CrowdSupport®
ybnice
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster

Answered

This new Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster - Mesh type Wi-Fi Extender is awesome and now have fantastic Wi-Fi coverage throughout my 2 Story Home and even outside in yard.  

Just wondering if anybody knows when availability will be to download Firmware Updates.  There was a Important Notification to download latest update in the Box.  The Check Button in Booster Settings just tries and tries to connect to Telstra but fails.  Or even better still, a Link to be able to download the Firmware updates and install - the Booster has this capability of being able to do this also.

“DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.” “MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.”

- Yoda -
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ybnice
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Booster

How I connected was by doing this as found it was the only way I could:-

1.  Get the Number off the back of the one you Ethernet in.  It will look something like this:-  TA-Mesh-WLAN-c77.
2.  Go to your Modem Settings (I have the Gateway Frontier).  Go to ADVANCED, then Devices.  Look down the list for the Hostname, the same named one which is Ethernet in as mentioned above;  ie TA-Mesh-WLAN-c77.  Take a Note of the IP address to the right; ie 192.168.0.99.
3.  Open up an Internet page and type in the applicable IP address; ie  192.168.0.99.
4.  Now your have the Full Control Panel for your Telstra Wi-fi Smart Booster.

I Bookmarked the Page and pinned it to my Google Bookmark Bar so never have to keep opening up the Modem to look for it each time I needed to do settings.

Hope this helps.

- Yoda -

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ybnice, 

Good to hear this device is working well for you. 

I've taken a look and can't see any updates listed for this device. It's a new product, so I'm assuming that the servers don't contain any updates yet, which is why the Check is timing out.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Janas93
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Kenobi for your reply.  I also assumed this to be the case but why put in brochure to update - all cool.

Yes, I would highly recommend to all with wi-fi dead/weak spots around your home.  This Booster does an awesome job to give your home and even yard full coverage.  For example; upstairs in front room of home is where it is ethernet in and get 5GHz good signal in yard at back of home and excellent for 2.4GHz.

DavidBuchanan

Hi, 

I recently set up my Smart Booster as well.

If you read the flyer carefully, it says that the link you use to go to the Control Panel has been updated. Originally it was "telstra.wifi" and the new one is "ta-mesh-wlan.home".

Presumably they had already had the stock with the old sticker on but for whatever reason updated the firmware and changed the name. It was probably easier to print a small flyer rather than replacing all the stickers on the back of the Boosters.

Don't worry~ All is good. Further firmware upgrades should come in due time.

JMOL1
Level 2: Rookie

How do I access the Booster settings. I have tried both telstra.wifi and ta-mesh-wlan.home in a browser and I just keep getting web pages.
Level 22: Superhuman

From my understanding, if you download the Telstra Home Dashboard app, you can control them from there.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

JMOL1

No you can't, I have tried that.
Level 24: Supreme Being

The home dashboard app control has been temporarily removed

Just to confirm: http://ta-mesh-wlan.home/ does not allow access? Have you got the main booster connected via Ethernet to the modem?

You can also check the modem GUI for the IP address of the main unit and enter that into the browser as well (E.g http://10.0.0.5)
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Just double checked and the Home Dashboard app should be supporting the Disc's again. Check to make sure the app is completely up to date

It should be under support (?) > setup device

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

fr05ty

Have spent the bulk of my weekend trying to get my brand new booster to work. Even Cable Support unable to help. Any hints or tips? And as for "telstra.wifi' in any browser, all I get is content and not a portal. Aaaarrrggghhh.
Thanks Smiley Happy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi thanks for reaching out, the Telstra Home Dashboard App is a fantastic app to accurately test your internet speed and see how you can improve your Wi-Fi coverage with our intelligent tools. For support on how to install the booster please see here https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/set-up/smart-wi-fi-booster. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to assist.

-Zoe 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

fr05ty

Hi Zoe - Having spent most of Sat and Sun rebooting, reloading, trouble shooting etc, etc, reading, forgetting wifi networks, you name it, I still can’t get the hardwired booster to connect, let alone pair it with the other one. Either I can’t follow simple instructions or I have a faultless pair of extenders. Any hints or tips greatly received.
Thanks Smiley Happy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The number to call for assistance with the Telstra Smart Wi-Fi is Telstra Platinum on: 137 587.

ybnice
Accepted Solution

How I connected was by doing this as found it was the only way I could:-

1.  Get the Number off the back of the one you Ethernet in.  It will look something like this:-  TA-Mesh-WLAN-c77.
2.  Go to your Modem Settings (I have the Gateway Frontier).  Go to ADVANCED, then Devices.  Look down the list for the Hostname, the same named one which is Ethernet in as mentioned above;  ie TA-Mesh-WLAN-c77.  Take a Note of the IP address to the right; ie 192.168.0.99.
3.  Open up an Internet page and type in the applicable IP address; ie  192.168.0.99.
4.  Now your have the Full Control Panel for your Telstra Wi-fi Smart Booster.

I Bookmarked the Page and pinned it to my Google Bookmark Bar so never have to keep opening up the Modem to look for it each time I needed to do settings.

Hope this helps.

- Yoda -

@Yastiandrie this may help the person connecting these to there nighthawke M1
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

danieldp1
Level 3: Gumshoe

I understand how you need to buy a pair to start with, but if I need two remote units..... can the second remote unit connect via the first wired unit – or do I need two wired units to run two remote units?

If you have 4, they will all connect via the first wired one. you'll just need to plug them in once for the initial setup

danieldp1

Thanks 343,

thats what I was hoping.......

havent tried to buy them yet, but from what I’ve read it’s not possible to buy an extra one (I.e. three units in total) you have to buy in pairs (hence my original question).

cheers

roble0

Did you get them to work? I'm having the same problems and, at this point in time, me thinks it's going back to Telstra on Monday via a very unhappy camper.
Support Team
Support Team

Apologies for any inconvenience you're currently experiencing @roble0

Troubleshooting tips and self-help is available on the Telstra Home Dashboard App (Android/iOS)

If you need further assistance with your Telstra Smart Wi-Fi Boosters, please contact us on 1800 870 580 between 7am–7pm AEST 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

roble0

WiFi boosters are now up and running after 45mins on phone with Telstra Platinum Support. No way I would have got them working without them, excellent over the phone support. However, they should not have been sold with the faulty settings that the tech had to resolve by Remote Management of my computer and the attached Technicolor Gateway.
Wizard2
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I have a feeling I was one of the support agents assisting with this one.

Based on the issue that was experienced, the device was not retrieving the wifi details from the modem like it was supposed to. By configuring the Smart Wifi Boosters with the details they needed, they started to do their job.

Just to note to those who have the same issue of the devices not broadcasting, please factory reset the devices and connect them to the modems yellow LAN port as soon as it is turned on to gather the wifi details. If it fails, open up the Smart Wifi Boosters web page, go into settings and configure the wifi name and password, hit save and they will begin to work as they should.
The internet is a wonderful place.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.
Highlighted
B214

After many searches on the Telstra Smart wifi boosters, I had the same issues, I could not get into them to see what was going on, and linking them all up via the Home Dashboard just didn’t work, the best advice was reading everyone’s post......thank you!!
Brendan75
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Having a read through this has made me sure I have a faulty set, as mine just keep dropping out all the time.
Telstra do say they only work with their own routers (ie: "SMART" Modem), but if you can manually configure they work okay with different routers, but you still need to do the initial setup using the Home Dashboard app.  Personally, I am okay with the Telstra Smart Modem as I only use basic stuff like simple port forwarding.  Speed is pretty well on par with any other device for what I do.

I'll see how the replacement set go. Hopefully I will have positive experience.

graham999au

I am having the same problem, however I cannot log into each disc via it's wifi network. I can see the hotspot but the password is not "telstra".

I rang Platinum Support, but I do not have a Platinum account, so they will not support me!!!

I have been told I had to purchase the disc's through my Telstra account, but I just purchased them on the Telstra web site, so again they will not support me.

This is ridiculous!!! Platinum Support agree they are the support team for this product, but I cannot get support! I don't know what to do.

You are correct, Platinum does and should provide support for the mesh discs at no cost.

Were you given a reference number at all?

graham999au

SR 1-1670336741173 is the reference number when I asked to make a complaint.

I'll get someone to call you today

graham999au

Thank you to Platinum Escalation Team for resolving this.

Follow these instructions exactly:

1. Factory reset the first disc of your second pair (press the reset button with a pin with power on, then turn it off).

2. With the initial base disc (the one plugged into your router) within range, plug the disc into the router, turn it on, and wait until solid blue.

3. Unplug the router cable, then turn it off. Wait 5 secs. Turn it on. It will eventually turn solid blue.

4. Repeat 1-3 for the second disc of the second pair.

No worries @graham999au

Glad we could get it sorted

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now