Cozzy21
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra NBN (HFC) Routing

So as i live in WA I have always had a lower ping to several Asian countries (such as Singapore) than I could get connecting to game servers in Sydney. That all changed about 6 months ago, undersea cables went down and my ping to Asia was 200+ (rather than 50). This is something I am very used to, the cables fail all the time, but NEVER for 6 months straight, and not only that, but now my ping to Asia is 320+, the worst I have ever seen it, meanwhile my ping to NA/EU servers is the same as it has always been.

So... WHY IS TELSTRA HOPELESS AT ROUTING TRAFFIC TO ASIA?

They do realise how many undersea cables run directly from Perth to Singapore right? it's literally easier than routing traffic across our own country.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra NBN (HFC) Routing

Once the new Indigo cable is live you should see improved latency.

For consumer services there is no guaranteed latency.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Cozzy21
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Telstra NBN (HFC) Routing

As I feared Smiley Sad so sad that there are perfectly good cables that aren't being used by certain ISP's
cables are only half the problem though, searching for "WA asia telstra routing" gave me a migraine, notorious issue that goes back at least 7 years.
It makes me wonder how I ever managed to get lucky for the first few months I was with Telstra, until 6 months ago I didn't notice any difference in latency to asia from when I was with Amnet (who DO use one or more of those perfectly good cables that aren't broken) Smiley Tongue

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more