JaiR
Level 1: Cadet

Throttling - The Last Straw

I am going to go on a tangent, because the customer support and answers i have been getting relating to said subjects have been diverting and unhelpful.

I am going to pick apart every little reply i have been told and thoroughly explain my subject as it seems Telstra staff assume everyone is an idiot.

Certain places get throttled, we all know this, P2P services seeming to be a primary target. I am going to prove this as well as i can.

First i will disprove the answers i have already been given;

Routing/Modem - The router/modem use full amounts of bandwidth for majority of websites (youtube, steam) however do not on P2P services such as BitTorrent. I have replaced the Modem and Router multiple times and have moved houses 3 times in the period between these replacements.

Your end/ Your PC - Well i have an older laptop that i factory reset to sim some internet data which i will explain later, i have a total of 3 PC's and 2 Phones connected with Telstra in the household and all share the same issue.

The P2P Service/ IP's Problem -  I contacted one of said places which was a BitTorrent based launcher for a game. They specifically said "there is no issue on our end and you should be seeing full speeds from us". Yet speeds are still extremely low with selected services.

Now i am going to offer some proposed issues CS has given me over calling them;

" Maybe Something Is interfering With Your Connection" - sigh

" We will check your server and line status ... there appeared to be an issue ... it is resolved now" - sigh

" Have you tried troubleshooting?" - sigh

" Have you tried disabling any VPN software you may be using" - sigh

" Please send us _ _ _ data" - sigh

So now i will offer some hard data.

Disclaimer of sorts: this was all done on a factory reset laptop via Ethernet connection. I actively monitored bandwidth usage, unlimited any limiters in program or windows settings and set up an environment to sim data.

Steam;

Via laptop w/VPN-  terrible, 250kb/s ~

Via laptop wo/VPN - 1.1 Mb/s with clean bandwidth 

Via all other connections - 1.1 Mb/s with clean bandwidth.

Youtube;

Via laptop w/ VPN - 480P maximum 

Via laptop wo/VPN -1.1 Mb/s with clean bandwidth. (1440P with no stuttering)

Via all other connections - 1.1 Mb/s with clean bandwidth. ( 1440P with no stuttering)

BitTorrent;

Via laptop w/VPN - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via laptop wo/VPN - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via all other connections - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via Optus Mobile - 1.5Mb/s consistent, no other latency.

Via Optus Mobile Tethered to Laptop w/wo VPN - 1.5 Mb/s consistent, no other latency.

Twitch.tv (this one is strange because i dont believe it is P2P)

Via Laptop w/VPN - Watchable without buffering to 480P ( around 250kb/s)

Via Laptop wo/VPN - Watchable without buffering to 480P ( around 250kb/s)

Via all other connections - Watchable without buffering to 480P ( around 250kb/s)

Via Optus Mobile - Watchable to 1080P without buffering.

Via Optus Mobile Tethered to Laptop w/wo VPN- Watchable to 1080P without buffering

Public Domain Torrents

Via laptop w/VPN - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via laptop wo/VPN - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via all other connections - 256kb/s maximum, while causing high latency in all programs used on the same connection.

Via Optus Mobile Tethered to Laptop w/wo VPN - 1.5 Mb/s consistent, no other latency.

uTorrent ( this should be throttled as it is "illegal")

Via Optus Mobile Tethered to Laptop w/wo VPN- 1.5 Mb/s consistent, no other latency.

Any connections formed here are with "test" torrents, ones designed specifically for checking connection and peer connection. I made sure to calibrate such torrenting programs with the fastest peers and seeders and SIMed data based on these, there is deviation due to the seeders and so forth as my mobile speeds are around 1.8Mb/s ( down to 1.5Mb/s using these programs 300kb/s~ loss). I also use an expensive VPN that most ISP's do not have problems with as i do need it.

These were all tested within the same stretch of time while clearing all caches including DNS caches between sessions/SIMs.

I am now looking for any other proposed reasons to why this would happen with said websites only on Telstra, when i have deducted all problems from modem, to PC, to location, to type of connection.

I have all data gathering recorded for proof references. Why i am making such a big deal out of this is because i am growing and creating a business via the internet and BitTorrent a program i was planning on using for future developments, after contacting and making deals with them, turns out it gets throttled by unknown sources and i do not want potentially customers using said programs if they wont work due to ISP's.

Another reason i chose to post this here is everyone who has the problem gets ignored or diverted and never gets fixed and i believe this is intentional throttling with intent to deceive customers. Just look through your own website.

Thus if no one can offer any reasonable counter argument i will be taking this up directly with the ACCC as it takes 8 hours to get anywhere with Telstra CS no matter the type of contact used and any complaint lodged will not go anywhere.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Throttling - The Last Straw

Crowd support is only a community forum and to my knowledge Telstra doesn't throttle any services.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more