Highlighted
DatAmazingChees
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra NBN Speeds Inconsistant & Slow

Answered

Hello, I currently have NBN installed in my house. 

I have a TG797n v3, I am currently experiancing SUPER slow inconsistant speeds. Telstra claims with NBN that you will get internet speeds of and I quote;

NBN can provide download line speeds into the home up to 25Mbps and upload speeds from the home up to 5Mbps (25/5Mbps) when downloading from capable sites or across multiple sites but average speeds will be lower.

I just did a speedtest at speedtest.net and I was shocked.

speedtest1.png

Im currently getting on average 200kb/s download and 50kb/s upload. I haven't gone over my limit, and even at the start of this month when we get the data rollover the network speeds were still slow and inconsistant. I like playing online games and I also experience ping spikes, I usually get 50ms on average to Australian servers but now that spikes to a constant 100ms+.

If anyone could shine some light on this problem it would really help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra NBN Speeds Inconsistant & Slow

Hi, 

That is not a good speed for NBN.  Go through the following Basic NBN troubleshooting before calling in to see if any of this will fix your issue.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-Basic-troubleshooting/ta-p/...

I would specifically recommend trying the following which is listed on the aforementioned link under the title Speed issues:

1. Restart the modem and test the speed once it has finished reconnecting.
2. Connect your computer directly to the UNI-D port on the NTD and compare the speedtest results. If it has improved, the modem may need to be returned to factory defaults.  If the speed issues continue then contact Tech Support, on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) Option 3, to investigate further.

General speed troubleshooting tips can also be found on the following thread: 

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
49 REPLIES 49
Level 23: Superhero

Hmmm, not a real pretty picture you posted there.

With NBN technical issues I normally reccomend that you make direct contact with the appropriate tech people who can walk you through a check process over the phone to get things straighten out and working the way they should. The NBN really is a specilaist arrangement.

Give them a call at tel:1800834273

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi, 

That is not a good speed for NBN.  Go through the following Basic NBN troubleshooting before calling in to see if any of this will fix your issue.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-Basic-troubleshooting/ta-p/...

I would specifically recommend trying the following which is listed on the aforementioned link under the title Speed issues:

2. Connect your computer directly to the UNI-D port on the NTD and compare the speedtest results. If it has improved, the modem may need to be returned to factory defaults.  If the speed issues continue then contact Tech Support, on 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) Option 3, to investigate further.

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Michael_Darwin
Level 2: Rookie

I am on a Telstra UPTO 100/40 and over the last couple of months the speed has consistantly dropped to less than a third of that.

31/13 at the moment - it is 3:30 PM now - later in the evens it has dropped to half that.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4606112351

For the price they charge and the fact they lock you into a contract for 24 months - I think it is less than satisfactory.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Michael,

Did you try some of the steps Ben provided? They may help boost speeds if they're lower than normal.

Brodie

Michael_Darwin

When our NBN service was first connected we experianced for memory close to 95/35. We haven't change any of the equipment our end. Connect by ethernet cable (not wireless).

Anyway thanks for your reply. I just wanted have my speed test noted for the record as I will be seeking to break my 24 month contract in the next couple of weeks if this doesn't improve.

I'll post some more tests - and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Michael

DatAmazingChees

@Ben_Telstra wrote:

Hi, 

- Ben

I tried everything you posted, turning off everything, restoring to factory default, etc.

Yet to no avail, the speeds are still appauling. Also I am currently at 21% my 500GB data allowance so I have no clue why it would be slowing down.

I'm probably just going to go to the Telstra store and consult whoever is there if they know anything or calling the number you posted. Thanks for the help though!

Michael_Darwin

Another test of my 100/40 telstra FTTP service this time 7:30 AM - result 27/14 Mbps.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DatAmazigChees,

If you go to a Telstra store they will probably just put you in touch with our Tech support team.  You can contact Tech Support, on 1800 834 273, Option 3 so that they can look into it further.

- Ben 

Michael_Darwin

Just for the record another test of my 100/40 Telstra NBN Fibre service.

This time 1:20 PM 32/12 mbps.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Michael, 

You mentioned

• I just wanted have my speed test noted for the record as I will be seeking to break my 24 month contract in the next couple of weeks if this doesn't improve. I'll post some more tests - and thanks for taking the time to reply.

CrowdSupport is 'Where customers answer questions and share ideas about our products and services'.  Spamming this thread will not get the results you are after.  If you wish to break to contract your will need to do so via the official means.  If you have been through to our tech support team and have an unresolved fault, then you can contact our Saves team on 132000 and saying internet or the Complaints team via any of the methods listed on the following web page

- Ben 

Michael_Darwin

Thanks Ben - I am definately "sharing my ideas" about telstras 100/40 mbps service.

5:15 PM and still no improvement. 37/13 mbps

Michael_Darwin

Let me share this one with you as well Ben - my Darwin Telstra 100/40 fibre connection measured at 3:45 PM:

30/10 mbps (directly connected).

AUphantoms

I have been on the NBN for about 1 month now. During this time i had to replace my Telstra Suppied Gateway Max modem. as it waas faulty. but my speeds are in the morning what i would expect. Come after 3.00pm when peak downloads occures my speeds drop dramacally. where my upload speed is better than my download speed. I have spoken to so many Telstra people and they have given me ref# that don't seem to exist when i call back. I was was told that the Exchange at Tullamrine was being updated due to the NBN going active in the Craigieburn area. Telstra was some what caught short by the popularity of the NBN . The peak downloads remind me of dial up. which i assume Telstra and NBN will not like. I have spoken to NBN they tell me it's Telstra fault as they need to raise a ref# for them yet Telstra say that NBN don;t have enough techinical people to do this. Now my plan which was the large bubdle $99.00 permonth has been changed without my consent. i am now on the $90.00 500Gb nstead of the 1Tb. Of course no one from Telstra can tell me why i have been changed. It was changed for me about 3 week s ago and now has been changed back to 500Gb. I spoke to a sales person from Craigieburn store and he mentioned that i could aske Telstra instead of giving me a $10.00 month credit due to the plan change that i could get a speed boost .Yet no one knows anything about this. what am i to do. i am only a simple person.Telstra needs to do more an look after it's customer. I find it it very hard dealing with call centers not here in Australia as they do not know the issues here. Although i have spoken to some lovely people who i know want to help but i always get dissapointed.  

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

HI AuPhantoms, 

It's disappointing to read your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us. 

In relation to the plan issue, if this has been incorrectly changed, you just need to ask our 24x7 Support team   http://tel.st/hsc3 to  put you  back on the 1TB plan you initially requested. 

Our Team can also provide you with information regarding the speed boost. https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/Broadband-Speeds-ADSL-Cable-NBN-and-Veloc...

Kind Regards 

G1B5ON

Has anyone got a resolved issue yet?

I am having the same problems where my upload speed is at 18mbps and download speed is at 5mpbs.

My old ADSL download speed averages were much better at around 12mbps to 15mbps.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi G1B5ON,

If you've tried the trouble shooting steps listed above (link) focusing especially on the steps listed under the title Speed Issues with no improvement please contact our Tech Support, on 1800 834 273, so that they can investigate this further for you.

Metal

same here. for nearly a month now the connection has been slow. downloads are really slow that it even dropped down to 30kbps.

rang tech support last week and i have followed the instructions, but it hasnt helped my problem. really frustrated here since i cant not even play online due very high ping.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Metal,

I do apologise that you have been experiencing issues with your NBN services. 

I would recommend getting in touch with our NBN Assurance Teams on 1800834273 then option 3. Prior to this I would recommend running through our NBN issues guide here Broadband Speeds (ADSL, Cable, NBN and Velocity) as you should not be getting 30Kbps for your internet speeds.

Metal

thanks, i will ring them up again. once i have more time. lately im really busy.

Tech2
Level 3: Gumshoe

6 months now i been going back and forward with the same fault and got the same dribble back Nbn is not working as promised we can't get a pissy 100 meg we get 20meg if your lucky ,download where Germany gets 900 meg  It's a joke And we are paying for it..

Tech2

I got the same problem slow speed when busy
Tech2

I Got 2 speed boost as well and still get buffering ..
Level 24: Supreme Being

It might not be the link. It could be conjestion. No matter how fast the link is you well get buffering if the route to the streamin server is conjested.

BranoStanka

Hi There,

I just had currently my NBN installed in my house.

My internet speed is very slow around 4Mbps (even slower than my previos adsl cable connection). My previous speed was aroundd 36Mbps.

Really dissapointed with service and overall NBN. I wish I can go back to my previous connection. I do belive whole NBN is step back then step forward. Why would you sell or provide to people something what is worst than you used to have before. That's not making any sense for me.

I Tried to contact the customer service last week, and was told they will call me next day to check my speed because I was in Provisional mode....Someone contacted me two days ago (after one week) and asked me if I am happy with service. I complained that my speed is redicilously slow and worst than before the customer representative gave me a number to technical support....Calling right now and waiting already  2 hours on the line (22:30 at the moment).,,still nothing happened.

I understand delays , but this is probably so many people complaining about overall approx. 90billion dollars internet improvment cost. But we having slower speed and we go backwards..   This is speed of my new NBN network..I hope I am still not in the provisional mode..hahaha

Pretty shame really.

Test.JPG

PLease is there anyone who could help? Thanks for all info

Regards, Brano

Maximum speed on adsl is 28 mbps. You must have had a very good adsl connection.

Have you tried the speed test at different times during the day. The low speed could be due to network congestion or pc downloading updates.

You can check the actual link speed by login into the gateway.

http://10.0.0.138

admin/admin

admin/password

admin/blank (no password)

In the sagemcom gateway it Rhs of home screen advanced.

Most FTTN services will provide at least 25/5 u less they are greater than 800M from node.

If you had a central splitter or back to base alarm system that hasn't been removed correctly thix could cause a poor line speed.

Ev32

I believe you can terminate the contract as they have broken the deal as set buy thier contract

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

BT implemented FTTN and read comments from ex BT (British Telecom) Chief Technology Officer here:

https://delimiter.com.au/2012/04/30/fttn-a-huge-mistake-says-ex-bt-cto/

Quotes from the article:

And reliability was also an issue. “The number one fault problem with copper is water ingress,” Cochrane told the parliament. “Fibre does not care about water … The fault level in an optical network goes down very low. You can reduce manning, buildings, power consumption and everything.”

Cochrane had much to say. “I am saying that it will not do what it says on the tin,” he told the parliament. “One of the things that amuses me greatly is “up to 20Mbps”. It is like “up to 5,000 cornflakes” in my box, but there are three. It does not help. It is an absurd product description. If anything needs deleting from the English language, it is “up to”.”

wgd

Been on nbn for a while now and so so slow. Tbox takes ages to load. Prior to the nbn we had no problems and we are so disapointed with this product.This was supposed to be the super fast internet but instead it is pathetic. Who organised this disaster?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi wgd,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your NBN service, have you spoken to our Technical Support Team on 1800 834 273? They can run through some troubleshooting with you to work out where the problem lies and get it resolved as quickly as possible.

-Dylan

User2303
Level 4: Private Eye

The problem with the NBN Technical Support Team is most of them don't seem to have any Technical knowledge. 

NoChoices

Well today I applied to have my existing landline & adsl services changed over to the NBN as it has just become available in our area, and then I stumbled upon this thread!!!!!!!!!

Imagine you can all feel my anxiety and smell my fear after reading through the thread.

I would like to ask the corporate Telstra contributors a question, and I would be extremely grateful if you could answer in a "no nonsense", "no hiding behind policy, procedure, protocol" way.

Q. Why are so many Telstra NBN customers on here complaining about the NBN system, the actual speeds attained, and difficulty in getting quick, accurate resolution to their problems?

It seems that all you are offering is 1) look at this website 2) do all the resets 3) call this number

Why isn't the NBN working as advertised and promised?

W201
Level 14: Field Agent

@NoChoices

What type of NBN are you getting?

• Fibre to the premises (FTTP). The best and future proof and ready for 1 Gbps broadband anytime in future.
  • Fibre to the node (FTTN). The most common, not future proof, and potentially the most unreliable.
  • Fibre to the building (FTTB). Similar to FTTN.
  • Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC)
  • nbn™ Fixed Wireless
  • Sky Muster™

If you are getting FTTP, it should be okay.

If you are getting FTTN, it would be hard to predict.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/NBN-is-too-slow-How-do-we-go-b...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/Switching-to-NBN-from-ADSL-Bun...

Vulcan
Level 10: Junior Detective

NoChoices You don't have to move to nbn for 18 months once it is available. Hold off moving to the nbn because of the speed problems. There are thousands wishing that they had not moved over to the nbn so quickly. If you have good speeds with what you have at present hold off as long as you can. Don't be conned by the nbn and telstra BS of fast speeds. nbn and telstra are a compleat mess at the moment.
Phocques

Well, I came here searching for an answer to my, slightly unique situation, which is, while my internet works, my phone keeps dropping out(??)  NBN and phone were a brand-new install in Nov of 2016 - new modems, new router, new phone, everything with fibre to the house.  My plan is 100/40 with Telstra with speed boost, but of course I have NEVER attained anything near those speeds - at best on all the logs I've done over the past few months, I can average 42/19 and in peak times my DL/UL speed will be the same if not more for the UL, which makes no sense.

On the phone issue - the phone has dropped out at least half a dozen times over the past 5 months - the first few calls were to Telstra who stated that I had to call NBN because they rent the line from Telstra - so I call NBN who run a test on the line and state the line is fine - of course it is, the fault is no doubt in the exchange with Telstra, but they won't start a ticket for a fix because it crosses the "contractual" line in their agreement with NBN.

As for running tests - both NBN and Telstra will just tell you to "turn it off and turn it on" - the old cycle the modem trick, unplug it for 30secs etc., but of course we all know this is a 'last resort' fix.

The issue is quite simply that Telstra and NBN Australia have not figured out how to handle the capacity that Australia needs when it comes to the provision of the internet and all that it offers - they got it wrong, are having a hard time trying to fix it and won't readily admit that.

I wish everyone luck in fixing your issues, but it won't happen soon...

tinaskaros

hi. ive recently had nbn and let me say im far from impressed. The internet is slow and keeps dropping out. i have tried tech support and no help. it jas been rebooted etc and checked but no answer. I have a technician coming out now. I have actually paid for now extra speed for an extra $20.00 per month. The speed is now back to what i had with my old internet. Not happy at all. why should i pay for something i use to get before.
Jennix2000

Omfg - sooo over NBN and all the bull. Slow slow slow! We had to switch as they had made our area available in the early uptake stages. Waited till we had to. Adsl2 was soooo much quicker - cant even watch a movie, foxtel on demand takes ages to download etc forget it if 2 people want to stream something at the same time. Tried thd restart etc troubleshoot and still the same - what a load of bollocks getting speed test of 4mbps - not good enough!!!! So if i only fet a tiny bit of the speed I'm supposed to why not pay a tiny bit of the fee? I will be on the phone tomorrow!!!!!
Jennix2000

So follow up - Telstra phone call to tech support blamed their own modems - TG797 as being old technology & causing conflict!!??!!  So as they have just recontracted me they are sending me new modem TG800 to see if it will fix......stay tuned. 45 minutes on phone to tell me connection is "passing" and they have no way of being able to tell what speed it is running at onlly that it is on & connected. 

Also told me that I can only obtain maximum of 17-18 MBPS in my area even though I have the up to 25MBPS plan, my connection is also Fibre to the Premises FTTP.  The tech support consultant then went on to say I could buy a speed boost & it may work, even though he decribed this as a product that would allow multiple devices to connect at once.  Explained I just want one to work at this point, he then tried to tell me it "could improve it"  I suggested it may also not improve it either there are no guarantees. 

So when I reboot modem I get 12-14MBPS then it slows within minutes to 4MBPS.  Have tried peak & non peak.

Next step is to log with NBN if the new modem does not improve. 

ADSL2 was quicker why did we take a step backwards.  we were forced to this network stating our copper lines were being de-comissioned, so had no choice. 

Jennix2000

@Jennix2000 wrote:
Omfg - sooo over NBN and all the bull. Slow slow slow! We had to switch as they had made our area available in the early uptake stages. Waited till we had to. Adsl2 was soooo much quicker - cant even watch a movie, foxtel on demand takes ages to download etc forget it if 2 people want to stream something at the same time. Tried thd restart etc troubleshoot and still the same - what a load of bollocks getting speed test of 4mbps - not good enough!!!! So if i only fet a tiny bit of the speed I'm supposed to why not pay a tiny bit of the fee? I will be on the phone tomorrow!!!!!

So follow up - Telstra phone call to tech support blamed their own modems - TG797 as being old technology & causing conflict!!??!!  So as they have just recontracted me they are sending me new modem TG800 to see if it will fix......stay tuned. 45 minutes on phone to tell me connection is "passing" and they have no way of being able to tell what speed it is running at onlly that it is on & connected. 

Also told me that I can only obtain maximum of 17-18 MBPS in my area even though I have the up to 25MBPS plan, my connection is also Fibre to the Premises FTTP.  The tech support consultant then went on to say I could buy a speed boost & it may work, even though he decribed this as a product that would allow multiple devices to connect at once.  Explained I just want one to work at this point, he then tried to tell me it "could improve it"  I suggested it may also not improve it either there are no guarantees. 

So when I reboot modem I get 12-14MBPS then it slows within minutes to 4MBPS.  Have tried peak & non peak.

Next step is to log with NBN if the new modem does not improve. 

ADSL2 was quicker why did we take a step backwards.  we were forced to this network stating our copper lines were being de-comissioned, so had no choice. 

Manps

Rubbish here too 7.0 Mbps it was better on ADSL ☹️
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Manps

Have you spoken with our NBN Support team to see if there is anything that we can do to improve the speeds that you're receiving?

If not, they're available 24x7 on 1800 TFIBRE to lend a hand. 

Tech2

Re: Telstra NBN Speeds Inconsistant & Slow and getting worse ..

Everyone has the same problem,

Thousands of complaints about slow speeds in peak periods, They just take our money ..and give a dribble respone check you modem ...a Discrace ..

Tech2

Q. Why are so many Telstra NBN customers on here complaining about the NBN system, the actual speeds attained, and difficulty in getting quick, accurate resolution to their problems?

zombiekil

I was paying for 100/40 but telstra put me on 50/20 I not even getting that.

Speed is just bad.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi zombiekil

Information about plan speeds can be located on this CrowdSupport page  https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/Broadband-Speeds-ADSL-Cable-NBN-and-Velocity/ta...

We also have online troubleshooting information https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Broadband-nbn/How-To-Troubleshoot-Speed-Issues/ta-p/278139

Our Support Team are open 24x7 via 1800 834 273 to discuss any questions you have about your speed and troubleshoot for you.

craigie66

Our NBN is incredibly slow. I have just downloaded the app Speetest. My result was
Down load 0.25
Up load 0.24
Ping. 13

I now need to know if this is normal, slow or whatever please? I live in Mount Victoria 2786. We have not been happy since connecting two months ago. We have dropouts, slow downloads of photos, text. Newspapers are so slow we might as well not bother reading them. We need help please. We are pensioners and are quite computer savvy but this is beyond us. Elaine
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Craigie66,

If you are experiencing slower speeds, our troubleshooting tool may be able to help, otherwise our NBN Support team can help further on 1800 834273. They are open 24x7

Tech2

Mine the same now peak periods nbn is useless now ..slow slower stops..

WTFtelstra1

Download speed is 882kbps And upload is 98kps like what is going on telstra family plan grrrrr
WTFtelstra1

I'm on 758kbps not even a mb

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now