so now assume there is a problem on my end. On the telstra modem I noticed the downstream and upstream lights are solid and the internet light is flashing.  I have a long cable that comes from a wall plate, into another room which has a splitter to get the signal to my foxtel box and to the telstra cable modem. 

Thinking the splitter is faulty I changed it.  Doesn't work.  Thinking the cable is faulty I used another known good one to go from the wall plate to the splitter to the modem.  Still not working.  Thinking the splitter is still at fault I use the long cable straight from the wall plate to the modem.  Still not working.  Thinking the long cable is the problem I move the modem closer to the wall plate and use the telstra supplied cable.  It works. 

So now I try another (smaller) cable from the wall plate to the modem and not working.  Took the wall plate off, put the splitter on the cable that runs to the inside of the wall plate and then the telstra supplied cable to the modem and still not working.  I even tried the cable straight out of the wall into the modem and it didn't work. 

The only scenario I can get internet to work now is to use the telstra supplied cable from the wall plate going directly to the modem. 

Any ideas as to why it's doing this?  Has me completely baffled.  The modem has been reset on each change and when it still didn't work I power cycled the modem on each change (for the suggested 15mins) and still no good.  Very frustrating as now if i want to use the internet I need to plug the modem in then if I want to watch foxtel I need to unplug the modem and plug the foxtel box back in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

tl;dr - can only get telstra modem to work with the telstra supplied cable going straight from the wall plate to the modem.  Can't use a splitter or any other known working cable.  Was previously working fine for ~12+ months

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra HFC problems

When you use the splitter the signal is halved, also using a longer cable the the signal will be attenuated more than if you use a shorter cable. This seems to suggest the might be a problem with your coaxial link that results in it working with the Telstra cable with no splitter but using a splitter or another cable that introduces extra attenuation results in modem not working.

Could yo post your line stats which are located here.

On a Cable Home Network Gateway
(CG3100D):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Connection (Under Maintenance)

On a Cable Gateway Max
(C6300BD):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

If using a Cable Adapter + Gateway
(CM450. Will need to plug directly into the adapter with Ethernet):
http://192.168.100.1/ > Broadband Connection > Connection Settings

matt144

Thanks for the reply cf4 Here is a ^c ^v of what you wanted

Connection Settings
Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel438000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOKcable_u2_tr2_netgear_docsis3
SecurityEnabledBPI+
Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (sym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dBmV)DOCSIS Locked
LockedQAM25696952000 sym/sec438000000 Hz-3.5 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256106952000 sym/sec446000000 Hz-3.3 dBmV40.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256116952000 sym/sec454000000 Hz-2.9 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256126952000 sym/sec462000000 Hz-3.5 dBmV40.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256136952000 sym/sec470000000 Hz-3.4 dBmV40.5 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256146952000 sym/sec478000000 Hz-3.4 dBmV40.3 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256156952000 sym/sec486000000 Hz-3.5 dBmV39.9 dBEuroDOCSIS
LockedQAM256166952000 sym/sec494000000 Hz-4.1 dBmV39.1 dBEuroDOCSIS
Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (Ksym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)
LockedATDMA325120 Ksym/sec61800000 Hz57.0 dBmV
Not LockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV
Current System Time : Wed Dec 26 10:29:41 2018

What you say makes sense about the cable and splitter, I just find it strange that it has been working for more than a year without an issue and now all of a sudden I have these issues even though I've tried new cables and splitters since the outage.

Thanks for your help so far Smiley Happy

ps I could log straight into the cable adapter homepage (cable adapter + gateway) without plugging directly into it.  Let me know if that changes anything.  If I do need to plug straight into it I'll need to find a long cat5/6 cable.  (can do just a pain)

Edit - I'll just add that the cable adapter is plugged in so internet works.  Let me know if you want to see the same with one of the other cables (internet not working)
matt144

to save time this is when it wasn't working..

Connection Settings
Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel391000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateIn ProgressAccess Denied
Boot StateIn ProgressUnknown
Configuration FileOKcable_u2_tr2_netgear_docsis3
SecurityDisabledDisabled
Downstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (sym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)SNR (dBmV)DOCSIS Locked
LockedQAM25656952000 sym/sec391000000 Hz-7.0 dBmV40.8 dBEuroDOCSIS
Not LockedUnknown00 sym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknow
Upstream Bonded Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDSymbol Rate (Ksym/sec)Frequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)
LockedATDMA295120 Ksym/sec42600000 Hz57.0 dBmV

This page eventually stopped loading when I can only assume the gateway updated it's routing table.  Again I can redo the test if you think anything will change by plugging directly into it

Highlighted

Can definitely see drop of 50 % in the received power level of the set using the splitter. -3.5 dbmv to -7.0 dbmv (A drop of 3 db is drop of 50%)

I am not a cabling connection expert and can't tell you if there is anything wrong with the figures without the splitter. Perhaps @Yastiandrie would know if there is anything wrong with the cable connection without a splitter.

Upstream powers too high. Will need a tech visit.

Issues more then likely outside in the pit
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
matt144

I still have this problem and I've been chatting to telstra to try and rectify this but they tell me that the power level is fine? Any more advice on what I can do now to fix it, as telstra think there is no issue.

Only suggestion is to try again

There's definitely an issue if you cant have foxtel + internet via a splitter at the same time
Also anything over 55dBmv for upstream power is 100% considered a fault
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
matt144

Well they agreed to send a tech out and just gave me a warning that if it's anything telstra supplied that is at fault they will repair, but if its anything else then I need to pay. Waiting to get scheduled in for a tech visit so hopefully it can be resolved soon.

Thanks Yastiandrie

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now