Staidltd
Level 2: Rookie

Terrible experience as a new customer

I organised for Telstra to install a new service at my 80 year old mother's home in March 2019.

25 GB of data for a lady who only ever uses email and has an android smartphone with everything turned off. Smart modem with "backup sim".

The technician was meant to come to install NBN after I left since I don't live with my mother, so I asked for the router to be positioned in the middle of the home.

I returned on 24 August to find there was less than .05mbs per second signal coming through the router. My mother had also received a message from Telstra several times saying they would slow down her router because she was working off the SIM card in the smart modem - unless she fixed the issue herself.

They had positioned the NBN router 1 inch from the floor. In the corner of the house.

Anyone who knows anything about a wifi signal knows that you never place a router in the corner since the signal wont travel.

And how can you expect an 80 year old to fix a problem they don't understand by accessing a router 1 inch off the ground? By lying on the floor?

24/09/19: I called Telstra. Lovely lady answers, very sympathetic. Promises it will all be restored in 24 hours. A technician will come out in 5 days to reposition the router.

25/09/19: Called Telstra. Technician runs test and finds out router hasn't been connected. There hasn't been any service for 5 months. Apologises and says we will be called by a representative. No-one calls.

26/09/19: Called Telstra. Spoke to billing. They refund 5 months fee plus a late payment fee for the direct debit we set up but they never put in place.

Internet is now working, am told credit will be applied to account and we wont pay anything till it is consumed. We once more set up direct debit.

27/09/19: We get email remind to say bill needs to be paid on 28/09/19. We ignore it since we were told it would come off credit.

29/09/19: Bill is paid direct from our account. Technician does not turn up.

5/09/19: Wake up early to work. No internet. Call Telstra. Am told we have consumed 26.5GB of data. I say this is impossible. Am told that it is possible. Am also told that on the same day I called to report the service wasn't working (25/09/18), we had consumed almost 5GB of data! and so on every day for 12 days till we had consumed all our data. Even when we weren't in the house, data was being consumed in huge amounts! Spend 2.5hours on the phone and am told only option is to apply one of three 'top ups'. Ask to speak to supervisor called Gary (whose employee number I took, just as I took the names of all 8 people I have had to speak to so far) who was the epitome of rudeness. He literally told me he didn't have time for this.

06/09/19: Switched off all devices. Checked every possible angle. Only switched on data to make two Skype calls for business, total time consumed 2.5hours. 

07/09/19: Woke this morning to check data usage. We consumed 3.35GB of data. Impossible. Video calls, or video-chat, are the most commonly used of Skype's core features. However, video calls use more data than voice only calls, so it's important to know the difference. Video calls use 270 MB per hour, which is good for 4 hours on 1 GB. On a 50 GB plan, you can video-chat for 132 hours.  Courtesy of the web.

I have read through literally hundreds of forum posts. This issue is endemic. Telstra are perfectly aware of this matter and I can only conclude this is either a scam to induce customers to increase their data allowance and consequently pay more money; or their equipment is faulty on a mass scale.

The promises we have been made have not been kept. The accounting system has been faulty and to have had money taken from my mothers account is dishonest. We have seen no evidence of a credit being applied. The whole system is a shambles.

I should point out, in the event some diligent person may actually monitor my post and reply, that my mother lives on a farm isolated on its own in the middle of the countryside, a key reason for using NBN. There is nobody within any distance capable of accessing her wifi signal and furthermore, I have worked in IT, running a world class software company, since 2008. I am more than willing to provide my credentials. I have locked down the hub, run all the checks, know this data usage is IMPOSSIBLE.

In short, this is a scam and no-one is owning it. It is a disgrace and a crying shame that customers are being fleeced. This firm is acting like a third-world organisation.

I will not hold my breath for an answer; and I am convinced this will not be resolved.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Terrible experience as a new customer

Hi @Staidltd

Thanks for that feedback and very sorry that you and your mother have had this disappointing experience.

This is not a matter that can be resolved via Crowd Support however have you been able to raise a complaint to have a case manager assigned? If so, can I please have your complaints reference number so I can reach out to your case manager directly?

I look forward to your response.

- Jimmy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Staidltd

Jimmy,

Thank you for your response. Which case number would you like? I have so many but despite that, I have not as yet received any response from any case manager, despite being promised this every single time.

Here you go:

INC: 06653324

INT: 1-2171289924619

INT: 1-2181663617769

I cannot of course tell you what has been written on those references; regardless of what they say, I can assure you they have not been resolved. I am also as yet unable to see any reference to the credit I was promised.

I also asked to escalate a complaint when Gary - employee 750408 - was incredibly obstructive and unhelpful; this after I spent two hours waiting for John in billing who after two hours of refusing to put me through to a supervisor put the phone down on me. The escalation of this complaint is:

SR: 1-2181787081233

Jimmy, I have been through this CrowdSupport forum extensively and I see many, many people have raised the same issues and had similar replies to yours. It is also interesting that it is always the same reply, practically the same words, as though this is exactly how you have been trained to reply.

What I find interesting in your response is that you do not have the same disclaimer your colleagues appear to have, which, roughly speaking, says that although you are disclosing you are an employee of Telstra, Telstra are in no way responsible for your response.

Does this mean that you might actually take responsibility for this and resolve this matter for me?

I look forward to finding out.

Kind regards,

Staidltd

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Staidltd,

Thanks for having that confirmed and I can see that there was a followup link provided for the reference of INT 1-2181663617769. I have sent on through a request for this consultant to get back in touch with you so this can be discussed and hopefully resolved further. As we don't have access to schedules I can confirm when they will be available so have inclouded their supervisor in this request so it can be actioned asap. Please allow 2 business days for this contact to be made and let us know how it does go when they have been on the line. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Staidltd

Hi DingoDan,

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose is of this forum really. I write to one person, another answers and I am told there is a follow-up link and you will send a request...

What is that supposed to mean???

The link you refer to was provided by John in billing. The same John who left me waiting for 2 hours only to tell me that he had added a credit to my account. The same credit Dezza in billing told me she had added on 26 August, over 10 days before. John actually cut me off after 2 hours and never called me back, even though he had my number and had called me before. You call that service?

You guys spend all your time telling the client that you are going to do something. And then you never do it. The guy who replied to me before didn't reply, you did. Now you are telling me someone else will reply?

You simply don't seem to understand that your clients will soon tire of this cheating. I know it isn't your fault, this is how you have been trained. But you have been very badly taught and this will put your jobs at risk.

Take care of your clients and they will take care of you. Cheat them and you only cheat yourselves.

One last thing. The only link I think you should really chase is the escalated complaint, 

SR: 1-2181787081233. This man, a supervisor, is a prime example of all that is wrong here.

Mind you, he escalated my complaint against him so for all I know there is no complaint.

Yours sincerly

Staid

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Staidltd

I'm sorry for any concern caused by different people replying to you comments on Crowdsupport.

Our team works 24x7 & due to this, you may receive replies from other team members depending on who is currently on plus there are many community members who may also respond with suggestions that may help. 

The purpose of the Telstra CrowdSupport website is to provide Telstra customers and others with a central place to ask customer service questions about Telstra products, services or related topics. These questions can then be managed by both Telstra employees and/or other community members. Its overall goal is to make finding solutions to commonly asked questions easier.

We have had reports from many other customers over the past couple of years & have conducted full reviews of our usage recording systems/processes from end to end.

No systemic issue was found with the way that we record/monitor customers usage.

This is not to say that there are never issues with usage recording, no system is perfect, but these are very uncommon and in almost all cases the issue is actually an unknown or unused feature on a customers device.

I can see that the complaint reference you provided was closed as there is a another complaint about the same matter that is currently still open. I'll be following up with the team managing this complaint to request contact on your behalf.

While you can expect contact as soon as possible, it does usually occur within 2 business days when we follow to request contact on your behalf.

If for some reason you don't hear anything by close of business this coming Wednesday, please let us know here.

We appreciate your patience & apologise for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Staidltd

Hi Shannon,

Your reply is well worded and appreciated. I would like to make a couple of points in reply.

The point you address - about different people replying - means there is no continuity. It simply does not make sense for different people to try and pick up different threads all the time. As a customer, it would make sense for me to have written once on here and have one person reply, own it and resolve it. 

As things stand, whatever I write on here, I get a response from a different person every time. And it is the same when I call. Every time. Do you realise that you are now the 11th person I have dealt with? And what has been resolved? Nothing!

You also refer to a complaint 'being closed'. By who? And, if another complaint about the same matter was still open, does it not prove my point, namely that the left hand clearly has no idea what the right hand is doing?

Sadly, I know I am not even writing to you but the great, faceless Tesla....

Doubtless today I will receive another email from another employee. And, despite all the promises - read the trail of replies - no-one has called. 

Sincerely

Staidltd

Support Team
Support Team

The feedback is appreciated @Staidltd 

If a second complaint gets raised about the same matter, the duplicate is usually withdrawn to avoid double handling.

That complaint is open though which means we are still working on this.

I did follow this matter up for you yesterday when advised & as much as I'd like to provide an earlier time frame to expect contact in regards to your complaint, this wouldn't be building the correct expectations of what to expect when we have followed up on your behalf.

Rest assured, you will be contacted as soon as possible.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Staidltd

Its great to have a response from the same person for a change!

Thank you Shannon. I really do hope you can help me to get this sorted, I'm always happy to reverse my opinion if merited.

I look forward to hearing further updates. 

Staidltd

So Shannon, here we are, much as expected. 

NO-ONE has contacted me and it is well past close of business on Wednesday.

These were your words to me on Monday:

I can see that the complaint reference you provided was closed as there is a another complaint about the same matter that is currently still open. I'll be following up with the team managing this complaint to request contact on your behalf.

While you can expect contact as soon as possible, it does usually occur within 2 business days when we follow to request contact on your behalf.

If for some reason you don't hear anything by close of business this coming Wednesday, please let us know here.

We appreciate your patience & apologise for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Shannon: It has now been 2 WEEKS since the complaint was opened.

Words, words and words. Please now write me some more in answer to this question:

Do I have to sue your company or will you just release me from my contract?

You are quite simply a dishonest organisation. The way you are treating not me, but an 80 year old woman, my mother, is a disgrace.

You should be ashamed.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Staidltd,

It's concerning that contact is yet to be made, I apologise for that. 

I have reached out to the Case Manager's supervisor to request follow up ASAP.

Staidltd

Yesterday was my birthday. What did I do? Waited for Telstra to not call again. Despite your promises.

Staidltd

Now you go quiet on me? 

Level 25: The Singularity

Well, abusing the staff here is hardly going to endear them to you when there is nothing else that they can do other than what they have done.

You do realise that Crowdsupport isn't an official support channel, or a Live Support channel for that matter? As was explained, it's primarily a place where customers help out other customers. The Telstra Staff are here to moderate, give advice and (unfortunately) give the Complaints Managers a nudge to get back in contact when they haven't. They can't access personal/accounts information, discuss the particulars of complaints, etc due to privacy restrictions due to this being a public forum.

If you aren't getting anywhere with your Complaints Manager, your next option would be to lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman via www.tio.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Staidltd

Your response is so typical. You call what I wrote abusing the staff? Have you even bothered to read the trail and ask how your company is abusing its clients? Has anything I have written to date been offensive or factual?

And what exactly then have they done? Strung me along for days and days. Better you actually come out and say "There is nothing we can do: if our own colleagues won't listen to us requesting them to respond, how can we expect them to listen to you?"

Why make promises you can't keep? But that's wasted on you 'Jupiter', you instead accuse me of being at fault. 

Pathetic, truly, truly pathetic.

Not my company. I am just a customer like you. 

As I said, if you are not getting anywhere with your complaints manager, lodge a complaint with the Ombudsman. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now