puks100
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to connect to work vpn through TG797n v3

Hi guys,

I need help here.

I am on Telstra's NBN since June 2013.  Previously I was able to connect to my work VPN fine but since last 2 months I have not been able to connect to the work vpn using the same set-up. 

I have had my work laptop checked by our IT team and they confirmed that there is nothing in the laptop that is preventing me from connecting to the work ntetwork.  In fact I can connect to my work network using my iphone hotspot from home without any issues but the moment I switch on my wifi it wouldnt let me.

I am using telstra's TG797n v3 modem.

I have been on call with Telstra wince 8 pm and its nearly 11.30 pm now without any solution.  They're transferring me in the loop and nobody seems to know what's happening.  does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unable to connect to work vpn through TG797n v3

Hi puks100,

I will flag this one with our tech team for assistance. 

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi puks100,

To confirm if the modem is the cause of the issue, connect your laptop directly to the Uni-D port on the NTD and test.

If this resolves the issue, then you may need to set up port forwarding within the modem, and the best way to do this is via Telnet as Chi advises here:  http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Technicolor-TG587n-v3-How-to-Port-Foward-Open-...

Please note that unless the phone service runs through the modem (rather than the Uni-V port on the NTD) customers can use a WAN capable modem of their choice.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

puks100

Thanks Shelly.  I will do as per your advise below and let you know how it goes.

I do have a phone running through the Modem.  In that case I won't be able to use any other Modem as I believe per your answer.

Thank you and I'll keep you posted.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Puks100, 

You do have the option to bridge a BYO router to the TG797Nv3.

- Shelly

puks100

HI Shelly,

this unfortunately didn't work.  I am not sure what else could be the issue.

When I connect my work laptop to my wifi,I am able to connect to the Internet but still I can't connect to my work vpn using Direct Access Interface.

Anything else that you could do to help me solve this issue?

Thanks

puks100

Hi Shelly,

After a few attempts, I was able to connect to my work VPN using ethernet cable from my modem.

However, the wifi access still doesn't work and that sounds a little weird to me.  I've tried a few times, re-started everything but still doesn't work.

Can you please advise the next step to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are using a BYO router, make sure you are connecting via WiFi to that device, and have disabled the WiFi on the Technicolor modem. This can be done by pressing the ECO button, which will turn the light blue.

Have you tried restoring the modems/routers to factory default settings and reconfiguring again?

Is it possible to do with WiFi interference? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

- Shelly

puks100

Hi Shelly,

No, i am using Telstra's modem only.  I am not using any of my modems.

How can I restore my telstra's TG797N modem to factory's default and then reconfigure?

do you think this will resolve the issue?

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

At any rate it is worth a try.

You can find the user guide for the TG797Nv3 here: http://go.telstra.com.au/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_9FCD6B7EA8672CA2F4300419B62728D6EAD12200/filename/t-...

The steps to factory default are on page 70. 

- Shelly

Elizabeth16
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I am facing exactly the same problem since having the same modem and adsl since about 4 weeks. I can access my work via vpn from any other place but from home. I followed Shelly's advice up to here - problem not resolved. Any further advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

puks100

Hi,

Did you try and re-set the modem back to the factory settings?  did that resolve the issue?  I am yet to do that step so I am not sure if that resolves the issue.

Elizabeth16

Hi,

yes I have tried that and it does not resolve the issue. But I have met several people now online and at work who have the same problem not being able to connect via vpn. Either not being able at all or dropping out after a few minutes. Only with Telstra modems though.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Could you both confirm the firmware version of your Technicolor modem?

- Shelly

Elizabeth16

Hi Shelly, I have software version 10.3.U.9 (software variant BC)

puks100

Hi Shelly,

How do I check the firmware version of my modem?

When I last rang technical support for NBN and asked for the firmware update, they advised me that the firmware is automatically updated on the modem and that my modem's firmware is up-to-date.

I do firmly believe the issue is caused by firmware update (or lack of it) because as recently as February 2014, everything was working fine and that I was able to connect to my work VPN.  Like i said in my earlier comments, I can connect to my work VPN through Ethernet cable but can't connect using wifi (sounds very werid).

Is there anything else required to do from my end?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

puks100,

The latest firmware version is: 10.3.V.2

You can find this by accessing the modem via http://10.0.0.138

- Shelly

puks100

HI Shelly,

my firmware is updated with the latest version.

MaxR
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have recently gone through a similar problem with my employer's F5 SSL vpn, in which certain services running across that vpn such as Cisco IP Communicator and Lotus Notes would seemingly randomly disconnect.  Firstly I found that browsing remote fileshares would re-establish the vpn connection and the failed services.  I also noticed along the way that the dropouts seemed to occur somewhat hourly.

I found that the dropouts didn't occure when I connected via a wired LAN connection, only when using WIFI.  So the empirical symptoms were somewhat confusing.  Under advice from my company's support, I updated my wireless drivers, but that didn't help.

Thinking about the apparent timeing of the dropouts I thought it may be related to the DHCP.  I found the NBN router default lease period was 1hr.  On my previous ADSL router I had used static leases for all my home devices, so I could ensure I knew eahc device's IP address.  Since I couldn't find a setting on the NBN router settings to do this, I chose to change the lease period to infinite - effectively making IP leases static.

Bottom line - no more dropouts!!!

Curious that it only seemed to occur with a WIFI connection, but maybe this is a result of the NBN modem's capabilty and function.

puks100

hi Shelly,

Unfortunately the direct access to my work still doesn't work even after all these delays.  can you please advise how to resolve this issue?

The work guys have checked and confirgmed that there is nothing stopping me from connecting to the work network however "nobody is knocking the door".  In other words the internet connection is not going through to my work network for me to access work through direct access.

can you please provide a solution on relatively urgent basis?

Thanks

puks100

Hi Shelly,

Yes, connecting the UNI-D port straight into the laptop does resolve the issue so that definitely means the issue is with the modem.

so, I followed the steps you advised in the article however the problem still persists.  How can we resolve this issue going forward?

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Puks100,

Did you try the steps that MaxR found to be successful?

- Shelly

puks100

Hi Shelly,

I don't get a drop-out issue.  I simply don't get a connection at all. 

I tried connecting through the wired LAN but that still doesn't help.  The issue is definitely with the modem or firmware because when I do try to connect straight from the NTD device, it works perfectly fine.

I even tried to follow CHI's instruction in telnet but that still doesn't work... I really really need to do work from home this week and without this connection, I am faced with wasting at least 3 hours of my day for additional commute and inconvenience that I can easily do without.

Please help provide some solution and take more interest in this matter.

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you try the port forwarding methods listed on this 3rd party website? http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Technicolor/TG799vn_v2/

Have you tried a factory default of the modem? 

Do you have a spare router to bridge to the Technicolor modem?

As you advised that you can use VPN when connected directly to the Uni-D port, is this a suitable work around until you can confirm the above?

As setting up VPNs are not supported by BigPond Tech Support, I would recommend contacting Telstra Platinum on 137 587 for further assistance if the above does not resolve your issue.

- Shelly

puks100

Hi Shelly,,

Yes I have tried factory default on the modem.  It didn't resolve the issue.

I don't have a spare router at home.

I did use the work-around over the weekend but it creates a lot of hassle for rest of the family in the house as they can't use internet or phone or anything else while I am working.  Not fair on them at all.

I am not asking Telstra Bigpond to help me set-up the VPN.  The issue is the modem is "blocking" my request to the work VPN network and as they work IT tech told me, there is no one knocking on the door so we're not blocking your access at all.

Put it this way, my laptop works fine if I try to connect to my work VPN (Direct Access) through McDonald's wifi access...

All I am asking is for Telstra to help me setup my modem/router in such a way that it doesn't block any request.

That's all...

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey puks100,

As VPN is not supported by BigPond Tech Support, and apart from the possible need to open ports in the modem (also not supported by BigPond Tech Support) there shouldn't be any reason why it will not work. 

This is why I would recommend contacting Telstra Platinum as they will have the knowledge to assist you further.

- Shelly

puks100

Hi Shelly,

The IT techs at work have advised me that my router TG797n V3 is not currently compatible with Microsoft Direct Access protocols and that setting up a Port Forwarding will not help because I am able to establish an internet connection as it is.

Under the scenario, is it possible for you to advise me if this is correct?  if so, when can we update the next firmware update so that the modem becomes compatible with Microsoft Direct Access?

Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have received confirmation that there are no restrictions to prevent the use of Microsoft Direct Access protocols. 

We have passed your experience to our device leads so that they can try a few scenarios, however trying to replicate the exact scenario can take some time.

If they do identify a bug, this will be forwarded to the vendors which then goes through various stages including beta testing before being rolled out to customers. As each firmware update includes several bug fixes, it is possible for firmware updates to take more than 6 months depending on if any issues are identified during beta testing requiring further work.

However, until that testing has been done, I cannot advise if it is a bug or not at this stage.

- Shelly

jordwalsh23

For any others viewing this in the hopes of achieving a resolution, the indefinite DHCP setting has worked for me.

Basically you just go into your router configs on http://10.0.0.138, and under Home Network select Devices.

Find the specific device you are trying to connect on and select it from the list (you might have lots of devices here, only look at the ones that have a current IP). Once you've selected your device, on the top right of the screen you'll see a link that says Configure, click it.

Scroll down to the checkbox that says Always use the same IP Address, ensure that it is checked and click Apply.

You might notice a brief interruption to your current connection, but after about 5 mins or so try connecting the VPN again.

This solved all of my drop out issues.

Good luck.

Jordan

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now