Highlighted
CarolRyan97
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to connect to certain people

Hi there,

About 2 months ago a friend of mine moved houses and got set up with Telstra cable broadband and ever since then we haven't been able to directly connect with eachother on skype, games and anything else that isn't hosted and we have to conenct to eachother.

We are both able to connect to everyone else just not with eachother. They have had technicians come and haven't fixed the issue whatsoever. I'm also on cable broadband through Telstra.

We've tried everything possible... multiple factory resets and normal resets. Nothing works expect for one time it did and then it stopped after a night of neither of us touching our routers.

My friend also is unable to connect to this 24x7 service, his internet dies everytime he attempts to.. is there an issue with him connecting to Telstra and Telstra devices?

Is there any possible way to fix this?

Games tell us it's a NAT type issue despite us both being on an OPEN type.

We were both able to connect to eachother when he was on ADSL2+ through a different ISP. I just find it odd that we can't connect when we're both on the same ISP.

I've tried speaking to Telstra on their 24x7 chat but was told that they can't do anything unless one of us pays $240 for Telstra Platinum. Which I think is extremely unfair as we've been with Telstra for 6+ years and they only just got set up and the issue has occured instantly.

Is there anything that can be done?!

Thank you kindly.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
53 REPLIES 53
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Unable to connect to certain people

Hi CarolRyan97, 

This is quite strange, considering you are able to connect to everybody else with no issues.

Our Crowd Support community would need further information in order to diagnose this.  To start with are you getting any error messages on Skype or the other programs that you are using?  If so what are the error messages?

Do you have a Anti-Virus or Firewall program running on your computer ?  It's possible that one of these programs is not configured properly.

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Borack

I have the EXACT same issue, i was with another provider on ADSL and it worked flawlessly. Now that we are both on cable we cant connect be it on xbox one, ps4 or PC....Nat's are open, no firewall. I've had a tech out who found a corroded node and replaced it but still the issue is on going, been over 6 months now.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Borack, 

What make and model modem are you using?  Have you tried a different modem?  As I asked above, are you getting any error messages when trying to connect?  If so what are the error messages?

Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Borack

Sorry for the late reply completely forgot that i made this post. I have the top of the line cable/modem from telstra and have had it replaced but didnt fix it. 

I've tried using my Dlink top of the line router inplace of the built in one of the telstra combo but it didnt help. My brother then used it on his end and it didnt help. 

Its very strange, some times we have issues connecting even in skype but not all the time. we can both play the same server together but if we try to party up before/when we queue it doesnt work : /.

we both have cable with speed packs so our download speeds are normally around 60-110mb/s so flawless with everyone else, just cant connect to eachother.

The error is just a generic cannot connect to other player. when in skype it will say connection quality low and its like a terrible mobile connection dropping in and out then will just constantly try to reconnect.

-_
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hello

This is the same issue discussed in this Whirlpool thread,

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2475327

and here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/index.cfm?action=reply&t=2496981

It is the same issue I have reported here, without recent response despite my recent comments,

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Bigpond-to-Bigpond-Connections-Timeout/td-p/33...

It is the same issue reported here,

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/what-ports-are-blocked-inbound-on-Bigpond-Cabl...

Yet the problem persists for many people.

I have reported the problem at length to Telstra tech support a number of times, each time having to repeat the problem from the start.  I keep being told the problem has been escalated, but there appears to be no fix in site.

The level 1 Bigpond tech support are completely incapable of understanding the problem, or even the basic concepts involved.

As soon as you mention server / port forward / VPN, they immediately revert to their script of "Telstra does not support this, we must direct you to Telstra Platinum..."

This problem has arised directly following the recent cable upgrades, and is preventing certain cable customers from making any form of direct connection between them.

From the discussion on Whirlpool, it appears to be a bad configuration in the upgraded Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS) related to ARP Proxying.

If anyone at Telstra is actually reading this, could you please refer all this information up the chain to someone who actually understands the problem and has access to the technicians who can actually fix this.

To anyone else having this problem, I suggest you demand that the problem be escalated.  The tech support are reluctant to escalate something when they can just follow their script to force you into Telstra Platinum.

This is definitely a Telstra configuation problem, and not a problem with anyone's modem / firewall / port forward etc and you should demand that the problem be properly considered and referred up the chain to someone who actually understands what you are talking about.

-_
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hello?

Does Telstra read any of this?

Borack

Lol come on its Telstra... They aren't known for their customer service
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I apologise for the delayed response.

This issue was resolved on 3rd of February, so if you are still experiencing issues with this, it will be a separate issue. 

If you still experience difficulties, then please provide some current and detailed information regarding your issue and I will pass this along to the appropriate area.

- Shelly

Borack

I can confirm this is not fixed, far cry 4 on xbox one doesnt work, cant even get into a party to try to play rainbow six siege on pc and skype connects for like 30 seconds then just keeps trying to reconnect. 

This is pittyful, i pay more for telstra expecting things to work...

WillDaniel710
Level 1: Cadet

Shelly I hate to disappoint you but this has not been fixed and I have had this issue for several years my friends and I are trying to do something about it can you please just find a way to fix it. I don't understand what detailed information you need it has pretty much been explained already it just hasn't been resolved. Telstra you provide good internet quality but I just can't use it for what I want which renders it almost useless. Hopefully for once Telstra will be helpful.
Borack

And still nothing is being done, contacted telstra about this again and asked for it the be escalated.....over a week ago and since they said it was escalated and they would contact me within three days....

Solid.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Borack, 

It might be better to lodge a Complaint Lodging a complaint with Telstra to have this escalated for further investigation and resolution. 

Kind Regards 

-tony-

I can confirm that myself and my brother both have this same issue. We are both on Telstra Cable and both have the latest Telstra Cable Gateway Max C6300. We live only a kilometer apart but cannot join games or lobbies together as a party on the Xbox One. We both have open NATs for the xbox and open NATs for the specific games we play. We have tried multiple games, including games which used to work (over a year ago) but no longer work. We have tried upnp on/off, port forwading (with static IPs), no firewall, DMZ, rebouting gateways & xbox, and we now have bought new routers (ASUS RT-AC68U) placing the gateway max in bridge mode and it still does not work.

Standard error messages are "Failed to host lobby" or "Connection Failed".

We successfully join parties anytime we play with anyone not on Telstra. Our only workaround is for this non-Telstra person to host the party and then we can sometimes both play with them at the same time. But never just by ourselves.

We are both extremely frustrated with this and are hence adding our complaint here so that hopefully with more people bringing it to Telstra's attention they will fix it. Telstra can you advise what is being done as it is clearly a persistent issue affecting many people - we shouldn't have to be additionally raising complaints for you to fix it.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi -tony-,

I have sent you a private message regarding this.

- Shelly

-tony-

Hi Shelly_Telstra,

I sent you a private message last week and am awaiting your reply.

Cheers

j0hnny

My friend and I have been experiencing this issue for about 2 months now.

Setups:

• Both on Telstra Cable
  • Both connecting to the same CMTS
  • Both have Open NAT settings

Issue:

• Cannot connect directly to each other in online games (e.g. be in a party with just the two of us)
  • Cannot connect to each other in chat party ("NAT type limitations")
  • Putting the telstra-supplied modem/router into Bridge mode (modem only) and connecting directly makes no difference. Therefore it CANNOT be a LAN issue - it must be external to our home networks (CMTS issue would be my guess).

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem?

-tony-

Hi J0hnny,

I have similar issue (see above post) and have just been notified by telstra that they have been able to replicate the issue and as a result are now investigating further. No fix as yet though...

Cheers

Borack

Any update to this issue?

Clint1976

Just called telstra 13 39 33 and yup I get a sales pitch to pay $150 bucks to pay for this issue. 

I think if you all call the telecommunications ombudsman, get the details of your call and quote it so that way telstra can fix this issue and i bet you it a minor one. 

Stuart22

I have the exact same thing when connecting to a friend who is hosting an Assetto Corsa session. Spent hours trying to fix issues inside my LAN thnking it was on my end as all our other friends didnt have any issues.

New lan cables, reset Router, reset router to factory defaults, changed all settings on router, tried different NICs.  Works fine when on a Non telstra phone tethered to the computer.  I have had to use a VPN to connect to the host and allows me to play again.

Poor form that telstra has had an issue like this for months and still no fix.

Danza

My firend and I have had the exact same problem for almost 6 months now. Whenever we call support we are given the $120 PlatinumPro sales pitch aswell. Is their still no solution to this?

jrob

Hey

i am having this exact issue, whats the update telstra? i have just spent an hour on the phone with "tech support" which tells you all the same level 1 support switch off your modem etc. Can telstra release the current IP address to my modem so it can acquire a new one to see if this resolves it at all

Gavin11

Hi I too am experiencing exactly the same issues for the last two months when is this issue going to be solved
Gavin11

Or are you just intrested in slugging people for a platinum service that doesn't fix the issue might have to speak to the ombudsman
benhersey

I have this issue as well.

Has Bigpond acknowledged this as an issue?

Subscribed.

benhersey
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi benhersey,

We have acknowledged that there is an issue.  As an interim measure, we suggest that customers try placing the modem into Bridge mode by disabling Wi-Fi and then disabling NAT. You will need to change these settings using a device connected to the modem via Ethernet  cable. If you have more than two devices in your home, you will need to use a BYO router in order connect multiple devices.

We recommend disabling the Wi-Fi before disabling the NAT as any Wi-Fi devices will compete for the two or three IPs that are available and this will prevent any other device from connecting.

- Shelly

benhersey

Hi Shelley, thank you for replying so quickly. This is good news.
wardski

Well that didnt work. 

I've been having these issues for 6 months in Manly, QLD 4179.

It's amazing, I have Telstra 110mbit cable internet, and yet I have to use my Vodafone 4G in order to play PS4 games with a mate who lives 3kms away (also on the Telstra Cable network and with 110mbit connection), all because of Telstra induced Nat issues.  Even on Nat Type 1 on both ends, its farked.  Both of us forked out $400 for Asus routers to do this Bridge mode  and nothing worked...  I seriously give up and Telstra you should be ashamed...

I am contacting the Telecoms Ombudsman as there is no way I should have to pay for an extra service, to do something that Telstra claim they are the best at...

End rant..

Gavin11

REALLY this is shameful TELSTRA we pay a premium for our service and to say that online gaming isn't a concern is disturbing when is this problem going to be fixed? What happens when everybody has these modems? Is online gaming going to be shut down Telstra have known about this for a while I would advise people to stay away from this service provider as they can't provide a service and don't care about their customers
nicholasporison

It's not an issue of LAN. If you want to connect to the host you must have to buy vpn. As soon as you mention server / port forward / VPN, they immediately revert to their script of "Telstra does not support this, we must direct you to Telstra Platinum..."

This problem has arised directly following the recent cable upgrades, and is preventing certain cable customers from making any form of direct connection between them. From the discussion on Whirlpool, it appears to be a bad configuration in the upgraded Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS) related to ARP Proxying.If anyone at Telstra is actually reading this, could you please refer all this information up the chain to someone who actually understands the problem and has access to the technicians who can actually fix this. To anyone else having this problem, I suggest you demand that the problem be escalated.  The tech support are reluctant to escalate something when they can just follow their script to force you into Telstra Platinum.

wardski

This is Telstra..  it'll never get fixed..

Just better off to leave their service.

I'm so over it

Jared2709

I have the same issue and have had it ever since I got the Telstra gateway max. I have found that if I try and join a one who has a Telstra gateway max themselves it said Nat type issue and we cannot connect. On ps4 for example I can't hear my friends on party chat or join their lobby as it sais Nat type issue but if I try join my friend who has another type of modem everything works perfectly. For example I can join my mate on Telstra who has the previous modem I had before we had the Telstra gateway max no problem. I can also join people from other networks fine but as soon as I join someone who has a Telstra gateway max it fails. I have tried very thing to fix this issue nothing seems to work. I don't understand why we can't each other, we all have open Nat types yet it still doesn't work. This issue is very fustrating and no it's not just an issue with the ps4 I can't join my friends who also have the modem on Skype Facebook calls or anything. The only possible way I can talk to them online is if we get someone without the telstragateway max to host the call or game. It's disappointing to see this issue has not been resolved yet it's almost as if you have handed out broken routers to your customers. The only reason I have kept this modem as it has very fast download speeds and upload other than that it's useless, as it can't connect to other Telstra gateway max modems which most friends have now meaning I can't play hear them online. This issue needs to be fixed. 

Another question ion I would like to ask NBN has just been made available in my area but this modem was sent to us NBN ready will switching to your NBN plans resolve this issue or is the only solution to spend money on an expensive router as you have provided me and all your customers with a broken router.

kennedy1024

Exact same thing all of you guys are getting is happening to me. Can't connect to my friend in any way whatsoever. Have tried a bunch of fixes such as DMZ with my PS4 that haven't done a thing.

Can Telstra please actually look into this? We pay for your service, it'd be nice if it worked. Hopefully one of you actually reads this and tries to do something instead of giving us the same generic responses or sales pitches. But since they haven't in 10 months I don't have any hopes. They clearly don't care.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

I've seen this issue multiple times on cable, and it generally seems to happen if the two people trying to connect to eachother are relatively close to eachother, possibly also on the same cable headend/CMTS.

I can guarantee that there is nothing that Telstra Platinum can do to fix this as it is not a problem with yourr in home network setup, it is something to do with the cable network, or possibly something firmware related in the modem.

The only thing I can suggest is to remove your coaxial cable from the modem (and foxtel to if you have cable foxtel) for approx 10-15 minutes then screw it back it in. That may trigger an IP change which could help, but im pretty skeptical of that making any difference as well,

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have raised this issue with our network team and they are aware of this. At this time I am unable to advise when a permanent solution will be available. Some customers have advised that setting one or more of the Cable modems to bridge mode and using a BYO router has worked as an interim solution.

To test if this will resolve the issue, connect a device to the modem via ethernet cable and disable the Wi-Fi networks. It is important that this is done first because if the modem is bridged with the Wi-Fi enabled, the Wi-Fi devices will compete for the 2 or 3 public IPs available for each service and prevent any other devices from connecting. 

Once the Wi-Fi is disabled, you will then disable the NAT. This will require the modem to be restarted. Test your connection with your friends. If this resolves the issue, you may wish to look into purchasing a BYO router that will allow more devices to connect.

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

benhersey

The approach detailed by Shelly, above, worked in my case. I have always used a separate router because my netgear one seemed unable to cope with multiple wifi connections. Tonight my friend disabled wifi and enabled bridge mode on his gateway max and we were able to connect for the first time since he joined BigPond cable.

I'm unable to understand how this resolves the issue but I'm not questioning it at this point.
Padge007

Telstra should be supplying free Routers as its their mess up!

@Shellock wrote:

I have raised this issue with our network team and they are aware of this. At this time I am unable to advise when a permanent solution will be available. Some customers have advised that setting one or more of the Cable modems to bridge mode and using a BYO router has worked as an interim solution.

To test if this will resolve the issue, connect a device to the modem via ethernet cable and disable the Wi-Fi networks. It is important that this is done first because if the modem is bridged with the Wi-Fi enabled, the Wi-Fi devices will compete for the 2 or 3 public IPs available for each service and prevent any other devices from connecting. 

Once the Wi-Fi is disabled, you will then disable the NAT. This will require the modem to be restarted. Test your connection with your friends. If this resolves the issue, you may wish to look into purchasing a BYO router that will allow more devices to connect.

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Jayden4

This is an issue I have as well, I sent a complaint in tonight, has anyone had any success?
CarolRyan97

I haven't checked back on this thread in a long time.

but I can confirm that after over a year, this issue has not been resolved. If anything, it has gotten WORSE.
Other people in my area have had their connection reset for maintenance and caused them to also be unable to connect.

Had my IP reset within the past year and that changing that does nothing too.

Wish I could leave Telstra but they're the only company that can supply me with Cable.
Fantastic.

Having one person disabling all WiFi capabilities and entering bridge mode shoudn't be Telstra's solution to this.
This is beyond ridiculous.

CarolRyan97

No success.

The only apparent solution is to put the modem into bridge mode and lose WiFi capabilities.
or MAYBE use an older Telstra modem.

Who knows. They still haven't done anything about this.

jonesyy101

Can confirm I am still having this issue a year later. This is disgraceful service. I have tried bridge mode and this failed to do anything. Poor stuff telstra.
lee01

I'm still having this problem aswell ,had a tech come out and replace my gateway modem AGAIN and also update connections ,he was very efficient and still no solution,same thing is happening ....there HAS to be a solution to this problem!!!!!!!!!

Isiah_McMillan

Exact same issue here. Been putting up with it for ages b...

Exact same issue here. Been putting up with it for ages but now I know that this is an issue that most are having I refuse to just deal with it when it clearly the fault of telstra.

CarolRyan97

Submitted a complaint and was only offered Telstra Platinum and to have the fee waived but based on the response in this forum it is clear that won't solve anything.

Thanks Telstra.

xazos

Changed the gateway max to bridge mode, using a different router. Still the same issue. Cannot connect to a friend in GTA. Ridiculous. 

alexdaradman

i have this exact same issue with a telstra gateway max. Two of the people i can't connect with like within walking distance of my house and others far away but they are all on telstra. i have an asus router that doesnt have any effect and im on cable. its been happening for about a year now and its really pissing me off because they are the people that i would play with the most. port forwarding/DMZ did nothing, but fixing your goddamm network might help just a little bit.

CantConnectHelp

Bumping this post because this issue is still happening, and i'm fed up. I have been dealing with this issue for years now.

Telstra can you please do something about this issue, I have no earthly idea why a problem like this hasn't been already dealt with long ago. The only solution to this should not be "setting one or more of the Cable modems to bridge mode and using a BYO router has worked as an interim solution".Can we please at least get some confirmation that there is indeed someone actually still looking into this.

This is a service we are paying for, and I shouldn't be needing to find a solution to a problem on your endThere is no excuse for this, I have been very patiently waiting for this problem to be fixed and it seems having any assumptions that the solution would fix itself (or that Telstra would do something about it) was entirely too hopeful.

As a long term customer I am offended and outraged, and in my opinion rightly so.

Drin

Absolutely this is disgusting. I've been with Telstra cable for about 5 years now and nothing has changed.

As 3 years ago my wife and i moved closer to my family & friends. 4 of my friends on the same exchange & on Telstra cable 100mbs plans like me. We cannot play Destiny 2 properly without someone on a different ISP and Dvinity Original sin 2 AT ALL. We try port forwarding and all the other tricks but nothing actually works.

I've just gotten off the phone to Telstra and gotten the issue escalated even referring to this post that's 3 years old and hasn't been resolved. I had to speak to about 4 different techs before they knew what 'Peer to peer' was and understand what i was explaining.

Beyond a joke. We all went and purchased the TELSTRA GATEWAY MAX router to see if our old original router was the issue.....no fix. Lucky our friend works for Telstra telecommunications and got us the routers super cheap.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now