CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Alcey88
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra support useless

Answered

So I just changed over from Internode FTTN with a sync speed of 26.3/6.8mbps to Telstra that gave me 18.2/5.4mbps.

Called Telstra NBN tech support who gave me an Indian supposedly from Adelaide that said "Oh ok so you aren't getting the speed you want, what I can do is drop you from the 50/20 plan to the 25/5 plan then you will get the 26mbps you should have" And then he transferred me to billing and fobbed me off to them.

So his answer to fixing my problem which is almost certainly that they have changed the pair that I am connected to at the pillar with a worse one that is to drop my speed tier...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Alcey881
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra support useless

NBN technician attended my premises about half an hour ago did a test, left to check the pillar. The pair i was connected to was faulty, changed me to a different pair that works and now i'm connected at 27.8/6.4mbps.
He said he was the guy who "connected" me when i changed to Telstra from Internode and he told me that he absolutely did change the pair I was hooked up to with Internode to a Telstra pair at the pillar but since he got a sync at the time that passed the 12/1mbps minimum speed with co-existence active then it was counted as being fine.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 22: Superhuman

Please post your modem stats so we can have a look and see whats going on:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway or Smart Modem
(DJN2130 & DJA0230 ):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Alcey88

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
57 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
 5.76 Mbps  18.19 Mbps
Line Rate
 5.76 Mbps  18.15 Mbps
Data Transferred
 0.04 MBytes  0 MBytes
Output Power
 6.3 dBm  14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
 13.9, 57.9, 75.4 dB  26.6, 71.5,N/A dB
Noise Margin
 6 dB  5.8 dB
Alcey88

Ok so when I say speed I am not talking about speedtest results I am talking about max line sync rate from the modem. So last week I could get 7-8Mbps more line speed with Internode than I can with Telstra, and instead of getting someone to come and fix the crappy pair that I am on they say "Ok we're just going to drop you to from 50/20 to 25/5" I respond "Well 18 is less than 25 anyway so there is still a problem" The Indian i'm talking to seems confused and is like "But it says here this is the answer to you're problem"

So TLDR Indian reading from script has no clue at all how to fix my issue and refuses to send a technician out to fix a crappy line.

Sync rate.jpgInternode sync rateScreenshot (11).pngTelstra sync rate

The NBN assurance team would need a to raise a speed fault to get that looked at
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Have you tried using the internode modem instead of Telstra modem. When you changed from Internode to Telstra the only change to that effected the link speed is the modem. You would still be using the same cable pair to the node.

Alcey88

I agree but they don't want to, instead they just seem confused ans transfer me to billing to downgrade my plan. Still on the phone with them going round in circles with billing understanding this isn't something they can fix who transfer me to technical who reading from a script say "Oh so you can't get the speed you pay for let me transfer you to billing who will downgrade you"

I'd reconmend trying what @cf4 has said. It could be a fault with the modem.

Alcey88

Just tried using the other modem and it is connecting at 16.7mbps down 4.4up. So it actually runs slower than the Tesltra smart modem.

After an hour and a half on the phone being passed from tech support to billing to tech support they finally gave me the answer of "We are changing you're speed tier to 25/5 but it's ok because we will do this at no cost" To which I replied "Thanks for giving me half the speed for no additional expense". Greeted with several seconds of silence so I followed up with, "You do realise that 18 is less than 25 and dropping my speed tier is in no way shape or form going to fix the issue, I still won't be capable of reaching the 25mbps and you will still need to send a tech out to fix the line or change my pair at the pillar."
Telstra rep responded " Uh ok, well my resources say that since your line isn't capable of doing 25 I have to downgrade your speed tier".
I then basically said "Fine go ahead when I still have the issue I'll just keep calling back until you escalate this to someone who understands the technology and doesn't just read from a scripted response."
Alcey881

Update: (Also for some reason they made me change my username even though i logged into same account)

Last Wednesday 9th May 2018 I went through an hour of troubleshooting before the guy on the other end finally decided I actually do have an issue and escalated it resulting in him booking an NBN technician to attend my premises today 15th May between 8am-12pm and that I have to be home for it.

I book the day off work and wait around, nobody turns up and no messages or anything to confirm I have an appointment today. Call Telstra get told that they never made the appointment and my ticket was closed on Sunday 13th May as being resolved. The other useless **bleep** on the phone says he's going to do some troubleshooting on my line and then hangs up on me...

Really starting to get pissed off with Telstra.

I'd recommend raising a complaint at this stage, you can raise one here here

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

As cf4 mentioned, previously, as you are on the NBN, there is no change in the cabling when you switch providers. I would suggest swapping the telephone cables and making sure that the modem is connected into the primary socket if you have more than one in your premises.

I will send you a private message shortly with a link that you can use to provide some more information securely regarding your service if those checks do not help to address this issue.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Alcey881
Accepted Solution

NBN technician attended my premises about half an hour ago did a test, left to check the pillar. The pair i was connected to was faulty, changed me to a different pair that works and now i'm connected at 27.8/6.4mbps.
He said he was the guy who "connected" me when i changed to Telstra from Internode and he told me that he absolutely did change the pair I was hooked up to with Internode to a Telstra pair at the pillar but since he got a sync at the time that passed the 12/1mbps minimum speed with co-existence active then it was counted as being fine.

View solution in original post

Alcey881

Screenshot (12).png

mazzda
Level 5: Eagle Eye

And how are feeling after this experience?

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That is very odd as the technician shouldn't have needed to do anything to change you over from Internode to Telstra in the first place. That is a software setting at NBN Co, not a physical connection change at the pillar.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Alcey881

Feeling like I wasted 4 hours going around in circles on the phone to Indians who don't understand how the technology works because they are only trained to read the scripted responses.
Feel like I wasted $300 on a day off work to have the Telstra/NBN technician not show up to the appointment they told me I had to be home for but never actually booked.

It wasn't until after that happened and I called to cancel my account (thankfully would have been with no exit fees because of their NBN guarantee) that they finally took me seriously and had a technician come and fix the problem the next day.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for sharing the resolution of this issue as it may help others in the community. If you haven't done so already, you can submit a complaint regarding your experience. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now