CrowdSupport®
Watcher7
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra smart modem gen 2 fault

Answered
I switched to Telstra broadband 3 weeks ago and receive a Telstra smart modem gen 2. The first week after it was set up the connection dropped out a couple of times and I had to restart the modem to regain connection - however I can’t be sure how often it did drop out as I only used it with my phone or my iPad - both of which had sims to back up to when wifi dropped off. About a week ago I bought a smart TV and since then my broadband has been largely unusable. I have lost count of the times I have had to restart the modem. Even after restarting it loses connection after less than 10 minutes. I have tried logging in to the modem settings but there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do - the settings state that the connection is working fine. All the lights are green on the modem but i still get an orange message saying “no internet connection” on my phone and iPad when I try to access the wifi and no connection at all through my smart TV and my google home mini. Can someone help me please.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watcher7
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra smart modem gen 2 fault

An update on this. I have since had a tech visit after which it became apparent that the fault was with my modem. I've now been sent a new modem and I am back online. All devices connecting perfectly - including my google mini home. Thanks all for your help.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
59 REPLIES 59
Level 24: Supreme Being

A lot off people are having trouble with the Gen 2 modem maintaining a WiFi connection. Try turning of both Google Home mini, smart TV and reboot modem. If phones stay connected for over ten minutes turn on the Google home mini and then after another 10 minutes turn the smart TV on and see if either one cause the phones to drop out.

The smart TV if it supports miracast or chrome cast creates its own wifi network on the same channel as the modem. This shouldn’t but could be causing the wifi devices to drop out.

Watcher7

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if this helps you diagnose but I’ve turned off google home and smart tv and rebooted modem. The wifi is back and phone able to connect but iPad cannot connect. Turned on google mini after 10 mins and google mini unable to connect - although, unlike before, the phone remains connected. I should mention I had a Chromecast as well which I turned off and disconnected yesterday after reading one of the comments on this forum that said chromecast might be at fault.
Watcher7

Now turned on smart tv as well - and although my phone remains connected to wifi - I cannot connect smart tv or Telstra tv.

Have you tried rebooting the modem and leaving Smart TV and Chromcast disconnected and seeing if other devices remain connected or can connect.

Watcher7

Yes - have tried that and phone can connect when smart tv and chromecast is disconnected
Watcher7

Is there a setting I need to be on with this modem. I have tried different options - disabled band steering, disabled 5ghz, change channel from auto to 6 and then to 12. Nothing seems to work. In fact it seems to be getting worse. I used to be able to connect to tv for a few minutes immediately after restarting the modem. Now even if I restart the modem I only get a connection on my phone and that too only for a few minutes. No other devices can connect at all - including iPad, google home mini and smart TV.

The only real solution is a modem firmware update but firmware updates take time to develop. The reason for drop outs has to be determined then a solution developed and the update has to be tested before it is released.

In the mean time you could you could try setting up a static  IP address and custom DNS on your device and turning off LAN IPv6 (Advanced > Local Network as per this post

Ip address 192.168.0.xx were xx is a number between 2 and 254 each must have a different address.

Network mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway address 192.168.0.1

DNS 1 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

Google your device to find out how to set up a static IP address. Unfortunately this want work for google chromcast as I don,t think they have this feature.

Ator
Level 2: Rookie

I believe these Arcadyan Smart modem V2 units have bad firmware.

Ever since I got NBN in December and had this Smart modem V2 connected I had rebooted it 16 times in 4 days to restore service. Symptoms included: delays in web browsing and some pages timeout, cant bring up routers web interface when router fails, cant bring up Telstra speed test site and when it does come up its the Perth server which doesn't work. Intermittent connection to game servers.

I connected my old router  which I used on cable broadband and worked flawlessly for the next week.

I got Telstra to send me another modem and the placement V2 and it had exactly the same faults as the first.

I then got them to sent out the original smart modem V1 and this unit has been working well  so far. 

Watcher7

I have now disconnected my google mini home, thinking that was causing the issue. I have also set static IP addresses for my TV, phone and iPad. I thought the issue was resolved when the connection stayed on for half a day. However, this morning the connection has again dropped off on my phone and iPad - with both saying: No Internet Connection against my wifi network. This is despite restarting the modem twice today. Strangely my TV remains connected. I'm now concerned that I might be exceeding my mobile plan limit as my phone, iPad and laptop are all unable to connect to my broadband. This is especially frustrating since my broadband is unlimited. I cannot take advantage of the unlimited data and instead end up using my limited mobile data. If this impacts my next bill I will be lodging a complaint.
Watcher7

I want to specify this is not directed at cf4 - merely replying to maintain continuity. Thanks for trying to help, cf4.
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Yes, I think if I was you guys I would get another modem and use that for the time being until you see/hear that new firmware has been released. There are a few Telstra Frontier modems going for a good price on eBay atm (Remembering you need a Telstra modem if you want to use the phone on the NBN).

It's always a good idea to have a backup modem for testing anyway.

Trouble is, we don't know when an update/fix for the current problems are going to be released?
Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
Level 22: Superhuman

Out of curiosity have you factory reset the Netgear cable adapter?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Watcher7

I have done a factory reset of the modem - is that what you mean?

The cable adapter is the small netgear cable modem that connects to the coaxial cable connection on the wall. Your Telstra modem should connect to the netgear cable adapter.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Watcher7
Accepted Solution

An update on this. I have since had a tech visit after which it became apparent that the fault was with my modem. I've now been sent a new modem and I am back online. All devices connecting perfectly - including my google mini home. Thanks all for your help.

View solution in original post

2020digging

I just today plugged in the Gen 2 modem Telstra sent me to replace my old modem which was working OK apart from consistent and untimely dropouts together with the wall power socket blowing up. Seriously dangerous situation.
In any case, plugged in the Gen2 - all seemed to working fine for 5 minutes then nothing. Trouble shot a number of times, also with a Telstra phone help adviser and the modem was all over the shop. All lights GREEN yet at some times was getting snails pace bit download other times, great download and then most of the time nothing. It's a crock of **bleep**e. Have read the forums and it seems that the Gen 2 is riddled with issues. Reconnected my old modem and so far no issues yet there will be the inevitable dropout. It's unbelievable that this can occur at such regular intervals with Telstra. Unbelievable. Gen 2? yeah my arse!

Ator

Sorry to hear your having problems but it seems  be a common problem.

I had same issues on gen2 with all lights green and no access.

Do your Gen2 issues occur on a wired Ethernet connections and wireless as well ?

Are you able to  access the routers web  interface on http://192.168.0.1 when the loss of internet access occurs?

Are you able access https://speedtest.telstra.com ?

koolDawg
Level 1: Cadet

I had the same problem with Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. I got my modem about 10 days ago. I have had nothing but problems. I have had intermittent problems with my older Telstra modem, a Thomson TG782T. I have had the older modem for more than 10 years. With the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2, the internet would work on devices for about 3-4 minutes and then it is 'lights out'. Modem front panel light is green showing that it is connected and everything is fine. After a frustrating experience (switching modem on and off, resetting), I have gone back to the older Thomson modem today. So far, no dropouts. It might be Telstra got a bad batch of modems but it certainly has wasted my time. Being tech savvy, I hate going through the laborious troubleshooting process with Telstra tech, not to mention the long wait before you speak to someone.
koolDawg

Don't waste your time rebooting or resetting if the problem is persistent. In addition to Wifi, Wired internet connections displayed the same dropouts with the Gen 2 modems. I could not even connect to the modem from my wired laptop using the modem ip address (192,168.0.1). Everything shows that my computer is connected.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

So that we can provide feedback regarding these devices to the relevant team, it would be helpful if you included the following details if you are experiencing this issue:

1. There are two different modem models that are referred to as Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 and they also have different firmware, so please advise if you have the LH1000 or the DJA0231

2. The firmware version that your modem currently has. You can locate the firmware version by accessing the modem page at http://192.168.0.1. The firmware version should appear on the first page by the Gateway Information. Customers with the LH1000, the password to log into the modem is: Telstra

3. Have you tried disabling Band-steering (located under WiFi- in the top menu) and the IPv6 State (you will find this option under Advanced, then Local Network) 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ator

FYI

In my case, both gen 2 modems I received are:

Arcadyan 

LH1000
Boot version: 1.0.38-116.118
Firmware: 0.05.04r
Hardware: 01

It made no difference switching off band steering on WiFi .

In my case internet connectivity failed whether you where on Ethernet or wifi.

Disabling IPV6 also had no effect. Within 10 minutes of booting up this modem

again I lost internet connectivity.

Reconnected my gen 1 Technicolor DJA0230TLS modem and its been working flawlessly.

Trish18

Hi Ator,

I'm sad and glad that I am not the only one with this issue.  I am on my second modem now and after NBN tests reporting no fault I'm now waiting for someone to call me (after 6pm tonight. what a surprise for them that while I'm at work that I cant access the modem) to fault find some more.

The exact same issue, every 10- 30 minutes I have to reset the router to get access to web pages and the router menu.  I've just switched to Telstra in December and have had the worst time porting telephone numbers, this modem issue just puts a cherry on top.

Trish18

Shellock,

I have the LH1000 (now the second one)with the exact same issues , you will see my response to Ator. PM me if you want my current ticket number for this fault.
Ator

Well they will try and fault find as part of their procedure every time you call.

For me after the second call and second  modem, I insisted they send out yet another modem.

It was purely by chance that this time they sent me the older model "Telstra Smart Modem DJA0230TLS Technicolor" and it worked. Looks like this

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/telstra-gateways-frontier

In my case I had my older Telstra Gateway Max Cable Modem (Netgear Model) and I configured it to WAN mode and plugged it up to NBN box and worked as well, while I waited for new modems to be posted out. Off course the home phone wouldn't work as 

they weren't capable..

If you have an older modem with a WAN port on back you may be able to do the same. 

pkloops

I agree, the Arcadyan Gen 2 firmware v0.05.04r has issues !
I am connected via copper to a FTTN.
I have observed that devices connected to router using UPNP will stop functioning in time.
Trying Power Off/On the Router doesn't fix issue, but if you reload router factory defaults or your router (pre)saved configuration file it does. [ If you have customised router settings, be SURE to Save the modem configuration file to your PC so you can re-load it if necessary !!! ]
When my Arcadyan Gen2 first arrived in late December 2018, it came pre-loaded with Firmware v 0.04.14r, then there was an overnight automatic upgrade to v 0.05.04r. I quickly learned that the new firmware was NOT at ALL compatible with the old versions configuration file ! ( Devices would connect to router, but then claim "No Internet Connection" ! The only way to recover a working network internet connection was load factory defaults into the Modem from admin login and then re-write all customisation's.
I find it interesting that when Telstra roll out a Network wide NBN modem F/W change, that they could miss this configuration file compatibility issue ! ( in other words, the F/W upgrade script has bugs ! )

I would not be surprised if Telstra re!over the backup function in a future upgrade. Telstra removed the backup function on the F@st5355 because it was causing problems.
Have you tried turning UPNP of in the modem and manually port forwarding required ports to see if that fixed the problem of devices losing connection.
pkloops

Yep, the manual port forward section is broken.
2020digging

I have been working with a Telstra consultant and I am trying something out which may be beneficial for others having issues with their modems and dropouts.
TURN TELSTRA AIR (TA) OFF!
It could be that TA is actually fighting for space inside my LAN and therefore will knock the signal out from my NBN box to the router.
I will know for certain if this is the case when I reattach the Gen2 modem which after the first initial connection died in the arse. And it may explain the consistent dropouts we have been experiencing with our Telstra Gateway modem.
Will post soon!
pkloops

Hi,
Telstra Air has always been turned off on my modem, so isn't a problem causer...

Thanks
Brendan75
Level 5: Eagle Eye

There are two companies making the "Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2". The modems made by Technicolor, the DJA0231 model, is definitely much more solidly built and more reliable. They look almost identical on the outside, but the modem manufactured by Arcadyan has very poor build quality, even the SIM cover doesnt sit in the unit nicely. The Firmware is very poor on the Arcadyan unit also and lacks features the Technicolor unit has.
Unfortunately you dont get a choice which one is sent out. I had an Arcadyan built model, and this was the biggest pos I have ever had, and I am someone that has always stuck with the Telstra issued modems right back from when Technicolor were still called Thompson.
The Technicolor "Smart Modem Gen 2" is a brilliant device by comparison. Solidly built, buttery smooth firmware, nice feature set for an ISP issued modem and good WiFi strength.
I don't know why Telstra didn't stick with Technicolor alone. Going with two manufacturers has just caused headaches.
Ianeco

I one sense I am glad to see so many people having trouble with the Gen2 modem. I thought it was just me.
My home wifi network consists of 2 mobile phones, 2 laptops, a smart TV and telstra TV and a desktop computer a laser printer and an inkjet colour printer/scanner. I am on Telstra NBN. 
Right from the first day I discovered I could not connect my telstra mobile to the wifi if the desktop was also connected. Sometimes the mobile would connect for a few minutes, sometimes for a couple of days and then for no apparent reason it would keep trying to connect to telstra air but fail. It was if the desktop and phone were competing for the same wifi channel.

This might go on for days, then just as suddenly all would connect happily. Our other phone, an iPhone on Vodafone never has any problems and the telstra  TV is connected by an ethernet cable anyway.
Knock wood, everything has worked well for a couple of days now, but I am expecting it to have another bad hair day again any time now. 
Clearly the Gen2 modem has a bug of somesort. It would be nice if Telstra had a fix for it.

Ianeco

I had similar, only it is my phone and desktop computer that will not connect at the same time.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi laneco

Have you tried turning off the band steering in the Wireless settings as this may resolve your WiFi problem.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

kalidah

Hmm that doesn't bode well!

We're just looking at switching to the NBN HFC from Telstra ADSL2+ and went through similar issues a few years back when we upgraded our plan, we had a Technicolor TG799vac and to be honest was quite happy with it once I managed to get it up and running and find a manual that let me change the settings Smiley Happy

Fast forward ~3 months and I was having issues connecting some devices via the WiFi so rebooted the modem which usually sorted the issue only to lose the DSL feed even though I had WiFi! Tried multiple things like rebooting and changing settings and no good, then reset all to default which got back the DSL but no WiFi at all Smiley Sad

Did this several times before it decided I wasn't going to have either despite the modem and my WiFi devices saying they were connected! Also noted that the Eco light was off despite there being power to the modem!

Anyway I tried the online fault find which was pretty useless apart from saying I had an issue with line quality so finally rang Telstra and got some Asian sounding tech, said I thought there was an issue with the modem, he says unlikely and had me try checking my phone line/splitters etc which I'd already done to no avail! I also have had issues with water in the pit on the corner of the street!

He then escalated the call to an Aussie sounding tech who had me go through everything again despite being told I'd already done it and believing it to be the modem! By this time I'd also lost the WAN light and all their tests weren't achieving anything yet they were still talking about sending a tech out to check the pit/lines while he had me reboot the modem, this had always taken ~10 mins to get internet connection since getting the modem and it wasn't until I queried why it should take so long that he started agreeing that it may be the modem!

So glad I still had my old TG587n in a box as a backup Smiley Happy

Anyway he finally decided to replace the modem which I was happy with until it turned up on the doorstep and I opened the box to find a TG797n with a cryptic note saying due to supply issues with the TG587 they were "upgrading" me to a TG797n!

So after a bit of research about the specs on the different modems (not easy with Telstra modems) and noticing there appeared to be others having issues with the TG799 I made ANOTHER call to Telstra to complain about the old/substandard modem they'd sent and asking why they hadn't sent a 799 as I had previously?

Apparently due to some "technical issues" with the 799 they had been discontinued! I advised him I wasn't happy given I had just gotten all my devices set up on various bands and working well and my Plex server streaming movies well from my computer and was now getting a 2 year old spec modem with only 2.4Ghz band and with other features missing! Smiley Sad

After some to-ing and fro-ing he finally agreed to send me a new TG800vac Gateway Max 2 modem which apart from some minor issues with restarting at odd times and the occasional dropout has been fine since a firmware update Smiley Happy

Just starting to worry I'll have to go through it all again when we switch to NBN!

kali

why people have so many problems with the gen 2 modem since I got it and connected to NBN I have never have any problem. I have a dedicated server and I needed to do a few teaks to make it work but all was too easy. I think that most people having problems are not computer savvy that's why they post things that they haven't research well. 

Which version of the Gen 2 modem do you have. It is the Arcadyan version LH1000 with firmware version 0.05.04r tat most people have problems with. The Technicolor version DJA0231 seems to work OK apart from a few units having faulty 2.4GHz WiFi.

kali

you send a message that said there are two types of the gen 2 I have both and they work fine I don't know where you got this firm ware update from bit I think people don't know how to set up their systems. I had problems with the new modem at first because I wanted to do everything in a harry but with so many devices I needed to be patient. my smart TV took 10 minutes to connect to the modem and Telstra TV would not show the icons but I worked it out that the Mac address needed extra information for the Telstra TV to work. I have all my devices working with no problem with both modem I tried. Please be more careful in future because other members take your advice and can be wrong and this can lead to frustractions.

@kali wrote:
I don't know where you got this firm ware update from bit I think people don't know how to set up their systems.

I got the information about the Arcadyan modem being faulty from the hundreds of post both on Whirlpool and this forum of people having trouble with the Arcadyan modem. Most if not all the problems disappear with a firmware update to .06.07r or when the modem is replaced by another modem.

@kali wrote:
 I had problems with the new modem at first because I wanted to do everything in a harry but with so many devices I needed to be patient. my smart TV took 10 minutes to connect to the modem and Telstra TV would not show the icons but I worked it out that the Mac address needed extra information for the Telstra TV to work.

People should not need to be IT literate to connect devices to there ISP modems. It should be plug and play either plugging the device into a LAN port on the modem or selecting the correct SSID and entering the correct WiFi password for the Device to connect. They should not have to worry about entering MAC addresses.

kali

If people are used to using the Frontier modem they should stick with that. I have tested the frontier modem and it works very well. So why they want to upgrade if they don't know how to use the new mode?? I wouldn't just keep the modem you know how to use and they will never have problems this is so pointless to keep on writing about solutions to the problem of the Gen 2 when people need to know to set it up if they don't don't use it is that simple so we don't waste so much time trying to help them trying to resolve problems that don't really exist. The gen 2 is a perfect working modem if a person knows how to set it up properly if not again I say stay with the modem you know as long as is NBN ready.
DJ19

I have the same issue with Gen 2 modem. They sent one on post then platinum technician came and tried to install it, it didn't work. Then he got another Gen 2 modem and installed it. Even within a week the connection drops on the 2nd one too. I wonder Teltra does any testing on these new hardware before rolling out to clients? Poor wulity productd from Telstra
DJ19

Telstra smart modem gen 2 modem

I have the same issue with Gen 2 modem. They sent one on post then platinum technician came and tried to install it, it didn't work. Then he got another Gen 2 modem and installed it. Even within a week the connection drops on the 2nd one too. I wonder Teltra does any testing on these new hardware before rolling out to clients? Poor wulity productd from Telstra
DJ19

Gen 2 Modem

khloe2012
Level 4: Private Eye

I am having trouble with chromecasting from laptop -windows 7 to tv...used to be able to but have since gone Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2. Is this compatible with Chromecast? I have spent a few hours trying to figure this out, and I'm beat :-/

Is your chrome cast connected to your WiFi? You could try disabling band steering on your modem.

khloe2012
Level 4: Private Eye

I have tried that :-/

Do you get any specific error messages

Garry49

Hi Watcher7,
I have been on NBN for a while (18 mths or more) and the first modem was a dud. I am now experiencing the same problem as you, with inability to bring up pages and so forth, but this has only been for a few days. I am not into the techo side of this as I am a tad Old and think Carrier Pigeons are the go.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Garry49,

I'm sorry to read that you're having the same problem. May I please ask if any of the suggestions made in this thread have been of assistance? And have you spoken with tech support? If so, what did they advise?

Garry49

Hi CodaR'
I have found that if I shut down the modem and the wifi, give it a minute or two and start up again, it seems to fix the problem for a while and then the rot sets in again. This was the last 3-4 days, tonight we will see if the problem has gone away or not.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now