CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
xt20man
Level 1: Cadet

Turn off NBN Connection Box while overseas?

Answered
We recently had fixed wireless connected. Everything is working fine.
The question is should we switch off the NBN Connection Box while we are overseas for 4 weeks or leave it running?
We occasionally have power blackouts in our area.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Turn off NBN Connection Box while overseas?

Hey @xt20man,

You should leave your NBN supplied equipment on.  The amount of electricity it uses is minor, and even with the power blackouts, the NBN battery should kick in automatically.

Of course, you can turn off your router/gateway if you want.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Hey @xt20man,

You should leave your NBN supplied equipment on.  The amount of electricity it uses is minor, and even with the power blackouts, the NBN battery should kick in automatically.

Of course, you can turn off your router/gateway if you want.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

gibbsy81
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Not really reccomended for since it recives firmware updates when its idle i beleve.

It draws hardly any power so probbly not really of major concern.

It also would cause the batterys live span to be redused because it wont have the constant trickle charge that it normaly has.

MisterQ
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Of course, the other consideration (giving that it is wireless) is that leaving it on, and unmonitored - not that it is, much, when at home, is that it's an opening for people in the area to leach your internet  bandwidth, if they have managed to break in)

As for being on to download firmware? Give me a break - I have had a telstra delivered CG3100D2 for three years, and there are known bugs, still not resolved, and there has been one firmware update in that time (which didn't fix the problems...)

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.
BradleyAmm
Level 3: Gumshoe

@MisterQ wrote:

Of course, the other consideration (giving that it is wireless) is that leaving it on, and unmonitored - not that it is, much, when at home, is that it's an opening for people in the area to leach your internet  bandwidth, if they have managed to break in)

As for being on to download firmware? Give me a break - I have had a telstra delivered CG3100D2 for three years, and there are known bugs, still not resolved, and there has been one firmware update in that time (which didn't fix the problems...)

No if the NBN fixed wireless is left on it cant be hacked. 

The wireless on your router would the source if it was the be hacked. Turn it off is up to you. Leave the NBN stuff on. I would leave the router on so when you get home you wont have to wait to start uploading your photos. 

Tansa
Level 1: Cadet

You can turn it off to save $ on your power bill and save data on the bandwidth shared with other users on downstream from server
The_Augur
Level 6: Bloodhound

If you recently installed NBN, then this should come without the backup battery (unlike early models). So any replies referencing backups are moot.

Personally, I would then switch it off - it's no different to resetting the NBN connection when you turn it back on.
4 weeks is not an eternity - unlike politics - and any updates would be installed in a jiffy.
kevbod
Level 3: Gumshoe

Just to clarify are you talking about NBN wireless or NBN FTTP having a battery backup? I have installed heaps of NBN wireless and am yet to see one with a battery backup. In saying that the last one i installed was possibly more than 3 months ago. From a technicians point of view i don't really see any problem with turning the NTD off unless it has a battery backup. in which case if you were really wanting to switch it off it woud be a good idea to disconnect the battery as well. Both NBN and Telstra would reccomend leaving the NTD switched on though and just turn your router/modem off.

Yes I am a Telstra employee but any opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the Telstra brand name.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now