Highlighted
mihidum
Level 2: Rookie

Ultimate Cable Packet Loss

Answered

Hi,

I recently moved house and had cable installed. I haven't been able to play any games until about 3 weeks ago and when I did I discovered I was experienceing packet loss (sudden ping spikes, loss of connection).
After waiting a week with no improvements I called up and was told there was an area wide signal noise issue for my area (Endeavour Hills, 3802) that would be fixed the next day. Calling up the next day I was told it would be another 3 days. I was still experiencing signal loss so at the start of this week I called up and was told they had fixed the issue, and I told them I was still experiencing packet loss and it was arranged for a technician to come out. He came yesterday and had a look at the modem saying everything looked right and that my connection stats were within specification.
Unfortunately I'm still experiencing packet loss. I have a CG3100D-2 with settings matching http://www.extreame.net.au/pages/CG3100D-2.v1.0.5.best.setup.php. No other devices are in use

Pingplotter :pingplotter.jpg

Connection :

connection.jpg

Note : I've never seen it get the actual current time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 20: Director
Accepted Solution

Re: Ultimate Cable Packet Loss

In reply: @mihidum

I think I can **bleep** this in the bud today - now.

The PSU is not the correct one for this modem, I do not understand how you have that PSU, as I asked for a image of the PSU sticker to confirm it was a Netgear, yet I get a internal barcode (Well to be fair, I cant tell what the hell you have there, but it aint a Netgear PSU).

It should look like this: Netgear branded - 12 volts @ 2.5A

PSU

Please find and install the correct PSU for this unit, and re-test all pings, does it stop the ping lag?

I understand from experience that using a different PSU for this modem can damage the unit, if this is the case, then you will need to contact BPTS and organise a new unit to be sent out.

If a new unit is needed, then make sure you remove the old PSU, unpack the modem and new PSU, unplug your current PSU, connect the new PSU that came with the unit and use what is supplied with the modem.

Using old or incompatible or "replacement or not the original Netgear PSU's will not work with this modem. It must be a Netgear branded PSU using 12 volts @ 2.5A - period.

Looking forward to hearing if your lag stops, if not then you need to organise a replacement modem (and follow my instructions above to correctly install the supplied PSU). Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16

Your SNR is very low, this may indicate upstream issue's.

Can you post a screenshot of your modem event log.

Are you running PLEX? If so, disable it and test again.

Do you have any connected splitters/attenuators? If so, remove them!

It is unusual to see no ToD, as EuroDOCSIS 3.0 depends on ToD before uploading a modem configuration file. With that said, they may have disabled ToD to sort out this wide area issue.

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

mihidum

I did mention to the techinican that came that from reading online it seemed that the SNR was not right, he said that it was okay.

I do run plex, I shut down and unplugged the computer that was running it. Doing another test results in :

ping2.jpg

No splitters or attenuators. I'll add that it was professionally installed, new connection (no previous cable outlet). Haven't touched it other than to check all the cables were in properly.

Modem event log :

eventlog.jpg

eventlog2.jpg
Thanks for the fast reply Smiley Happy

Looking at your SNR, it is very low, and just above specs, but having all 8 bonded channels at such a low SNR will cause issue's (dropouts, packet loss).

Disabling PLEX has stopped the packet loss on the first hop, so that is an improvement.

I strongly suggest that you contact BPTS and have them escalate this issue to a L2, so they can look at your connection and see if there are any bad codewords that significantly directly effects your connection.

If it is the case, they may indeed need to come out and fix the noise issue on your connection (it could also fix itself if there is a wide area issue, after maintenance).

As for any further adjustments that I can suggest, well I cant, due to the low SNR.

How long is the coax from your wall plate to the modem?

Is the coax connections finger tight?

Looking forward to your reply Smiley Happy

mihidum

I'll call BPTS again, and ask for a L2.

The coax connections are finger tight, and roughly a metre (arm length) long.

Thanks for all the help Smiley Happy

Length is good, finger tight is also good (better than spanner tight).

As for an L2, you need to understand that you have to ask for the issue you have already reported to be escalated, you will not get a L2 just by asking for one, and when an L2 is assigned to your case, wont come to your home, they will call you first to discuss the issue with you.

When an L2 is assigned to your case, they may take up to 7 to 14 days before you get that phone call - just so you are fully aware of how this works. They need to be able to monitor the connection to get a clear look and focus of what the issue is.

Let me know if you need any further advice, or run into any issue's with the escalation Smiley Happy

mihidum

Hi Extreame,

An update on the current situation.
The L2 technician replaced the modem and installed an attenuator and that has my levels looking a bit better :

connection.jpg

The packet loss/ping spike didn't go away so he suggested that I raise it to the Network Engineers and keep a log of my pings over time.

Relevent screenshots :
speedtest.jpg
gamearena.jpg

google.jpg

pingplot-speedtest.jpg

extreame.jpg

Ping Logs : Let me know how to send these to you if you want them, they're just "ping google.com -n 1000 > datetime.txt"

It's actually quite amusing, I tried to play a game of Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 the other day on my PS3, and every minute or so I would get a "attempting to reconnect" and go back 3 seconds. In another match I was made host, which lasted 2 minutes before everyone got disconnected and went back to the lobby.

Anyway, I wanted to know if you have any other ideas or suggestions. Thank you for all the help! Smiley Happy

Edit : Forgot to mention that they're sending another technican on Friday as they're missing some details or something like that.

Lets get something straight here, the tech that visited you was NOT a L2, it was a L1.

How do I know this? Because he asked you to have the case escalated to a L2 tech. See my previous post.

I do not see any reason (or evidence) that a tech would install an attenuator on your connection, as it does not make any sense to add one, there simply is no need to add any attenuators at all - to a EuroDOCSIS 3.0 connection - period, as your connection statistics do not warrant one.

Attenuators are ONLY designed to attenuate power levels on a single frequency connection, such as DOCSIS 1.0, DOCSIS 1.1 (Elite - or - FOXTEL) or DOCSIS 2.0, attenuators are not designed for a bonded frequency network like EuroDOCSIS 3.0 and will only impede the connections health.

If the tech was influenced to add an attenuator, he was either lazy (cant be bothered arguing with the customer), stupid, or fully not reading his own signal levels correctly from the tap.

This tech needs to be reported for complete stupidity if he did add an attenuator to your connection.

I would think that because your modem has gone to the additional channels, you are seeing some improvement, but this is only a placebo effect.

QUESTIONS: - Please answer/respond to ALL

1) Do you have PLEX installed? (for the 3rd time)

2) Please post a photo of your modems PSU (showing a clear image of the PSU sticker)

3) Please post a photo of the installed attenuator (showing wall plate to modem coax - the whole picture of the coax connection to the modem)

4) Did the tech replace the tap? If so, was the tap connection heat shrink tubed?

5) Did the tech replace the galvanic isolator?

I would be interested in looking at your modem settings to see how it is set up and if the packet loss is attributed to your network, or the Bigpond network, please PM me so we can arrange a time where I can do this.

Then I can advise further.

With the above questions answered, and a look at your modem, then I will be able to give you the correct advice, to get this issue sorted.

EDIT: Please PM me a url of these plots via Google Drive or somesuch.

mihidum

Ah, well the case should have been at L2 and he was the technician that came out after that, is what I mean.

1) I have uninstalled it since last time.
2) Other than the sticker, it is just rectangular and black.
20130627_010917.jpg
3) The attenuator has written on it "08AF03" "5-1000mhz" "Digitek". Just to clarifiy I didn't ask for an attenuator, he did it himself.
Router side -
20130626_143153.jpg
Wall Side  (the cables and box to the left is for the TV antenna) -
20130626_143301.jpg
4) I was not told of it being replaced by any of the technicians. They may have though.
5) Never heard of that before, so again unsure if they have or haven't.

I forgot to mention that I received a call the other day, asking me to check my connection as they had done somethng but it was 5 minutes before my exam so I wasn't able to until much later that day (monday night) and pingplotter was still showing packet loss. While it still is, I tried playing a game of COD on my PS3 and was surprised to find no lag. A game of LoL (League of Legends) also went without any lag. LoL saves network logs which I've formatted and included with the other ping logs. Where it used to have upwards of 600 in the lost statistics, it had 4!
Should I continue to have it investigated or would you say it's resolved?

For the LoL logs (taken from the start of each log) :
 time = time of logging
 address = address of IP address
 incoming = total size of messages set to me in bytes. Spikes can indicate lag.
outgoing = total size of messages set from me in bytes. Spikes can indicate lag.
app_ctos = client to server bytes delta excluding overheads (app data only)
pp_stoc = server to client bytes delta excluding overheads (app data only)
loss = number of packets lost. Can indicate lags.  Some node on the network is dropping packets or taking to long and we have to resend them.
sent = number of packets sent. Spikes can indicate lag.
ping = how long it takes for a packet to get back and forth. Spikes can indicate lag.
variance = how much the ping is changing from avg ping. Spikes can indicate lag.
reliable delayed = This occurs when we drop reliable packets from sending this frame because we are sending to much data. Unreliable are more likely to be dropped than reliable.
unreliable delayed = This occurs when we drop unreliable packets from sending this frame because we are sending to much data.
app update delayed = This occurs when the app is taking to long to run code caused by network packets (ie CPU) and packets are delayed until the next frame
Time spent in critical section (frame) = This is the time the network thread is blocking the main thread from doing anything.

Accepted Solution

I think I can **bleep** this in the bud today - now.

The PSU is not the correct one for this modem, I do not understand how you have that PSU, as I asked for a image of the PSU sticker to confirm it was a Netgear, yet I get a internal barcode (Well to be fair, I cant tell what the hell you have there, but it aint a Netgear PSU).

It should look like this: Netgear branded - 12 volts @ 2.5A

PSU

Please find and install the correct PSU for this unit, and re-test all pings, does it stop the ping lag?

I understand from experience that using a different PSU for this modem can damage the unit, if this is the case, then you will need to contact BPTS and organise a new unit to be sent out.

If a new unit is needed, then make sure you remove the old PSU, unpack the modem and new PSU, unplug your current PSU, connect the new PSU that came with the unit and use what is supplied with the modem.

Using old or incompatible or "replacement or not the original Netgear PSU's will not work with this modem. It must be a Netgear branded PSU using 12 volts @ 2.5A - period.

Looking forward to hearing if your lag stops, if not then you need to organise a replacement modem (and follow my instructions above to correctly install the supplied PSU). Smiley Happy

mihidum

It definitely looks nothing like that.  It's not square, but is rectangualar vertically (width is more than two times the length) and there is no other sticker or branding of any sort.
The router was 'professionally installed' and as such, I don't have any other psu unit.
Where can I get the correct one? And how can I rectify it with Telstra?
Thankyou!

You can get in contact with either DanK or Chi (but not both regarding the same thing) and let them know this thread link and that you need a replacement CG3100D-2 sent to you. This thread will explain why you need a replacement modem, and they will be happy to oblige.

Please do PM Chi (separately) with this thread so he can follow up why you did not receive a correct PSU with your professional install. This step is very important!

Let us know how you get on, will be interested to see the new modem installed with the correct PSU and to see that your lag has gone Smiley Happy

If you run into any issue's, feel free to PM me with your concerns Smiley Happy

mihidum

Hi Extreame,

I've sent a PM to Chi.
Before you replied I tried calling up BPTS about the wrong PSU and they wouldn't listen to me, left me on hold for about 10 minutes before the phone cut out. I had to leave for work so I never got a chance to call again or read your message til now.

I hope this resolves the issue, and I will definitelly keep you updated. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, BPTS does not support customer satisfaction, they seem to only want to aggravate the situation further, hence the Crowd can usually throw a customer in the correct direction that can result in a better customer experience.

I hope that Chi gets into contact with you soon, so this issue can be resolved to your satisfaction Smiley Happy

P.S: If you need anything, please feel free to reply/PM

mihidum

Hey Extreame,

After not getting a reply from Chi for a week I sent a PM to DanK as well. Still haven't heard from either of them (so 2 weeks for Chi and 1 week for DanK). Is there any one else that I could contact?
Support Team
Support Team

Hi mihidum,

I have sent you a PM in regards to this so that we may assist you further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mihidum

Good news!

After being stuck on the captive portal for 4 days with the replacement modem it's finaly working and my tests so far are showing absolutely no packet loss!

I was wrong about the old psu unit though, it did in fact say netgear on the bottom and is the same as the replacement modem's psu unit. Maybe the old psu or the cable was faulty? Anyway, it is all finally working Smiley Very Happy

Thank you for your help Extreame!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now