Highlighted
Freddo15
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Smart Modem - Frontier: no internet

Answered

Just installed the new supplied Telstra SmartModem (Frontier), all lights green, it is working on fall back to mobile network as the NBN FTTN is not working (a work in progress). I can access modem login screen via WIFI and Ethernet, I can login to modem ok but no internet pages load, nil, nothing no messages other than timeout. Using IE and Firefox, restored both browsers to default, clear caches.

I did see where Windows reported IPV4 and IPV6 no internet access but after a reboot of both modem and pc IPV6 reports internet access, IPV4 no internet. Still have no browser pages loading other than the modem login. Same problem across all devices, Win7 PC, smartphone and android tablet. All IP settings for DHCP, no IP hard coded, modem settings as per default I have not changes any default modem setting. Everything on modem looks correct, do not understand why IPV4 sees no internet but IPV6 reports as internet connected. This one has me beat, any suggestions appreciated. Past experience of Telstra support has been not positive for when it gets technical and I don't want to repeat the same instructions for the 100th time to check or replace cables, reboot/reset, wait endless hours or to be told its a network outage - you know the drill. Hoping the crowd can assist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem - Frontier: no internet

It looks like you are connected to node but Telstra has not finished setting up your service.

I would leave it running on backup with DSL port disconnected  until Telstra notifies you that your service has been activated. The phone does not work when working on backup.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9

Could you post the Broadband page info of the modem.

If working on backup all lights should not be green. Would expect link light to be off, and online light to be magenta. For a FTTN connection nothing should be connected to the WAN port and if you are still waiting for the FTTN try disconnecting the DSL port. 

Freddo15

Thanks cf4 for the reply.
At risk of scaring you off, lots of photos here.All photos with titles.

As suggested by you I disconnected the FTTN and the modem did fallback to mobile with access to internet immediately given with no change to any device. When plug FTTN back in internet access lost. Can confirm nothing plugged into WAN port.

When on mobile access lights "OnLine" is mauve, "Signal" is green, photo below.

Broadband info screen when mobile connection are 2 photos below

To compare I have included the same screens when connected by FTTN broadband screens and lights.

Finally I have included 2 images of the menu screen when by mobile and FTTN connections respectively. 

That should keep you busy!

Do you see anything?

I do now have internet by fallback mobile from the Frontier modem, when I first posted the fallback mobile connection did not work, now it does.

I am unsure if the FTTN has been made working and I need to make setup adjustments or if the FTTN connection has yet to be made active.  No update or notice from Telstra if work done.

lights_mobile.pnglights when FTTP removed, internet by fallback mobilelights_BB.pnglights when FTTP connected, no internet service, phone does workIf you need any other info let me know.

Thanks again.

Thanks for providing the images. It could be that Telstra has not finished connecting you to the NBN. One thing that doesn't look right is the slow VDSL speed 2.08 up and 13.9 down.

Could you provide a screen shot of

Advanced > Broadband  > DSL stats and Advanced > Broadband  > DSL Diagnostics

One thing you could try is factory resetting modem

The last few images contain sensitive information so I have asked moderator to remove them.
It best to remove any information such as WiFi passwords or WAN IP addresses before posting images.
Freddo15

My mistake, I didn't see it or realise.
Thanks
Freddo15

Titled screen grabs for when FTTN connected and unplugged / mobile active

Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats

and

Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics

FTTN_DSL stats.jpgFTTN connected: Advanced > Broadband > DSL statsFTTN_DSL Diagnostics_1.jpgFTTN connected:Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics (1)FTTN_DSL Diagnostics_2.jpgFTTN connected:Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics (2)MOBILE_DSL stats.jpgFTTN unplugged / mobile active: Advanced > Broadband > DSL statsMOBILE_DSL Diagnostics_1.jpgFTTN unplugged / mobile active: Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics (1)MOBILE_DSL Diagnostics_2.jpgFTTN unplugged / mobile active: Advanced > Broadband > DSL Diagnostics (2)

Accepted Solution

It looks like you are connected to node but Telstra has not finished setting up your service.

I would leave it running on backup with DSL port disconnected  until Telstra notifies you that your service has been activated. The phone does not work when working on backup.

Freddo15

I appreciate your time and advice I was unsure as what I was looking at and what to expect.
Will use the backup and wait to be advised NBN fully connected.
Thankyou.

Normally the Gateway can be connected to the phone line and work on back while waiting for connection to NBN but it looks like there must have been a previous NBN service at your residence with another provider.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more