CrowdSupport®
Level 3: Gumshoe

Trying to get upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2+ on a Tophat

Answered

I am connected to TRALCA15 which had its tophat activated at the start of the week.

The switchover to the new ports happened last week, which myself and the other whirlpooling neighbours know about because our speed went from 0.5Mbs to a consistent 7Mbs.

I applied to change (on the same 200Gb plan) to ADSL2+ a couple of weeks ago for the second time and the upgrade was accepted and my plan changed in the account screen on MyBigpond so I assumed things were happening. 

On Tuesday after others had been upgraded and the Tophat spreadsheet showed that the tophat was fully active I enquired via the live chat as to when the connection would be upgraded (especially as the physical part had been done).  I was told the 23rd so I hoped that as per the Bigpond FAQ the change would occur at midnight and it would be changed when I got up yesterday and of course it was not the case.

So I rang yesterday morning and the call centre person checked my account and told me that I was on an ADSL plan with no request for a change to ADSL2+ ????. 

She supposedly changed my plan but nothing has changed in the past 30+ hours - my connection is still at ADSL1 speeds no matter how many times I reboot it and MyBigpond still says I am on an ADSL2+  plan but it has been saying that for a week or 2.

Is there someone else I can call or would churning to another ISP sort it?

Aaaaaagggghhhhhhhh.  It is mightily frustrating to be so close to good speeds after being on rubbish for decades.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Trying to get upgraded from ADSL to ADSL2+ on a Tophat

All sorted and connecting at over 20Mbps!

Thanks for your assistance Gareth.

My tip of the day is to not apply for an upgrade on a Tophat until it is officially activated.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Is there someone else I can call or would churning to another ISP sort it?

I'd recommend you use the Live Chat team, they are realy good. Other option is to send a message to one of the Telstra Mods here with your details.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can understand fully your frustration at your speeds after so long. I personally chose where to live based on line sync. Yes I know- how lame.

Let me know if your plan doesn't switch to ADSL2+ and I will check that there are no kinks in the process.
Highlighted

I have just spent almost an hour with a very helpfull person on the Activations help line.

Unfortunately it seems I am mistaken in my reading of:

a) the Telstra pamphlets dropped in my letterbox telling me ADSL2+ is available

b) the tophat upgrade spreadsheet and associated maps which show my whole street covered by TRALCA15-DA15

c) my speedtest type speed going from 0.5Mbs to 7Mbs on ADSL1 at the same time as neighbours who are on the tophat and have since been upgraded meaning that I am also connected to the tophat; and

d) MyBigpond accepting my change of plan to ADSL2+.

I assume my phone connection bypasses everyone elses and finds an alternate route via a different rim/cmux.

Highlighted

On chatting with neighbours on Whirlpool I have come up with a possible theory:-

The Tophat, TRALCA15, I am connected to covers 2 DA's (geographic service areas).  DA15 & DA17.

I reckon that Telstra's systems are only recognising that the people in DA17 have upgraded connections and those of us on DA15 are still on an old crap connection.

This is based on the grouping of those of us who have been upgraded live in DA17 and those of us who are struggling to either get upgraded or even an internet connection live in DA15.

Is this feasible?

Highlighted

My theory has been quashed - at least 1 other person in my zone already has ADSL2+, albeit via another ISP and not without a fight.

PS.  That nice Gareth is looking into it for me. 

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Yep chasing this down. Did some digging into root cause whilst watching Arsenal fightback against Tottenham.

It's not a run of the mill problem. Stay tuned.
Highlighted

Thanks Gareth

I contacted Activations yesterday lunchtime and they submitted an 'Order'? against my account.  Hopefully that is in the system and is something for action to be registered against.

PS. Another person on the same cabinet looks to be in a similar position after finally getting a port yesterday (unable to get internet previously), he looks to be stuck on ADSL1.

Highlighted

Just got a call from Telstra to say my connection should now be at ADSL2+ speeds!!

Will mark this as solved after I check it tonight.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

All sorted and connecting at over 20Mbps!

Thanks for your assistance Gareth.

My tip of the day is to not apply for an upgrade on a Tophat until it is officially activated.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Congrats!! I have been waiting for an upgrade to adsl2 in our area since we moved in about three years ago. Others have been waiting longer. Did you do anything to speed up the process???

Highlighted

Sorry about the delay in responding - I don't visit as often now my issue is resolved.

No speeding, I was just lucky to be among the first areas to have this upgrade installed.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit