CrowdSupport®
ranmac
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 set up for NBN

Answered

I am not very technically savvy so please bear with me (nearly 80yo). I live in an area where we get a lot of electrical storms. My Telstra Gateway NBN modem got wiped out last night in a severe electrical storm. Even though I had turned off the power at the wall, It was suggested that the damage was caused from a surge through the phone line. And if the phone had been connected through a surge protector power board, the damage may have been avoided.

So I now have a Smart Modem Gen 2. Following the instructions provided, the phone is now connected directly to the modem, no connection to the phone wall socket. Is this correct?

Should I connect the phone through the surge protector?

And should I also connect the power cord via the surge protector?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 set up for NBN

Your phone gets connected to the modem and the modem gets connected to the wall socket (preferably via the surge protector).

The power should be connected via a surge protector as well, but the best protection if you know that a storm is going to pass through then disconnect everything from the wall sockets.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Your phone gets connected to the modem and the modem gets connected to the wall socket (preferably via the surge protector).

The power should be connected via a surge protector as well, but the best protection if you know that a storm is going to pass through then disconnect everything from the wall sockets.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

@ranmac I sympathise with you, I have lost 3 modems over the years to do lightning strikes (Two of which was my old BBS days).

After the last strike I had a Telstra tech put a lightning arrester in the roof. They basically cut the phone wire and insert it in between. It actually looks like one of those old valves you had in the B/W TV's. It's the same thing that they put in the pits on the roads.

It's not a complete guarantee, in fact, if I am home when lightning is about I not only turn the modem off, I remove the phone plug from the wall.

Because a lightning strike might happen when I am not home I also have a pure sinewave ups that not only powers the modem/pc, but also has a phone line surge protector in it.

The phone cord from the wall plugs directly into the modem (Grey plug) and your home phone plugs directly into the modem (Green plug). Unlike the old ADSL days, there is no ADSL filter either (That the phone use to plug into).

Some surge protectors will interfere with the broadband connection. But generally those are the cheaper varieties that the phone cable plugs into, then from that it plugs into the modem. If you are just plugging the power of the modem into a surge protector that can't hurt, but that usually deals with power interference that you might get from fridges/microwaves on the same power circuit.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now