fedup19
Level 1: Cadet

Unable to secure internet to premises

Answered

Hoping someone has some advice on where to go from here as I have just about had enough!!

I have recently moved into and renting a brand new unit (complex of 6 units) in Sydney and have asked Telstra to connect to the internet. Telstra have had to send out 2 x technicians to the property to eventually tell us that there is no cabling from the boundary of the property to the pit. My Telstra move consultant was going to arrange this through there infrastructure team however, in the meantime, I have received a call from the Held order management team advising that the property has not been registered with Telstra and that the owner/developer needs to complete an application form for Telstra Smart Community. Telstra claim it will take a minimum of 6 months before any services can be set up.

My move consultant has pretty much washed her hands of this now as she claims she has no expertise with what the Held order management team are requesting.

My argument is that had the cabling been completed from the boundary of the property to the pit at the time the second technician was here, he would have connected our home phone & then eventually internet at that time!? 

Why do I have to be connected to a Smart Community? If I have to be, why has none of the necessary applications been made by the builder/developer prior to the property being completed? Is this a developer/builder problem? Why can't Telstra just complete the cabling from the property perimeter to the pit and connect a phone line (and subsequently ADSL), as infrastructure is already present from the property to the perimeter? 

BTW we do know that NBN cabling has just been rolled out in the street, however we are unclear when this will be available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to secure internet to premises

The smart community registration they are referring to is the registration by the developer of a new multiple connection development. Based on what the held order team are advising the developer has not completed their required processes on their end. Telstra aren’t able to connect until the developer competes their part.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The smart community registration they are referring to is the registration by the developer of a new multiple connection development. Based on what the held order team are advising the developer has not completed their required processes on their end. Telstra aren’t able to connect until the developer competes their part.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

fedup19
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your response. What is confusing me is why does my premises have to be connected to a Smart Community? Is it because it is part of a new multiple connection development? What about my right as a consumer to have a choice of provider?
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Your premises needs to be connected to the Telecommunications infrastructure that is available in the immediate vicinity. There is no right to choice as a consumer under Australian Communications law. There is a choice if one is available.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now