Highlighted
MeetThunder
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra's new company "Belong" , AdsL 2+ is slow and static on phone line.

Answered
Goodaye folks,

I recently joined telstra's new network called belong on their $80/mnth home bundle (Adsl 2+) 250gb with home line rental.
It's been a week now and the internet speed is slow. I tested it and I'm getting less than 1mbps download. If I'm correct, Adsl 2+ should have a minimum speed of 3mbps and up to 20mbps? This is my results http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/871282942 also my gateway is giving me this result

Uptime: 0 days, 1:18:43
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 586 / 1,056
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 9.33 / 25.08

IPoEDSL
Link Status: Contacting DHCPv4 server...
IPv6 connected
Type: IPoE
Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:00
IPv6 Address:
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/B]: 21.60 / 0

IPoEWAN
Link Status: Disconnected
Type: IPoE
Last Error Message: IPv4 disabled on this interface
IPv6 disabled on this interface

Test Results
DSL
ATM
Ethernet
PPP
IPv4
IPv6
No IPv6 address configured for this Internet service.
Internet
Connectivity to IPv4 Gateway (xxxxxxx
Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (xxxxxxx
Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (xxxxxxx
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra's new company "Belong" , AdsL 2+ is slow and static on phone line.

Hey @CV1 

While we are not able to support Belong here, if you head to https://help.belong.com.au/ they should be able to help out Smiley Happy 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
21 REPLIES 21
Level 22: Superhuman

Gday MeetThunder and welcome to crowd support.
First point, the theoretical max speed of ADSL 2 is 24 Mob, but it depends on a number of factors, including attenuation, mostly due to distance to the exchange. There are also limitations due to how many others are sharing the bandwidth.

Also your modem will connect at the fasted possible reliable speed, which could be due to conhestion

However, looking at your stats, it MAY he that your lime is only coded as ADSL.

Do you have a way of estimating your distance to the exchange, or does your modem give stats on attenuation and line noise?

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Level 23: Superhero

I'd be getting onto them, as they ONLY offer ADSL2+, or NBN.

https://www.belong.com.au/adsl

0701836001400224804.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
wilrc22
Level 1: Cadet

I have the Belong Internet from Telstra and it is horrendous, the line speed is so slow... do I live next to the exchange? I live in Melbourne CBD about 50m from Exhibition Exchange and the building is connected with Fibre to the Basement, I would certainly not recommend, whenever I call for help they don't care and fob me off the only advice I get is to reset my modem which makes no difference, so no, Belong is not a good option in Melbourne CBD at least.

Aidtry

Hi MeetThunder,

I'm also having issue with belong, I'm only getting less than 2mbps. Here's my results http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3933494554 To make things interesting, I'm living in a shared house with my mate who has naked ADSL1.

My mate and I have 2 seperate lines and he is getting 4-5mbps from his naked ADSL1 with iinet lol.

I've explained this to the support team and they stated that it all depends the distance between you and the exchange.. I call BS!

My mate and I are sharing the same exchange, How do I know that?.. the technician who installed my line said so. 

So technically, I'm only getting ADSL1 or even less..

Is this what you call a false advertisement? If so, who do I report it to?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Aidtry,

I understand that this is frustrating but to follow this up you do need to speak with the Belong team directly. They will be able to investigate what is going on further for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Aidtry

Hi ashley,

I already have and the first thing they said  was (it all depends the distance of your house to the exchange) right.. 
anyway, no worries.. im switching soon anyway.

cheers.

wildnrg

I have just connect up to Belong at my house.  I'm got ADSL sync speed of about 1mbps uplink / 18 mbps downlink, which is reasonably good.  I previously had ADSL with iiNET at the same location got got similar sync speeds.

However, speedtest is shows I'm only getting 0.9 mbps (mega bits not mega bytes!)  which is terrible, I was downlowning a file and getting 120KBps (kilo bytes per second), compared to my office which is 4 download the road, on a Telstra RIM with similar link sync speed of 1mbps/18mbs I get easily over 1MBps (mega bytes per second), making my Belong service 10 times slower!

Yes I acknowledge that ADSL speeds depend on how far away from the exchange you are, and getting a 18 mbps download would indicate a very good download speed, whic from my experience should mean at least 1MBps downloads, not 0.8

Karunamitra

Belong is a joke. "Only a phone call away" is the slogan. I can't get through on the phone and no reply to emails, complaints or TIO complaint

CV1

Over all my years of Internet, telephone, mobile phone and any communications networks, Belong is by far the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. I was with Telstra for years and never had a problem. With Belong it is nothing but lies, outside blame (in particular NBN Co.) and generic catch phrases is how they ensure that frustration and annoyance is brought to their customers. I signed up with them on 21/12 and still to this date am getting nothing but excuses & condescension from all but one staff member. NBN Co. have confirmed they completed their job but yet still nothing from Belong!!! Numerous phone calls, on hold for between 30 to 45 mins on most occasions & complainting only adds to your delays. And don't bother speaking with supervisors as they are worse!!! I emplore you please DO NOT sign up with Belong. I wish I hadn't!!!
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hey @CV1 

While we are not able to support Belong here, if you head to https://help.belong.com.au/ they should be able to help out Smiley Happy 

LOGANSCHOICE

Joined belong 2months ago wish i didnt speed sonly high as 6.27mbps which friggn **bleep** . Was wityh iprimus be4 that fro 2 years speeds were amazingly 3 times as fast .

so guess im leavn belong as they dont cut the mustard terrible internet speeds dont bother going with this crap provider

Hobbit02

I joined Belong one month ago I have had internet for 6 days of that month. It is the worst ADSL service ever after a number of calls reporting the same problem they are coming out on Thursday to check internally. TELSTRA techs. Should I take time off work? Will they show up? 

Isaak

I can only backup everyones complaints here. Terrible service, in fact they have sold me an unusable service. 

Do not sign up with Belong. They are horrendous and have zero ethics or morals as they will want to charge you $140 for canceling... becuase you cna't do anything with the 0.01Mb downspeed you get. 

I guess it's Telstra's way of producing a company that can act like this. Pretty sad indictment on both groups. 

Screenshot_20160710-173904.png

Lex3

I am also a Belong customer. They are very frustrating to deal with. My connection is also hopelessly slow. Have tried calling them, but you can never get through to "Support" - all you get is the message, we are here for you 24/7 - theyre not!Wont be renewing when the contract runs out - back to iinet.

gjacobs

Can anyone get through to Belong on 1300 235 664??? I've tried on 10/10/16 and 11/10/16. I wait for at least 30mins!

No one answers the phone and no one answers emails either.

Very disappointed and dissatisifed with their service and my account hasn't even been ACTIVATED yet!!!

Help!

EddieTwoFingers

Glad I found this thread. I'm currently with Telstra ADSL2+ paying $93 a month for an absolutely shocking internet speed, and really wanting to find something cheaper. Guess I'll be crossing belong of the list now.

DWS53

Belong offers no actual help to its users.  The "reps" simply tell you to reset your modem, or that they'll look into it but never get back to you.  The speed issue is only part of this disasterous provider, they also have no consistency on billing.

You instantly know you've got a problem with a provider when they are obviously farming out the calls overseas, as happens with Belong.

Cloud18

I'm actually a bit on the fence when it comes to belong, I have been in a no lock in contract with them on nbn for three months and the speeds and connectivity have been great with no faulter, but then randomly one day, bam nothing, won't even pick up the DSL signal from the wall to the modem, it's like I don't even have a service anymore, what's the first thing they say, turn it off and on again, oh jeepers Mr I didn't think of that thanks, but seriously now Im having to wait for a technician to come out which I have to take a days leave for, mind you when they first came out to set it up, it was a day earlier then they were supposed to which was good except I wasn't there obviously, if it dosnt get resolved shortly I'll be finding another provider
Stevieh

I have just signed up to them and rang them to get some info the person was called Mia I haver never. Ever been spoken to in such a disgusting manner she put me on hold to punish me three times all I wanted to do was ask a simple question which was how do I contact you other than telephone
Her attitude was really bad and eventually she hung up..... dear me it was shocking
I'm cancelling my order
Stevieh

What's my cancellation period
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

You would have to use Belongs support channels to find that out @Stevieh

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more