CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
dolly1938
Level 2: Rookie

The NBN data usage

Answered

I am eighty three years old (old folk love boasting about their age) and I have had a computer for at least twenty years, in that time I have probably had about four different internet providers and I guess I am on my fourth computer. During the same period I have never ever been told I had overstepped my data usage, that was until I joined the NBN.

Now, when I get to about two thirds of the way through the month I am told by telstra I am approaching my data usage limit which is 50 Gigabytes a month.Yes, that is what I signed up for because I was told this was generally quite sufficient for a two person family.

I have paid my taxes every year for the last sixty eight years and I thought it was we, the taxpayers who funded the NBN to bring us up to speed with the rest of the developed world. When you get old you obviously get dopey, because I thought our taxes were going to provide us with a faster internet at approximately the same price we have always paid. Now I find that for me to continue doing what I have done previously, it is going to cost me another $240 a year to increase my usage from 50GB/mth to 500GB/mth. What a rip-off. This is obviously designed to make sure almost everybody will be paying the higher rate. If it wasn't , there would not be such a difference in gigabyte allowance between the small and medium bundles.

This missive also confirms that one gets grumpier as one gets older. I would not mind paying the extra if it was being collected by the Government as a contribution toward the cost of the NBN., I object however, to the internet providers being able to use it (the NBN) as a cash cow to be milked to improve their bottom line.

Perhaps someone can explain to me why it is necessary to have such a giant leap...... 50 to 500 GB/mth between the two bundles I have referred to. Judging by my first couple of months usage, I could get by on about 75GB., but no, I will have to have and pay for 500GB. Why not a straight out, payment for what we use, the same as applies to just about every other commodity?

I think it is because I am not familiar with "apps" that I am not able to find out how my data is used. I presume there is some way of getting an itemised account which explains what my 50GB monthly is being used on. I have been unsuccessful in finding such a document on Telstras "My Account". I would appreciate some help.

Although we each have one gigabyte of data an our telephones, we do not use any of it because we are concerned we are going to be hit with bill for using something we do not understand. We can find our telephone non-usage on our telstra account but not our data usage for our computer.

Can someone tell me please, If I receive an email with an attachment sized at 1000kb, am I only charged for opening it the first time or do I pay again if I view it more than once?

On the same email, am I charged again for on-sending it to a friend, and if I happen to send it to ten friends am I charged for the original 1000kb or am I charged for ten times that size?

We watch Netflix movies and I would like to know how much data we use for this, or is it included in our netfix charge? Does the same apply to catch-up television?

I am sure there are other old timers who would be interested in finding answers to the things the telstra site does not tell us.

It would also be nice it this site included a spill chicker.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: The NBN data usage

@dolly1938

Hi sad to see no-one explained to you the difference in the speed allowances of the old technology and the NBN technology.

If your watching Netflix then 50gig will not be enough data allowance, if your watching Netflix in High Definition then you would be possiblely  using up 3gig/hour data transmission. about maybe 16 hours of viewing. dont try using Ultra High Definition or you could be using up 10gig/hr ...

It would be best to log into your Netflix account and set streaming rates manually and set them for Standard Definition

see here about Netflix 

If your running newer computers/ tablets you will find that they also tend to chew out data unless you turn all their auto updates off .

If using Win10 you can go into settings and set "Data Sense" to show you what programs you are using and how much data they use as well as a limit.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

The ISP don't pay the NBN a flat rate per customer but are charged on CVC (Connectivity Virtual Charge), so the more data the ISPs provide their customers the more they pay to the NBN and as NBN is owned by the government the more money is returned to the government.

If you use an email client the you only use data when you first download the email, not every time you view the email. If you view the emails online in a WEB browser you use data every time you view the email or download a attachment. When sending email every time you send an email you use data but if you send an email to several people at the same time you only use the data as if you sent the email to one person.

When watching Netflix, catch up TV or streaming Video from any source the data used depends on quality of video and ranges from 300 MB per hour (ABC IVIEW) to 7 GB per hour full HD video. Some streaming services vary the quality of the video according to the speed of the connection so unless you have manually set the quality you will be using more data for the same amount of video now that you are connected to NBN. Below is an extract fro the Netflix help page showing how much data is used and how to manually adjust the video quality setting.

"Adjust your data usage settings

1. Access the Your Account page from a web browser and select Playback Settings.
  2. Select your desired data usage setting (please note that each estimate below is per stream, and that restricting data usage may affect video quality):
    • Low (0.3 GB per hour)
    • Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
    • High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
    • Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)"

If you use Skype for keeping in contact with family and friends more data will also be used as the quality of the video is automatically adjusted to match speed of connection.

If you have a Windows 10 PC you can see how much data is used per app for the past 30 days by going to

Settings > Network & Internet > Data Usage > View Usage Details.

There is also an application Glasswire that shows how much data is used in real time

This site does have a spell checker. Its the last icon on the right hand side of the top toolbar.

Accepted Solution

To view online the data usage of your NBN account log into Telstra My Account

On the left hand side under Plans and Usage Click on Your Bigpond Section.

Click on Usage right hand side.

A graph of your daily usage is displayed.

The data is usualy 24 hours old.

Data_Usage.JPG

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

@dolly1938

Hi sad to see no-one explained to you the difference in the speed allowances of the old technology and the NBN technology.

If your watching Netflix then 50gig will not be enough data allowance, if your watching Netflix in High Definition then you would be possiblely  using up 3gig/hour data transmission. about maybe 16 hours of viewing. dont try using Ultra High Definition or you could be using up 10gig/hr ...

It would be best to log into your Netflix account and set streaming rates manually and set them for Standard Definition

see here about Netflix 

If your running newer computers/ tablets you will find that they also tend to chew out data unless you turn all their auto updates off .

If using Win10 you can go into settings and set "Data Sense" to show you what programs you are using and how much data they use as well as a limit.

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Accepted Solution

The ISP don't pay the NBN a flat rate per customer but are charged on CVC (Connectivity Virtual Charge), so the more data the ISPs provide their customers the more they pay to the NBN and as NBN is owned by the government the more money is returned to the government.

If you use an email client the you only use data when you first download the email, not every time you view the email. If you view the emails online in a WEB browser you use data every time you view the email or download a attachment. When sending email every time you send an email you use data but if you send an email to several people at the same time you only use the data as if you sent the email to one person.

When watching Netflix, catch up TV or streaming Video from any source the data used depends on quality of video and ranges from 300 MB per hour (ABC IVIEW) to 7 GB per hour full HD video. Some streaming services vary the quality of the video according to the speed of the connection so unless you have manually set the quality you will be using more data for the same amount of video now that you are connected to NBN. Below is an extract fro the Netflix help page showing how much data is used and how to manually adjust the video quality setting.

"Adjust your data usage settings

1. Access the Your Account page from a web browser and select Playback Settings.
  2. Select your desired data usage setting (please note that each estimate below is per stream, and that restricting data usage may affect video quality):
    • Low (0.3 GB per hour)
    • Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
    • High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
    • Auto (Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current Internet connection speed)"

If you use Skype for keeping in contact with family and friends more data will also be used as the quality of the video is automatically adjusted to match speed of connection.

If you have a Windows 10 PC you can see how much data is used per app for the past 30 days by going to

Settings > Network & Internet > Data Usage > View Usage Details.

There is also an application Glasswire that shows how much data is used in real time

This site does have a spell checker. Its the last icon on the right hand side of the top toolbar.

Accepted Solution

To view online the data usage of your NBN account log into Telstra My Account

On the left hand side under Plans and Usage Click on Your Bigpond Section.

Click on Usage right hand side.

A graph of your daily usage is displayed.

The data is usualy 24 hours old.

Data_Usage.JPG

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now