Warren84
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra and terrible support NBN drop outs and slow speed

Hi all I have been having terrible problems with my NBN connection dropping out and slow speeds after NBN Contractor digging in my service pit out side my house. Drop outs have been every 15 minuets or so and average speed is from 1 to 2 Mb/s down where before connection was seamless and around 30 Mb/s. After talking with Telstra technical support on the phone they insisted that my modem was the problem after repeatedly telling them its not the issue. They sent me a new modem and surprise it did not fix the problem on the phone again and was told I had to stair at the light on my modem all night to tell them if there were any changes and they were going to monitor from there end before escalating to NBN. Since then nothing has happened So I have wasted 4 hours of time on the phone getting asked the same question about my modem and my connection has been un-usable for about a month now. So My question is how do I get this resolved has anyone had any luck contacting NBN directly or am I stuck in connection purgatory. Any help would be great

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra and terrible support NBN drop outs and slow speed

You have to go through Telstra and I suggest that you lodge a complaint if you haven't done so already. You can lodge a complaint by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason off call say complaint or you can use online form. Telstra will appoint a case manager who will try to resolve the complaint. If Telstra is unable to fix the fault lodge a complaint with the TIO. The TIO complaint can be lodged against Telstra or NBN Co.

On low speed and drop out faults Telstra is required to try a new modem first before NBN Co will send a Technician. But NBN Co should have sent a Technician once it was proved that the modem was not faulty.

Could you post your line stats (Maximum Speed, Actual Speed, Attenuation, SNR Margin etc)? These could point to what is causing the low speed. You will find the line stats here on the different modems.

Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

Warren84

Hi cf4

Thank you for the information

I will take your advice and lodge a complaint 

line statistics are below  

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
13 minutes 15 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
 3.68 Mbps  2.44 Mbps
Line Rate
 3.65 Mbps  2.59 Mbps
Data Transferred
 4.58 MBytes  37.68 MBytes
Output Power
 5.9 dBm  10 dBm
Line Attenuation
 26.2, 53.0,N/A dB  27.1, 68.7,N/A dB
Noise Margin
 12.4 dB  11.5 dB

Today seems to be a good day look at that speed above 2 mbs 

Your Noise margin is double the normal noise margin for maximum link speed so a stability profile has kicked in  due to the constant drop this would result in the speed being lower but the main cause of the low speed is the high attenuation of the line.

If you were getting 30 Mbps before then there is fault causing the high attenuation. The fact that upload speed is higher than download speed is also a good indication that there is a fault.

NBN Co guarantees a minimum speed of 12 Mbps, they also guarantee less than 6 drop outs per 24 hours so there is no excuse for Telstra not escalating the fault to NBN Co and no reason why NBN Co should not send a Technician..

Warren84

Sounds about right was back on phone for an hour today so they could run "tests" again anyway got an nbn tech visit tomorrow so we will see how it goes. Still very disaapionted with the service
Warren84

NBN came to my house yesturday and suprise suprise they found a dodgy connection in the pit out in front of my house. They put a new scotch lock on and bam back to 30 Mbit if only Telsrta had of listened to me in the first place this would have been a relatively pain free process. NBN tech was great and very helpful. Telstra wasted my time did not listen and provided very poor customer service.     

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now