CrowdSupport®
Max2143
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra unable to enable premium speed boosts?

Answered

Hello,

An NBN engineer was at my house recently and tested my line at 65Mbps. I asked Telstra if I  could buy the premium speed boost add-on but was told that they could not apply it because "some customers are not getting the speed they want". Has anybody else been told this?

I was told this was for all customers but I don't know what to believe since I have a bit of a history with trying to get the speed boost. A couple of years ago when I first connected to the NBN we were getting 40-42Mbps with the premium speed boost applied. Over a period of about 12 months I kept enquiring about it and was told that the boost would soon be applied at the node and they kept refunding me the money for the add-on. Someone eventually told me that my line was not good enough to get over 40Mbps - I thought if that was the case it was odd that the speed was consistently smack on the limit. Now (another 12 months after that) I find out my line can actually do faster... Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra unable to enable premium speed boosts?

It's a tricky one as the RSPs copped it from the ACCC for selling plan speeds that customers could not achieve. Technically, Telstra would need to monitor your line for about a week to confirm that you can get over 50Mbps (and to determine the line's capability) and then get you to explicitly state that you accept that you will not be able to get the full 100Mbps service even though you are paying for the 100/40Mbps speed boost (thereby satisfying the ACCC requirement).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

It's a tricky one as the RSPs copped it from the ACCC for selling plan speeds that customers could not achieve. Technically, Telstra would need to monitor your line for about a week to confirm that you can get over 50Mbps (and to determine the line's capability) and then get you to explicitly state that you accept that you will not be able to get the full 100Mbps service even though you are paying for the 100/40Mbps speed boost (thereby satisfying the ACCC requirement).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Max2143
Level 1: Cadet

Ah, thank you very much, I wasn't aware of that.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now