CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Rob691
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra NBN speeds & test discrepancy

Answered

Recently tried to upgrade my cable plan, and Telstra has forced me onto NBN. So NBN techs installed earlier this week, and internet speeds have been terrible! I'm only on the 25 Mbps plan, but can hardly load a youtube page, let alone watch a video.

I've turned on/off, reset gateway router to factory settings, and even removed the FAM-3 line attenuator the tech installed - no change.

Speed tests have shown:

-http://www.speedtest.net - download 0.22 Mbps, upload 0.24 Mbps

-https://www.ozspeedtest.com/bandwidth-test/ - download 0.19 Mbps

-http://speedtest.telstra.com - download 23.2 Mbps, upload 4.3 Mbps

Why the huge discrepancy between Telstra speedtest and the others?

And what does this suggest the problem is with my connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rob691
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra NBN speeds & test discrepancy

All fixed. It WAS just the shaping.

Maybe shaping slows everything else, but doesn't change the speed of access through Telstra's servers??

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Rob691

*off/on... you know what I mean!

Level 24: Supreme Being

Telstra speed test uses the same Ookla Speed Test that is at speedtest.net so it would be the server selected would be the only real difference. At least in theory. I have never noticed that sort of difference, so it is interesting.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Rob691

General internet performance is far more consistent with the lower estimates though, so why is Telstra's test result so inflated? Why would I be getting such low speeds on everything else but this?

In ookla can you try selecting other servers in the speed test.net and see if it gives you different results. .2Mbps is excessively slow, to the point you would struggle to even load YouTube let alone being able to get any video open. It could however suggest that you have been shaped (due to usage over your allowance or non-payment) but that again wouldn't explain the Telstra server being so much higher.

Might be worth trying the troubleshooting here - tel.st/cares that should eliminate anything in your end and will give you a reference number that if you do speak to support you can provide and save some time on troubleshooting.

Otherwise could be worth checking the line stats in your modem because it would be interesting to see what it shows.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Rob691

Shaping possible, as need to update the size of the plan was the reason I had to make the change. Of course, now that on the new plan it has 497GB remaining, but could they have left the shaping on?

Any Telstra mods here that could check if shaping can be removed now I'm on my new plan?

The staff here generally are not able to access accounts because of the unsecured nature of the platform. A quick call to NBN Assurance on 1800TFIBRE should be able to get an unshape order done for you and get it back up to speed for you, normally that order goes through in about 15 min - 4 hours.

That could also provide some idea why it was different for the Telstra speed test as that is unmetered I am pretty sure so should still access the full speed... (it used to be once the service was shaped all services were shaped but to allow people to access Foxtel when shaped as an example unmetered content still works when shaped now).

Helpful Links

Rob691
Accepted Solution

All fixed. It WAS just the shaping.

Maybe shaping slows everything else, but doesn't change the speed of access through Telstra's servers??

View solution in original post

Yeah. Must be an unmetered service so it isn't triggering it to get slowed by the shaping. Good it is fixed though.
Helpful Links

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now