Tqbfjotld
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 refusing to using NBN data.

Answered

We have had two Gen 2 modems, neither of which have ever made use of the broadband internet from the NBN Connection Box. Both have only ever used the "mobile backup" mode. After a month no one from technical support seems to be able to fix this, so I'm a bit desperate...

To be clear on terms (it seems very inconsistent), we have:

A FTTC (Fibre to the Curb) connection, with 

An NBN Connection box (in fact, a modem) which has

• a yellow ethernet port,

which delivers streaming fast 46Mpbs data to any other ethernet enabled device plugged in via the Telstra supplied ethernet cable with yellow and red ends. So I think we can safely guess that NBN is off the hook on this.

A Telstra "Gen2" box which includes:

• a red port (for the above mentioned cable),
  • yellow ports (which presumably would deliver blazingly fast internet to any device plugged in,
  • a phone port (green) (which is plugged into the phone),
  • a SIM card,
  • Wifi.

The "Gen2" box (once running) has a blue light on the front and 5 green lights on the back (see image).

Modem lights.jpegGen2 Modem status lights

Based on this, and the material in the box and online we know that it is relying on the "Mobile Backup". Initially this provides internet at about 5Mbps. After three days, I receive messages from Telstra:

URGENT: Reconnect to your primary home broadband service immediately to avoid having your backup mobile connection restricted. Need Help? Contact us on 133 933.

asking me to fix the broadband connection, them my internet speed drops to 0.01-0.02 Mbps. Nobody at 133 933, after 45 - 60 minutes on hold seems to know what to do about this.

14 calls to Technical support have failed to overcome this ... no one can tell me why the "Gen2" box (which has a green light next to the WAN/DSL label) won't use or redistribute the NBN speed internet.

The process of calling is frustrating, as I've explained this many times, reset the modem and the NBN box many times, unplugged and replugged on behalf of very enthusiastic telephone support persons. We've updated the modem serial number details a few times ... the first time did succeed in making the phone work, but none of the times since has changed much. Promises to call me back at 18:30 aren't met, and if I am called back, at say 11:00, the person at the other end appears surprised that I'm at work, and offers to call back later...

So my questions are:

• Is this a dud modem (my second one)?
  • Can Telstra fix this?
  • Does Telstra actually care about fixing this?
  • Is there any reason not to use another provider, or will it just be the same problem.

I'll just add that if you are going to say "we will  fix this in 24 hours", don't. I won't believe it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 refusing to using NBN data.

There are known problems with the Arcadyan modem. There is a firmware update currently being tested but in the mean time if you don't have an old modem with a WAN port or router you can use request a replacement Technicolor modem from support.

If both modems didn't have vent holes then they are the Arcadyan version. Image below shows the difference between the two modems.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 22: Superhuman

If you connect a computer via ethernet to the NBN NCD that the Telstra modem currently connects to, is your computer able to access the internet?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Have both your replacement modems been the Arcadyan version of the Gen 2?

Tqbfjotld

Yes, presuming that the NCD is the box, that is what I meant by:
"delivers streaming fast 46Mpbs data to any other ethernet enabled device plugged in via the Telstra supplied ethernet cable with yellow and red ends"
Tqbfjotld

Not quite sure about both... (they appear identical apart from the barcodes sticker), but the current one reports Arcadyan when looking at the http://mygateway page

When the computer is connected via ethernet, can you see in the ethernet adapter settings on the computer if the connection is coming through as gigabit or 100mbps connection type.

Additionally are you in a free standing house or duplex or set of small appartments or some residential village?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Accepted Solution

There are known problems with the Arcadyan modem. There is a firmware update currently being tested but in the mean time if you don't have an old modem with a WAN port or router you can use request a replacement Technicolor modem from support.

If both modems didn't have vent holes then they are the Arcadyan version. Image below shows the difference between the two modems.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

Tqbfjotld

No holes in either... sounds like bad news for the modem, rather than anything else.

Tqbfjotld

> When the computer is connected via ethernet, can you see in the ethernet adapter settings on the computer if the connection is coming through as gigabit or 100mbps connection type.

Not quite sure... when the computer is connected to the NBN Box or the Gen2?

> Additionally are you in a free standing house or duplex or set of small appartments or some residential village?

Free standing house... would that change it?

When connected to the Gen 2. From memory unless the ethernet port on the NCD is communicating at gigabit the modem wont phone home to Telstra.

My other thought is there is a serial mismatch or the port on the DPU your house is wired too is marked incorrect in the system. Essentially you may have a neighbor's connection (whom would be on another isp) as you can get data but the modem cant connect.

Either way Id be calling Telstras NBN team on 1800 834 273 to look into your issue further

Tqbfjotld

Thanks for your rapid replies Smiley Happy

I've called the NBN team around 11 times now, so I'm kind of loosing faith. I'm intrigued at the suggestion there might be a systematic fault in the modems... I've had two, and nothing that anyone has done yet has helped.

FWIW, is there really such a thing as a "Level 3 Support" - a number of times consultants have said they will refer me to "level 3 support", who will call me in 3-5 days, but I've never been called. I'm wondering if it is a code...?

There have been some issues with the Gen 2 modems but they dont really fall into the issue youre having per say. There is a level 3 team, Ive met some of them. However normally level 2 would escalate to level 3 from my understanding. Though I haven't seen you're case from Telstras side of things with all the tools id normally use.

Highlighted
Tqbfjotld

Hi cf4, it turns out this was (for me at least) the solution. I now have a Technicolor modem, and it just worked straight out of the box with my FTTC (even though the packaging only mentions FTTN and FTTB)

For those receiving the boxes for the first time, the packaging looks like:

Modem_boxes.jpgShipping boxes for Telstra "Gen2"

Other comments:

1. ** NB ** This just worked. It didn't need:

a) someone somewhere to add the serial number or the MAC address etc etc. to the NBN database, which was going to take 24 hours. It just worked. which makes me think that all the time I spent waiting for changes to go through, (albeit slightly suspicious) was wasted! (and it was a bs line from technical support...?)

b) No amount of reseting the modem was going to help; 

c) I can follow instructions... 

2. The contractor who fixed this suggested starting the modem without the SIM card in initially. Not sure if that is just anecdotal.

3. I'm not sure if the Telstra trouble shooting has yet realised that their complete lack of reference to FTTC is somewhat confusing.

Thanks again for the online help!

mrSneezy
Level 2: Rookie

I found this thread while trying hard to 'self help' a replacement cable modem issue matching the OP. I got a solution different to above that might help somebody, so I'll drop it here.

Preamble.
Our Gateway Max cable modem/router was destroyed by lightning in the early hours a few nights ago. Also blown up was every device plugged directly into the Gateway Max by Ethernet cable (which is not Telstra's problem and shouldn't be). The Gateway Max stank of burned plastic and not a LED worked, but the 240V power supply still measured 12V DC under a small load when tested separately so it was fine.
We consulted the local T shop in person, and they arranged a new modem to be sent out. Got it in three days which was fantastic service IMHO.

Installed new cable modem router.
The new unit is the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000 and companion cable adapter (the actual modem part).
I followed the very basic install note provided and the new modem and router sprang to life right way and we had internet access again. BUT, a few hours later we realised the download speed was quite slow compared to the Gateway Max, and a SpeedTest.net result of 5Mb confirmed it...

After a proper look at the cable adapter unit and the LH1000's LED's and GUI it was clear that we only had Mobile Mode working via the internal backup LTE module and no cable internet even though the cable adapters LED's were Green, the modem would not go to cable data.
I then tried all sorts of stuff over two nights to get the LH1000 to switch to cable data (and get full DL speeds back). Nothing worked for me or gave me a proper clue as to why (but I found this thread while doing all that stuff), until I decided to remove the LTE SIM card and restart the LH1000 without it...
Bingo moment, right away when opening the web browser, we got a new message that took us to the Telstra Captive Portal for modem registration... So removing the SIM forced the modem and router to try to register the actual cable adapter.
This had not happened in two days of try stuff, and finally my 'self help' got moving.
I tried the register the modem as you would. No luck, always a browser message back
'Call 1800 135 103 Problem Activating Gateway error CCP0012'.
I rang the number (next day during the right hours) and got an operator who asked the right questions and quickly worked out that the new modems MAC address was not updated on Telstra access system. He changed the MAC from the old Gateway Max's to the one underneath the cable adapter.
One modem reboot later we had full cable data access. Hooray.

A few things are worth noting here in context of our situation, which meets the description of the original topic.
One, is that the router did NOT go to the Telstra Captive Portal when opening a new browser window at any time, so I had no reason to think the modem was not registered on the cable side.
Two, the LED's on the cable adapter were all good (4 Green, 1 Blue) so I thought we had cable data working when there wasn't.
Three, it was the removal of the LTE sim that triggered the modem to lead me to the Captive Portal for registration and finally work out that registration of the cable adapter side was the problem.
Unless I missed a note in the shipping box there was nothing supplied to indicate I might need to call to get the replacement unit registered.

Hope this helps somebody sometime cut out some 'self help' time.
Smiley Happy
Sneezy

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more