Highlighted
andy36
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra's bad customer service

I recently switch to Telstra from TPG with the Home Entertainment Standard Plus + 60mbps Speed boost. I was happy for the past 15 days because am getting 30mbps download and 8mbps upload. After that 15 days my speed started to slowdown called tech support the I was told that the modem was faulty. They send me a modem but it was the wrong one I have waited almost 2 weeks before I received the right modem. I installed the new modem and did speed test and am only getting 18mbps download and 4mbps upload. I called Telstra support I was told that I need to downgrade my plan because my line is not capable with the plan that I signed for. They can't send a technician to check my line because it's working fine. Why did I get 30+mbps before? are they capping it after 15 days?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Telstra's bad customer service

Do you know the maximum speed your line is capable. You can find this information in the GUI of the Gateway. Use a Web browser and log in to the gateway. Below is were to find this information in Telstra Gateways.

TG587 TG797. TG799 and TG800
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Frontier (DJN2130) or Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230)
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband >DSL stats

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

For example in the image below the sync speed is 28/6.39 but the maximum speed link is capable off is 37.2/11.96

frontier_DSL_Info.jpg

andy36

DSL speed.JPG

Sorry for late reply. Just noticed your post. The maximum speed of link is only 21/4.3. If Telstra was capping your speed the maximum link speed would be greater than the actual link speed. There could be a faulty termination causing the low speed. I would contact Telstra NBN support and request they send a Technician to check out your line.
If you have any extension phone sockets make sure that there are no devices plugged into these sockets.

andy36

Telstra Letter.JPG

andy36

Thanks

In the document Telstra has indicated that your were getting 32.7 Mbps down and 8.8 Mbps up. Now your maximum link speed is only 20.94 Mbps down and 4.35 Mbps up so something has happened to your line to cause the reduced speed. Even on the the Standard Evening Speed Tier your actual link speed should be 28/6.4 if the line was not faulty.

andy36

When I called Telstra they told me that there's nothing wrong with my line and they don't want to send a technician to check what's wrong. They said as per their test all is working good. And if they send a tech I will be charge. Hoping this problem would be fixed because am experiencing a bit lag when I am playing online game, I never had any lag problem on the 1st two weeks since I was connected to Telstra.

Did they explain why your link initially was capable of 32.7 Mbps and is now only capable of 20.9 Mbps. I would lodge a complaint either by telephoning support 132200 and saying you wish to lodge a complaint or using online form https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

andy36

No the billing section does not want to talk to me. They were trying to convince me that's all I can get or downgrade.
andy36

DSL Speed2.JPG

andy36

Finally got the answer from Telstra, they said the reason why my speed went down because of co-existence. There are still a lot of people in our area on ADSL so we need to wait for them to switch on NBN before I/We can get over 30mbps download.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more