CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Danceman
Level 3: Gumshoe

Torrent Downloads Blocked?

Answered

So the question is have Telstra effectively blocked Torrent downloads? Regardless of the legality or otherwise of this activity, if the answer is yes they better be prepared for a mass migration to other ISP's with the imminent presentation of the Oscars and release of the most downloaded series of all time (Game of Thrones). Telstra subscribers are not going to ring the helpline or admit here they download Torrents, they will simply cancel, check with friends which ISP they use and whether Torrents are blocked then subscribe to it. If my suspicions prove correct, Telstra shares are about to take a serious nosedive.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Torrent Downloads Blocked?

@Danceman wrote:
There are many other users out there who use Torrent downloads for purposes which while they might not be legitimate could be understandable, most often to replace old favourite movies previously stored on videotape.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but what is illegitimate is illegitimate no matter what you think might be understandable, full stop.

I have been involved as a expert witness and also published several academic articles about it in few cases of copyright infringement and penalties are extreme. 

While torrent is still widely used for legitimate purposes (e.g. distribution of Ubuntu and Kali - the famous forensic Linux), it is more and more being blocked everywhere. Where I work, we have been blocking torrent for more than 5 years now. Same applies to TOR.

No one is going to risk being sued and pay huge fines for being a carrier of illegal material and unfortunately how the laws are currently working, if you allow TOR, torrent and other "interesting" protocols through your network, you are carrier and you are liable...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

Many Torrent Sites are blocked due to orders issued by the Federal Court of Australia. All named RSPs (about 50 companies) are legally required to block access to them, so you will find it hard to find one that doesn't.

You are a bit behind in getting indignant about this as this process started in 2016 and the number of blocked sites has been increasing every few months. Anybody who still illegally downloads worked out how to do it back in 2017.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Danceman

I am not talking about the access to Torrent sites, as you point out anyone can do this. If you read my post properly, I am referring to the actual downloading process, which has apparently been blocked for the last week or so. It does not matter which site you are trying to download from, or even if you are using a VPN, if you are a Telstra customer (until I am informed otherwise) you can no longer do so.
deathgrip
Level 1: Cadet

Worked alright last yesterday. No vpn required either.

Just checked and I can still download Torrents. But yes, blocking torrents would be bad as a lot of companies use it to distribute legitimate software and data.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Danceman

Hi, guys. I actually posted the original message on behalf of a friend who runs a Cinema in a Retirement Village with the restriction that he can only show movies after they have been released on DVD and cannot charge for them. There are many other users out there who use Torrent downloads for purposes which while they might not be legitimate could be understandable, most often to replace old favourite movies previously stored on videotape. I make that point only to indicate that if an ISP was able to block Torrent downloads (and I am sure that they can) it would be financial suicide to do so. So I called my friend after the couple of replies here and suggested that he run a virus scan. He did so, and while the scan did not find anything the Torrent downloads started working again. So we will give Telstra the benefit of the doubt, perhaps it was a setting in my friend's computer which the scan picked up, I am not computer savvy enough to know why it would have been corrected and not reported but anyway his friends at the Village can continue their weekend movies. Thanks to those who replied and set me on the right track.
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

@Danceman wrote:
There are many other users out there who use Torrent downloads for purposes which while they might not be legitimate could be understandable, most often to replace old favourite movies previously stored on videotape.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but what is illegitimate is illegitimate no matter what you think might be understandable, full stop.

I have been involved as a expert witness and also published several academic articles about it in few cases of copyright infringement and penalties are extreme. 

While torrent is still widely used for legitimate purposes (e.g. distribution of Ubuntu and Kali - the famous forensic Linux), it is more and more being blocked everywhere. Where I work, we have been blocking torrent for more than 5 years now. Same applies to TOR.

No one is going to risk being sued and pay huge fines for being a carrier of illegal material and unfortunately how the laws are currently working, if you allow TOR, torrent and other "interesting" protocols through your network, you are carrier and you are liable...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now