Highlighted
Sach_B
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to connect to internet in bridge mode

Answered
Hi all I had a look at other solutions for similar issues in the forum but somehow I can't seem to get my bridge mode working. I am using Telstra F@st 5355 ADSL modem/router as primary which works perfectly including WIFI. I'm now trying to connect Technicolor TG797n V3 to use as secondary (bridge mode) in another room. Effectively, I want to connect my NAS and possibly a desktop using this secondary to get better speed. When I select 'Bridge Mode' from Technicolor (secondary)'s settings page, the connection seems to be established after restart. If I keep computer's WIFI on, the internet would work but not otherwise. I've also tried to assign a manual IP (between the range) and ensured all other details (Subnet Mask and gateway) are the same as primary modem/router. When on only Ethernet connection (no WIFI enabled), I can access modem/router page by using primary router IP, where I only see minimal options as it's under bridge mode. I can't seem to access F@ast 5355's page. I believe this also tells me that my secondary modem/router is not fully bridged with primary modem/router and therefore can't access the internet. Please advise if I missed any steps. Thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to connect to internet in bridge mode

The F@st5355 doesn't have a Wireless bridge mode so cannot use F@st5355 as secondary. You need a router or Modem that supports WiFi bridging to use as second router.
The only other option is a WiFi extender that can be used as a WiFi to Ethernet adaptor such as TP-LINK's TL-WA850RE ($39, 2.4 GHz WiFi band only). If there are couple of walls separating rooms it is not worthwhile getting a WiFi extender that works on the 5 GHz band.
Connect Ethernet port of WiFi extender to WAN port of TG797

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Have you connected WAN port of TG797 to LAN port of F@st5355? 

Also change IP address of TG797 so that it is not the same as F@st5355. (Example 10.0.0.140)

Sach_B

Hi cf4
They are both in different rooms of the house, so I'm connecting remotely. The computer I'm connecting to through secondary modem/router is connected through LAN, not sure if that helps.

Thank you.

You cannot connect the TG797 to F@st5355 using WiFi as TG79 does mot support WiFi bridge mode. The TG797 must be connected by cable to F@st5355.
Sach_B

Aha. That makes sense. Is it possible to do other way around (use TG797 as primary and F@st5355 as secondary) as it's not feasible to run cable across the rooms.
If not, what could be the best solution instead of running a cable around? I have tried powerline adaptor but it's not fast enough!

Thank you.
Accepted Solution

The F@st5355 doesn't have a Wireless bridge mode so cannot use F@st5355 as secondary. You need a router or Modem that supports WiFi bridging to use as second router.
The only other option is a WiFi extender that can be used as a WiFi to Ethernet adaptor such as TP-LINK's TL-WA850RE ($39, 2.4 GHz WiFi band only). If there are couple of walls separating rooms it is not worthwhile getting a WiFi extender that works on the 5 GHz band.
Connect Ethernet port of WiFi extender to WAN port of TG797
Sach_B

Great. Thanks for the information and assistance.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now