Highlighted
JaiR
Level 1: Cadet

Throttling Certain Websites

Twitch.tv consistently gets throttled by telstra. The transfer speeds soft cap at 2.5Mbps, which sucks because it allows at the most 480p viewing.

My phone is with optus and 4G speeds are only slightly faster than my broadband speed, yet via 4G i can watch twitch on 1440P no buffering, both on the phone and on the exact same computer and browser when tethered.

I contacted Twitch.tv support and got directed to a technician via phone and got told that they do not throttle their output towards us and that the issue most likely lies within an external source such as the ISP throttling.

If this is the case, lets say someone was making a living from Twitch.tv and without saying throttle the connection, is that even legally plausible?

Telstra continues to disappoint.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Throttling Certain Websites

Im not aware of any services being throttled by Telstra, unless you're on the 4g backup has been throttled or haven't paid your bill.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

JaiR
Level 1: Cadet

Not on 4G back up and i have unlimited internet which has been paid for.

Let me reiterate;

Speeds on Telstra home broadband - 1.1 MB/s down and 0.7 MB/s up
Speeds on Optus Mobile Teathered to PC - 1.2MB/s down and 0.72MB/s up

Youtube on Telstra Home Broadband - 1080P no buffer
Youtube on Optus Mobile Teathered - 1440/1080P no buffer.

Twitch on Telstra Home Broadband - 480P maximum and buffering
Twitch on Optus Mobile Teathered - 1080p no buffer.

What else can i say, as i stated i even contacted twitch and they said no problems on their side or on route to me.

I checked the usage of twitch at 1080p, 35MB a minute = 583kb/s. I have 50% bandwidth usage at 1080P, yet i can barely watch 480P. Any other website such as youtube with similar bandwidth usage to the second works perfectly.

Level 21: Augmented

It's technically rather difficult to throttle one particular site... I'd be sceptical about Telstra throttling this particular site...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

It would look to be a twitch issue as youtube is working. Telstra Provide the pipe of data and it looks like there is plenty of bandwidth, your device just isn't using it.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 21: Augmented

I would agree with @343GuiltySpark... Often sites like this cannot cope with the load, but instead of admitting it they blame third parties... Of course routing can play role too, but from what I got it seems twitch.tv does not seem to have any latency issues on Telstra...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now