CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Smart Wi-Fi™ Booster question on connection and how interworks with existing WiFi network?

Looking at purchase of a twin pack to try to improve my WiFi coverage in the front area of the house. it seems that from what I have read so far about the setup that a connection is required from one of the boosters into the existing Telstra NBN modem to one of the yellow Lan/ethernet ports. I only have two of these on my modem and both are being used. Q. - So does this mean I now need to also purchase one of the newer smart modems that have more ports available to use or can I use an extender hub or similar to gain more ports?

Q. How does the interconnection between the two WiFi networks happen when you move about the house? I assume if you need to use the new WiFi booster name and password to connect to that network, that you are connecting to a different WiFi network than what you already have from the existing Telstra NBN Modem, or am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Re: Telstra Smart Wi-Fi™ Booster question on connection and how interworks with existing WiFi net...

Hi @alby21,

Thanks for reaching out. If you are looking at getting the most out of your Wi-Fi, you could upgrade to a Smart Modem as it has great coverage and it has 4 Ethernet ports.You could also buy a network switch from an IT store that acts like a power board and will give you more Ethernet ports.

Please bear in mind that with the boosters, you will need to turn off his modems Wi-Fi and connect to the booster's Wi-Fi.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit