raymes
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Hi All,

I'm having a difficulties trying to connect 2.4GHz devices (e.g. iPhone 6s and Sonos Play:5 Gen 2) to this router.

The router is connected to Netgear modem supplied by Telstra.

It keeps telling me that I entered incorrect password for iPhone and unable to complete Sonos setup as it say there's an error on the wifi. SSID is discoverable but cannot connect.

Does anyone share similar issues?

Would appreciate any inputs/advise, thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

I do not have any issues with iPhone 5C, but one of the older Dell laptops is dropping 2.4GHz connection on Gen2 (Technicolor) modem while it was perfectly stable on Frontier...
But your problem seems to be bit different...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

OK, had two more of these dropouts today - each time, the modem decided to change the channel for the 2.4Ghz... I have now locked it to the channel that I have seen most of the time and will see what's happening...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Have you tried turning of band steering in the modem. To turn of band steering log into the modem and rempve tick next to band steering in the 2.4 GHz WiFi settings.

As far as my understanding of "band steering" goes, it should not matter for this laptop as it has a WIFI card that does 2.4Ghz only...

raymes

Yes, I have turned band steering off and have tried using 2 separate SSID for each frequencies without avail.

Is the router possible faulty? 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @raymes

Apologies for the delay in our reply and to hear of the frustration.

This is most certainly not the feedback we like to see coming from our customers.

Can I ask if you are still needing help with the mentioned problem on your account?

Please let me know so I can attempt to assist further.

- Stef

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

raymes

Hi Stef,
The issue remains as Telstra Smart modem/router still does not function well after about a week of use.
Issue was resolved by replacing it with an independent wifi router/AP that I purchased separately.
Can I obtain a refund from Telstra as this product is of no use?

ray
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @raymes,

In most cases, unless there's a fault with the modem and as it has already been opened then a refund cannot be processed.  In this case though, I recommend raising a complaint and your case manager will follow this up with you and discuss if there are any other alternatives available https://tel.st/r8qut. Let me know if you have any questions. 

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more