williamwaffle
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to connect to certain IP

I have been unable for the past year or so to connect to my brother's IP. As far as I know we both have the same Telstra plan and router, and have both tried resetting our routers and disabling our firewalls to no avail. We also live in the same general area, if that helps.

When I attempt to ping his IP it times out, and when he pings my IP it also times out. I'm wanting to connect to him so we can play games; we've tried Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, OpenTTD, Titan Quest, Terraria and Dawn of War. For each of these games we can see each others server on the server list, but when we attempt to connect it times out. We've only been able to play on servers hosted by a third party.

The strangest thing about it is that all my friends can connect to my games, and all his friends can connect to his, but we can't connect to each other. Is there anyway we can fix this?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Unable to connect to certain IP

@williamwaffle wrote:

When I attempt to ping his IP it times out, and when he pings my IP it also times out.

To be able to ping the public IP of the router, answer ping must be enabled in the router. Have you checked that this is enabled in the modem. The setting is usually found in the firewall settings.

If the problem of connecting to your servers was happening to every one I would suggest that you check that the correct ports on the router have been opened.

williamwaffle

Ports are definitely set up properly; we've both disabled our windows firewalls and ping still times out and there doesn't seem to be any option related to ping in the router security settings - but I doubt it'll really affect us being able to connect to each other in games anyway

What router do you have there should be ping setting in the Windows firewall?

Are you on cable there have been post before were people on cable were unable to connect to each others server but others could connect to their server.
williamwaffle

We both have cable using the stock Telstra C6300BD router; there was an archived thread I just found which said the solution is using Bridge mode by disabling Wi-Fi and then disabling NAT, but neither of us can do that as other people constantly use the wifi :/
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I tried following up on this issue, but I was never able to get very far and the cause of this issue was never determined. It has also been quite some time since anyone last posted about this, that I have seen at least.

My only suggestion would be if one of you are within contract to request a replacement modem. For cable services we are now providing a two box solution that consists of a Cable Adaptor (Netgear CM450) and a Telstra Smart Modem (Technicolor DJA0230) though you could connect any router in behind the Cable Adaptor. 

If you one or both of you are able to try this, please do let us know of the result. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

If you can not get a cable adapter one of you could try to turning of WiFi on the modem put modem in Bridge mode and connect a WiFi router to one of the modems ports.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now