Sherlock17
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra request real or fraudulent payments

Answered
Heard from”Telstra” yesterday wanting to switch our internet off for 24hrsdue to “cyber access issues”. No verification from Telstra via email etc. operators couldn’t put me onto an Australian operator to verify if authenticate request. They did want us to turn on our laptop, which we didn’t do. Is this real or a scam? If a possible scam Telstra may need to alert their users that a group is compromising cyber safety.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra request real or fraudulent payments

Its a well known scam. Telstra generally will not call you out of the blue unless you have made contact such as reporting a fault or ordering a new service. If someone does call, and you are unsure ask for a reference number for the call then hang up and call Telstra.

As Telstra contact centers are based around the world, its not possible to transfer your call to someone based on shore unless that team is soley based onshore.
I personally use NBN FTTP 100/40 on the Smart Modem Gen 2 with Smart Home and the Telstra TV 2
On the go and at home my Mobile connects to Telstras 4G network.

I am a Telstra Employee working for Telstra Platinum in Consumer, Small Business & Smart Home

I'm not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

For official support, start a secure chat here or you can raise a complaint here.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Its a well known scam. Telstra generally will not call you out of the blue unless you have made contact such as reporting a fault or ordering a new service. If someone does call, and you are unsure ask for a reference number for the call then hang up and call Telstra.

As Telstra contact centers are based around the world, its not possible to transfer your call to someone based on shore unless that team is soley based onshore.
I personally use NBN FTTP 100/40 on the Smart Modem Gen 2 with Smart Home and the Telstra TV 2
On the go and at home my Mobile connects to Telstras 4G network.

I am a Telstra Employee working for Telstra Platinum in Consumer, Small Business & Smart Home

I'm not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.

For official support, start a secure chat here or you can raise a complaint here.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

This scam has been highlighted periodically by Telstra and the media for at least the past 5 years. It is the most well known scam in Australia. I don't think much more can be done to make people aware of it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more