rootdev
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra blocking websites

Why are you blocking liveleak.com? If this is your PC brigade crusade why haven't you blocked facebook for streaming the video from beginning to end? Your knee jerk reaction does nothing to anyone motivated. See: The Streisand effect.

Is this a government blocking initiative or your own??

Btw: Solved by changing DNS Smiley Wink

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Hedlie_Lamarr
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Telstra blocking websites

You might want to tone down the outrage, Telstra has to operate within the laws of Australia. It also can do as it pleases within those boundry's.
You have solved your problem by changing your DNS, that's good, I suppose. The irony of your knee-jerk reaction to the blocking of this site is somewhat amusing.
Luke45

I thought it was a law too, I was corrected. Some ISPs, but not all, have voluntarily taken this action. LiveLeak.com is not on the ACMA blacklist, has nothing to do with the usual vague accusations of illegality, an ever-broadening and inclusive term. This was about footage of the Christchurch shooting, ditto 8ch.net and others.

This is quite concerning, if you please take a moment to really think about it. LiveLeak shows a lot of news footage that is censored from (our mostly globalist, leftist) mainstream media. Think of the average internet user. What kind of percentage in Australia do you think even know what a DNS is?

Hedlie_Lamarr

Hello,
part of my response was "It also can do as it pleases within those boundry's[sic]" I know, I know spelling error, but the point remains, Telstra can do as it pleases within the law.
Whether you, or I agree, or not Telstra can do what it wants, as long as it does not break the law. There is no free speech in our constitution, so to argue about censorship is in vain.
Oh well.
Luke45

Hi,
I'd argue that a robust case against the stance that Telstra is able to do what they want, within the laws of Australia could be formulated. I do respect your argument, and point of view, and agree partially. However, it would be easy to argue that this censorship affects many people, is not mandated by law, and is not circumventable for the average user. It therefore restricts the internet access of many. I don't see why the ACCC would not have jurisdiction over this restriction of service.

I agree that it's a real shame we have no guarantee of free speech in our constitution, but countries that do, like the USA, have seen theirs progressively eroded anyhow, using the misused, ill-defined, and fluid, "hate speech" term, so it's value is probably not as high as we may assume.

Hedlie_Lamarr

Telstra has made a business decision, probably in conjunction with legal advice, I suggest you talk to business lawyers about the chances of taking Telstra to the ACCC if you choose to go that route.

I'm not going to break the blood pressure barrier on the road to nowhere over this and I suggest others don't either. Register your protest by all means, but I think in the end only a boycott would change Telstra's methods. That's up to you.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now