CrowdSupport®
YoutubeThrotled
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra throttling streaming and P2P downloads

Any form of P2P download or streaming service is heavily throttled. I can't stream 480p youtube at any time of day - ever.

P2P downloads are capped to almost exactly 2mb/s.  Yet at the exact same time I can run a speed test and get 12mb/s - 480p youtube only needs 0.5mb/s

My internet connect speed is fine but for certain kinds of traffic it gets throttled to the point where it's beyond useless.

As soon as I hide my traffic tpye with a VPN BOOM problem solved, however that has it's own issues and I simply shouldn't have to do it.

I've been dealing with this rubbish for 8 months of my 16 months with Telstra and am switching to TPG on Monday if it's not resolved by then.

I've been through your overseas call centre 5 or more times now for a total of probably 10+ hours. I'm simply not interested in going through another round of "now turn your modem off and on again, did that fix it?" when I've already stated that the connection itself is fine (on sites telstra doesn't throttle, like well know speed test sites).

Let me know if you're interested in fixing it or if I should just go back to TPG who provided me with flawless service at this address.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
32 REPLIES 32
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra throttling streaming and P2P downloads

Good afternoon,

You are actually speaking with a customer helping customer website.

If you want to speak with a Telstra staff member you can find all contact information here 

From answering many hundreds of questions here, I have never heard of throttling as you describe it in your case.

I am sorry I am unable to assist you further, as apart from Moderation and AFL/NRL matters, we are all customers like you.

Kind regards

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles "you" to be an expert at everything!!"
mareeinoz
Level 2: Rookie

I would have joined the conversation earlier baut as I am downloading a linux distro via bittorrent  it has only taken 30 minutes just to log in. Telstra has no doubt started throttling torrents. I can normally download at around 500kb unlesss I add a torrent into the mix, then dial-up would be faster.

The "customer service"  person who does not work for Telstra, would you have hailed from somewhere near India going by how you word your reply? with remedy

If Telstra does not want customers who download anything via bittorrent mention it in one of your Keeping In Touch newsletters, then we will know to look for somewhere else. Nobody wants to spend hours witing on the phone to be treated like an idiot with half arsed turn this off..did it fix it remedies.

It is only slow with bittorrents

Telstra makes it so

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Mareeinoz,

I can assure you we don't throttle any sites or connections. That being said, we also don't troubleshoot bittorrent or P2P downloads.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bob429

I feel Telstra are being 'economical with the truth' here. Like other users I can get adequate download speeds (no better than that and a disgrace in a modern economy). As soon as I connect by VPN to my employer network the connection goes to snail pace and patchy at that - it's completely unusable. Please don't tell me it's a company network speed issue, when I connect a second laptop at the same time using a 3G (not even HSDPA) connection I can work on company servers download documents and use Outlook with no issues. I am a very dissatisfied customer with this issue - this is economy impacting Telstra, you are hampering Australian workers.
darrellwood

I can assure you they do throttle.   I am have tried it 4 times in 10 mins. Every time I turn on my work vpn it goes from 9 mb to .5 mb. Cannot be coincidence.  Is this legal.  I think not. I will be calling ACCC tomorrow to log a complaint. 

Sad. 

@Bob429 wrote:
I feel Telstra are being 'economical with the truth' here. Like other users I can get adequate download speeds (no better than that and a disgrace in a modern economy). As soon as I connect by VPN to my employer network the connection goes to snail pace and patchy at that - it's completely unusable. Please don't tell me it's a company network speed issue, when I connect a second laptop at the same time using a 3G (not even HSDPA) connection I can work on company servers download documents and use Outlook with no issues. I am a very dissatisfied customer with this issue - this is economy impacting Telstra, you are hampering Australian workers.

Highlighted
darrellwood

Oddly they are not throttling phone 4g. I tried it a,so.  No impact.  Surprise surprise. That makes more money.  

qwigybo

Yup... no throttling here at all Smiley Mad

Capture.JPG

Tarun82

Spot on. I have used TPG/Optus/Telstra and can second your claim. As soon as you switch from TPG to Telstra you will start buffering media content ( from overseas servers). The only way i see is going back to TPG as Telstra and Optus would never agree that they do deep packet inspection and throttle you though as a matter of fact i know they do.

so TPG is the answer. Speedtest results will always be good with Optus and Telstra but streaming will buffer

@YoutubeThrotled wrote:

Any form of P2P download or streaming service is heavily throttled. I can't stream 480p youtube at any time of day - ever.

P2P downloads are capped to almost exactly 2mb/s.  Yet at the exact same time I can run a speed test and get 12mb/s - 480p youtube only needs 0.5mb/s

My internet connect speed is fine but for certain kinds of traffic it gets throttled to the point where it's beyond useless.

As soon as I hide my traffic tpye with a VPN BOOM problem solved, however that has it's own issues and I simply shouldn't have to do it.

I've been dealing with this rubbish for 8 months of my 16 months with Telstra and am switching to TPG on Monday if it's not resolved by then.

I've been through your overseas call centre 5 or more times now for a total of probably 10+ hours. I'm simply not interested in going through another round of "now turn your modem off and on again, did that fix it?" when I've already stated that the connection itself is fine (on sites telstra doesn't throttle, like well know speed test sites).

Let me know if you're interested in fixing it or if I should just go back to TPG who provided me with flawless service at this address.

MAK1

I totally agree. Telstra does throttle and I'm experiencing the same issue. Their customer support is very arrogant too 

TPZ

I am also experiencing this. I'm attempting to download open source files via torrent and i cannot attain any speed above 800kb without using a vpn. I understand throttling illegal downloads but there are millions of legal torrents.

Lodged a complaint will wait to see what happens.
Aaronmarkr

Has anybody had a response from their complaints lodged with telstra? I've recently had my exchange moved from 1.6km's away from my property to 3.9km's with no reason given yet.

On top of this I've had my torrents running at a maximum of 220kB/s in total - I ran them off my telstra 4G phone internet and achieved a total download speed of over 4mB/s.

I then run speed tests of speedtest.net and it reported my internet speed as 220kB/s or there abouts with numerous tests. To compare I then used the speed test linked on telstra's website from ookla and this was showing 1.2mB speeds.

Telstra are manipulating numerous things here and I somewhat have proof. I want to take this further as I believe they are manipulating their service and speeds.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Aaronmarkr, 

I do apologise that you are experiencing issues with your Telstra Internet Speeds, certainly not a great experience.

Could I please grab your postcode & suburb to further investigate this for you? Were you advised by a consultant that you have moved exchanges?

We do have a handy guide here How To Troubleshoot Speed Issues which may help improve your speeds and tidy up any issues that may be reducing the speeds inside your home.

- Jarred

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Aaronmarkr

Hi Jarred,

My postcode is 3076 and the property the internet goes to is in Epping. I wasn't told about the exchange moving but I know from previously looking it up it used to be that distance away and speaking to someone from technical support today they confirmed my exchange had been moved without me being notified. They cannot tell me a reason as to why it was moved or if it would be moved back without doing some investigating.

I've done the self help speed test and I'm fairly sure this is from telstras DPI that was implemented back around 2013? If I'm not mistaken. I'm an uhappy customer who wont sit back and let Telstra do the sort of things you are doing to people. If I get any inclination that you are doing things that could be seen as illegal or not right by your customers I will take every opportunity I can to expose said things.

Seperate to that, the pitiful speeds I'm getting from a 20mb ADSL service is a joke.

Regards,

Aaron 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Aaronmarke,

I can appreciate your concerns with the exchange move and would recommend having this raised as an official complaint. This will allow a case manager to be assigned to investigate this further for you. Steps for having this raised can be located at:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...

Aaronmarkr

Hi DingoDan,

I've made a level 2? complaint I believe already. What about the slow speeds because of telstras DPI? Who do I have to talk to to get someone to respond to this?

Regards,

Aaron 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Aaronmarkr you've mentioned you've raised a complaint for this so your case manager will respond to you directly.

Regarding DPI or other network management theories you may find these articles interesting reading: 

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/2013/02/08/telstra-broadband-experience-trial-mythbuster/ 

and 

https://exchange.telstra.com.au/2013/02/05/maximising-the-customer-experience-trialling-new-ways-of-...

Aaronmarkr

Hi Cas-Ra,

I appreciate the links and although it is possible my poor internet speeds are in relation to other issues this does not seem likely with the research I'm doing. Both those links seem to contain a whole range of blanket statements basically not taking any repsonsibility for throttling P2P through DPI.

This is evident as I'm using my mobile data to P2P over the past 7 days, I'm getting steady download speeds of 3.8mB/s to 4.2mB/s which I'm keeping records of. Shortly after using my mobile data I go back to my Telstra ADSL 20MB connection which over the past 7 days has not achieved more than 220kB/s speed.

How can this be possible? and how is this not blatant throttling? I'd like to also note that the screenshots will show each download speed was for the same torrent with the same number of seeds.

I'd like a telstra representative to explain this please.

Regards,

Aaron 

Support Team
Support Team

Okay sure, to be 100% clear, there is no throttling through DPI on Telstra services. 

Aaronmarkr

What's another possible reason for this then? If it's not throttling.

Support Team
Support Team

P2P file sharing will be impacted by a number of factors, including: the physical distance between your service and the one that you are downloading from; if there have been any limitations placed on the speeds that can be downloaded from them. Another consideration is whether you are over-utilising the upload bandwidth of your service. This means that the communication from your modem will be queued behind all of the upload data which can result in a laggy or slow experience. These are just some of the external factors that can impact on your end-user speed experience.

Aaronmarkr

I'm going to try and address the things you mentioned individually with the first being 'the physical distance between your service and the one you are downloading from' - this is of course true but seeing that my 4G downloads at 15 times the speed I can download from your ADSL 20MB connection this leads me to believe the distance is not the problem. 

The next was 'if there have been any limitations placed on the speeds that can be downloaded from them' please see the last answer I gave that applies to this also. 

Your third was 'Another consideration is whether you are over-utlising the upload bandwidth of your service' in all my research, data and screenshots it is shown that upload speeds per torrent have been limited to 1kB/s (which I'm sure your network and my connection should be able to handle correct?)

I'm not an expert in this field, but I do understand some of it. Are there any other reasons that your service is achieving record low speeds with only P2P downloads whilst you tell us repeatedly it is not throttled at all?

Add on top of this my exchange being moved, the service dropping in and out and also the fact that the link from your website with ookla speedtest.net tells me my conenction speed is 1.1mB/s whilst when I run the test directly from ookla's website at the exact same time it tells me it is only achieving 200kB/s?

So far none of the things I've listed have been addressed and I look forward to someone  from Telstra providing an adequate response to the issues I've raised.

Aaronmarkr

Bump - No one from telstra can answer I take it?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Aaronmarkr,

There's no need to "bump" a post. these are queued to our team in the order they are posted.

CrowdSupport being what it is, sometimes responses from our team can be delayed.

4G speeds being faster than ADSL speeds is inherently true for almost all Mobile Broadband services, including mobile phones. Our 4G network is capable of speeds up to 250Mbps in some locations (dependent on device used, and network type, ect) It is also capable of a much larger bandwidth than most ADSL services, so it's less likely to be limited by things such as "over utilisation" of a particular channel for upload/download.
With ADSL services, if you were to over utilise even the 1Mbps upload, you'd kill whatever download speed you may have had, even if this is normally around the 5-15Mbps speed mark. One of the many limitations of ADSL technology.

Limiting your P2P uploads to 1kBps does not necessarily mean that other service on your computer/device aren't utilising the bandwidth at the same time. I'm also aware, that some P2P software applications have features in place that will limit the download throughput if the upload limits are too low. Something about sharing ratios, not 100% sure as I haven't used P2P software for quite some time.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, that we're not throttling our connections using DPI or any other means.

We did actually conduct a Trial of this on 2013 in Victoria with a small number of services, where the customer actually opted into this trial to help us out with feasibility.
The practice was discontinued after the trial and was not implemented as standard practice for any of our services.

The fact that you've indicated that your typical ADSL connection speeds are around the 1Mbps mark, could be the likely contributing factor in your difficulty using P2P applications. I would imagine that your speed test results are far greater on 4G.

- Matt

Afrocowboy

Well I'm sorry your wrong Brodie..... my mate worked for telstra as a tech and he said that Telstra do throttle the connections.
NickWride1979
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have a lot of issues with Telstra, which never get addressed.  So I am informing other customers here, in case others are encountering the same issues and getting the same jerkaround from Telstra's New Delhi Customer Support Call Center.

I have also had issues with Streaming and P2P throttling on Telstra NBN.  a friend of mine has iiNet ADSL2.0 and get's almost flawless HD streaming on Netflix, where I get buffering so bad, it can't recover and kicks me to the movie/TV series main page.  On PC as Netflix has an Auto setting that can't be disabled most of my Netflix was 144p when my tablet at least showed 720p, but both would buffer in a few mins and then kick me to the show's page.  the same happens with Stam.  Stan doesn't have forced Auto quality like Netflix on PC, but it still buffers a minuite or two into the stream, can't recover and kicks me to the movie/tv show's page.  Telstra don't throttle Presto (surprise, surprise), but becaus of partnership monet deals I can't watch Presto on my TV as I won't use T-Box Apple TV (or any other Apple product) I don't own an selected (most expensive) model of Samsung Smart TV, and chromecast produses sup-par quality with the colours being all wrong and the picture being insanelyy dark.  The Steam client can't play movies properly either as in a 15-30 seconds of playing a 480p video of a game I am considering buying, it buffers for 5 mins, then plays for 15seconds and buffers for 5 mins.  This is unacceptable for the highest speed NBN I can get.  and the near $200.00 dollar bill every month is also unacceptable.  I also was forced to bundle my home phone to get internet, and have the most expensive landline in Australia.  Why do I have to pay as much as a public phone to make a local call?  and why is it also cheper to ring a mobile number, from my Vodaphone pre-paid mobile than from my Landline?! (thank god I wasent forced to bundle my mobile to get internet too.  Telstra mobile is a crapshoot with the constant outages.

Also on the topic of widespread Telstra outages.  I have lost connection to my landline and internet a few times with these outages, and on the "I'm sorry, free downloads for a day" days I can't connect to google or any website as Telstra can't handle the traffic.  so not only do I not get the conpensatory data, I also can't connect to the internet on that day too.  Unacceptable.

When Using bittorrent to download large Video Game mods (a perfectly legal use of bittorrent) I don't seem to get higher than 2Mbps download, but the upload seems to go to 3mbps so I am uploading more than I am downloading.  and when I set a cap on upload speed the download speed still won't go above 2Mbps.  My Speedtest is 98Mbps Download and 37Mpbs Upload (although I am paying for 100Mbps Download and 40Mbps Upload).

I am also making a game mod that will be extremely large (An UltraHD Texture Pack for Doom, Doom II, and Both installments of Final Doom) and I estimate it to be multiple giugabytes when it eventually gets completed.  I then plan on making a PSP torrent for it for tose with slow and/or patchy connections and hosting it on my download page with the direct download links.  If I am under Telstra at that time, I will have to have my machine on 24hrs a day for a year or more before someone else gets enough data to seed it.  as Telstra still doesn't offer unlimited Donwloads on NBN, despite the competition offering uncapped, unthrottled, unlimited NBN downloads.  This is not going to be feasable and people that want my mod (I already have lots of positive international support) that don't have a consistent connection would not be able to get my mod.  This mod is meant to be my way of breaking into working professionally in the Video Game industry in the graphics department.

I am sick of being on hold for sometimes hours at a time, to talk to a foreign call centre and get the same patronising is your router turned on, can you turn it off and then on BS.  I build my PC and converted it into a home theater this year, after upgrading the GPU to a GTX1080 and rewiring the whole rig to a new PSU.  I know tech and find it insulting to be treated like I am a noob.  On top of this Telstra keeps restarting my contract, and I have been on my 2 year contract for 4 years with nearly 2 years remaining.  I still remember when Telstra had to double it's poor allowances to match the competition, so the my 500Gb per month went to 1Tb per month.  Although I apreciate it, i did not request it and did not sign anything, so I fail to under stand why my contract started again.  When I got Telstra Platinum so I did not have to wait on hold for as long, my contract started again.  I paid for a support service, and made no hanges to my NBN plan itself, why start the contract again?!

I am currently seeking legal advice regarding this contract issue, so I can get out of this Telstra plan, so I can go to Internode and get unlimited downloads at better speeds, without throttling, at a far cheaper price, and not having a neutered network and being required to pay to get is un-neutered with this additional "Speedbost" BS.  I have been documenting the issues for an ACCC complaint, and am also thinking of contacting A Current Affair, and Today Tonight, If I can't get this issue resolved, with my lawyer.

I am sure it is a criminal act to lock someone into a lifetime contract when they signed up for a 2 year contract and signed nothing since, granting express permission to extend said contract..

Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
NickWride1979
Level 3: Gumshoe

Apologies for the Typos in my previous post. I am struggling fighting off a flu/gastro-like virus that had me in hospital for a while, and I still have shakey fingers and difficulty concerntrating, due to a headache that won't go away. I ran out of edit time to fix them.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man how to fish, he eats for a lifetime.
Xetrok

Telstra don't throttle P2P downloads.

It will be your settings in uTorrent.

The number of connections/upload bandwidth is probably saturating your link.

In the 'Bandwidth' area set 'Global number of connections' to 20, 'maximun number of connected seeds' to 20, 'number of upload slots' to 1, 'maximum uplaod rate' to 3, 'maximun download rate' to 0 and then try downloading a ubuntu torrent https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads 

P2P torrents also depend on other users uploading to you, if you get connected to 20 peers and they all upload at 3kb/s then that's only 60kb/s download.

You would usually find for legitimate torrent's this is not an issue.

teknoboi

Im having the same issue!  it alll happened around the time when they started blocking torrent sites.   Everytime i download a torrent, speed goes to a max of 150kb/s fluctuating up and down to 1kb/s.   I rang telstra and they told methey dont throttle but clearly they are doing something to reduce the speed of my torrent downloads.  

HOWEVER,  when i use my VPN, my downloads hit up to the 800-1000+kb/s...  currently not being an issue as i have a VPN.

But as a customer, paying premium price for a service that is 2nd rate and being throttled/censored/call it what you will is ridiculous.   I wonder what TIO would say to that?  

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The blocking of torrent sites is a legal requirement as Court injunctions have been made by Foxtel which compel Telecommunications companies (not just Telstra) to block those sites that are listed in the injunction.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Nahaz

That injuction is for Web Browsing and not torrenting and it blocks those web addresses, not throttles them.

Regardless of this you will see that these people have this problem before the law was introduced and also they are complaining in regards to just normal public sights that host game updates etc.

@Jupiter wrote:

The blocking of torrent sites is a legal requirement as Court injunctions have been made by Foxtel which compel Telecommunications companies (not just Telstra) to block those sites that are listed in the injunction.

Dmau

I think some of these people are a little silly...im on telstra...i can torrent at 11megabytes a sec on hfc..Linux from ausgamers (in brisbane)..

you need to port forward...lots of times its uPnP not working properly..on some consumer grade modems routers its barely usable at best..

user error not telstras fault..thanks please come again.

downunderxx

I am a 20-year Australian military-trained communications specialist, who has over the years, had plenty of dealings with Telstra; mostly very negative. Needles to say, I have had Telstra technicians crying on the phone after having been reduced from 22 employees to 2, with no decrease in the work, and Telstra blocking a client's domain internally in the Telstra network so mail to the domain from within Telstra was blocked. In that case it took a pending law suit and pressure from ICANN before they did anything.

When I moved my location I was confronted with the issue that I was 6km from the local exchange, and with the degrading copper connections, I was lucky to get 3Mbs download through Internode on ADSL 2+. So my only option was Telstra who had a Top-Hat box at the local (500 metres away) traffic lights, with fibre-optic cable from the box to the exchange. That resulted in a speed of 10-12 Mbs download and 0.9 upload, even though line tests by Telstra indicated I could get 14.5Mbs.

Right now I am looking at the rotating spoke wheel while trying to watch MLB on my AppleTV, which is connected via 1GB ethernet to my router (no wireless). Even though my speedtest.net (via AARNET in Brisbane) connection is still 9Mbs+ the incoming stream is reduced to a snail pace; read unwatchable. I can interrogate the MLB server and get a solid 6250+ Kbps  connection.

Any employee of Telstra who claims that they are not throttling your streaming connection is either blindly repeating the company's fake client blanket statement, or flat out lying. The standard line from Telstra is to blame others as most people accept what they say. They do deep-packet inspections, and limit the high bandwidth streams during high congestion periods to maintain the normal internet activities of others. When you advertise certain speeds, and people pay for certain downloads, you had better deliver on those speeds.

I can prove what I am saying by connecting to a VPN service. Here Telstra cannot inspect the packets, and therefore cannot throttle. Except if you start using most of your bandwidth per month they will probably just slow you down overall.

Fortunately there is something we can do. The ACCC are currently canvassing for volunteers to allow for network monitoring to establish Telstra (and other ISPs) bad behaviour. My friends in the ACCC have indicated this is going to lead to a class-action on behalf of all clients that are being rorted by these unscrupulous bullies. Go to the ACCC web site to join in the program.

Hopefully MLB will join in with their own law suit as I have already suggested to them.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now