Bruiser333
Level 1: Cadet

Unexplained High Broadband Data Usage

Answered

Hi All,

Nearly two weeks ago our 25GB ADSL Internet account was slowed due to exceeding our allowance. The usage meter showed 31GB usage in 2 days; not bad going for our slow ADSL connection. We have have never come close to exceeding our limit, generally consuming about half of it over a typical month. We don't download any video content, and I am struggling to think how that data usage is possible:

- our PCs have AV software (which I have run full scans to check), and I have also run malware software to check

- wifi is protected, plus I can account for all devices registered on the modem/router in the last 2 months

- I have young kids who have iPod touch devices, but they typically have been playing Minecraft PE, and maybe a little on YouTube from time to time

- I have looked on PC hard drives for new files that are large (iPods cannot physically hold anywhere near that much data).

I have asked BigPond tech Support for help in understanding how this happened, but they haven't been able to offer anything useful to date. Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could have happened?

Cheers,

Bruce

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Unexplained High Broadband Data Usage

Hi mthomas20,

There are a couple of things you can do, the safest (but perhaps not most convenient) would be to perform isolation tests. Take all devices off the home internet and then only allow once device to use the internet for a couple of days before adding another. This should help you to identify which is causing the usage, however I appreciate this may be impractical.

If you do decide to do the above I strongly suggest attempting to isolate any new devices first, like your son's as he just moved in, or other computers/devices that are using new programs or apps.

Another option is to install usage monitoring software that allows you to breakdown the outgoing traffic by program, which should help identify the source. I cannot recommend a particular one here but I do suggest that you ensure that it is sourced from a reputable site or business to ensure no issues arise from its use.

Finally, most computer techs are able to help you go through and identify possible causes of usage but likely you will need to pay a fee for this kind of service.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Rowes,

Some customers may then need to click on Account Services then My BigPond in the top right hand corner. 

From here you should be able to View your usage and the daily breakdown.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
172 REPLIES 172
Community Manager

Hi Bruiser333,

That does sound strange, it sounds like you have a fair idea of what legitimate usage is occuring via the connection but it is possible there was some malicious activity or a program not functioning as intended. It could also be a fault with the data recorded on the usage meter.

Send me a private message and I can take a look for you but please keep in mind that we do not have logs of what actually incurred the usage, this information is not recorded.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

mthomas20

We have had exactly the same problem. Up until 30/3/13, we only ever used 4-5GB of our 25GB monthly limit month after month. On that day, the usage suddenly soared to 0.5-1GB daily, and we quickly breached 25GB and had our speed slowed - until the kind Telstra Accounting people lifted the brake, and let us try and sort out what was going on.

Have just logged on again and discovered we racked up atotal of 40GB for the monyth (ie another 15GB in 10 days!), and have used 1.3GB in last 2 days.

My son has started living with us and had downloaded one movie on 30/3/13, but since we told him about the issue has used little or no Internet at home. My wife and I have Samsung S3 phones which we sometimes use via home wi-fi, but only to access Facebook.

We have a very complicated home network password, so I doubt any neighbour could be accessing our wi-fi.

How do we find out what is incurring the excessive usage?

Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Hi mthomas20,

There are a couple of things you can do, the safest (but perhaps not most convenient) would be to perform isolation tests. Take all devices off the home internet and then only allow once device to use the internet for a couple of days before adding another. This should help you to identify which is causing the usage, however I appreciate this may be impractical.

If you do decide to do the above I strongly suggest attempting to isolate any new devices first, like your son's as he just moved in, or other computers/devices that are using new programs or apps.

Another option is to install usage monitoring software that allows you to breakdown the outgoing traffic by program, which should help identify the source. I cannot recommend a particular one here but I do suggest that you ensure that it is sourced from a reputable site or business to ensure no issues arise from its use.

Finally, most computer techs are able to help you go through and identify possible causes of usage but likely you will need to pay a fee for this kind of service.

annef

Am having the same problem, used 29GB in a record time of 3,5hrs!!!! which is technically impossible but would Telstra care? I have a 50GB allowance each month and usually only used 15GB but for some unreal reason (and obviously Telstra denies any wrong doing) I managed to used almost 30GB in 3 hrs?!?  Telstra is telling me they can't tell me what sites i have been on however they sent me a report with some ip addresses i visited and funny enough, the site that has eaten all my GBytes is124.182.232.68 which is on owned by Telstra, can't say what site it is but I'll find out because at this stage this is dailight robbery, wont be staying with bigpond if this is what they treat theirs customers!!!

Support Team
Support Team

Hey annef,

That is a large amount usage in a short amount of time for sure and understand your concerns with what has registered on your account. I was just curious if this had been registered in the first few hours of when you have started a new billing period?

If you have an open session when the billing period does rollover then any usage that is accumulated during this session will be counted towards the next day. It may be that you had a download being completed at the end of the billing period and has gone past midnight. The usage that would have been accumulated within that session from start to finish would be included on the next days usage as it does register when the session stops and not from when it starts. Please let me know if this was registered at the start of a new billing period?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

annef

Thanks for your email Dingo but no it wasn't at a start of a new billing period but in the middle of it, so now am left with 2 weeks to go with extremely frustrating slow internet thank god am a few days ago of a new billing period but who knows Telstra might decide to cut me off again?!? I will hassle them until they give me some satisfactory explanation, this is part of their 'detailed' report:

06/05/2013 19:50 06/05/2013 23:35 13501 112587215 4215968583 19672 53136 53306755 124.182.232.68 swy110000202148 8.1 304.9 26392.5 MB 0.3 MB

So basically from 19.50 to 23.35 I used 26392.5MB any idea how could this happen, i would understand if i was streaming stuff for hrs on 10 different pcs but that didnt happen, i dont even think i downloaded anything that day!!!

Cheers

Rowes
Level 2: Rookie

Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone got to the bottom of their excessive data usage? We have 100 GB a month and nothing has changed except I have stopped studing, so no lectures to download, you tube to watch, or assignments with pictures etc to email and Dropbox. Over the past 4 months we have either exceeded our limit before our cycle finishes or we are very close ( 1 or 2 GB off roughly). We have no new devices connected, I've changed my password on my wifi disconnected the xbox but that doesn't go on line often anyway as he doesn't play on line being only a young boy. We don't use our Apple TV at all in fact it's disconnected and has been after the first month it happened as I blamed that and it was too slow anyway. If we download movies they are often from the bigpond unmetered site and on the odd occasion 1-2 times every couple of months max we download a movie from iTunes. We do download podcasts maybe 3-4 per week and put them on our devices via cord so not using wifi. Our printer is connected but doesn't get used anywhere near as much as it use to since studying stopped. We live in a rural area of town and for someone to access our wifi they would physically need to come up our driveway and park next to the house as we can't get our internet from where we park our cars in the driveway. Our closest neighbor doesn't use the internet, in fact I don't think he owns a computer (he still uses an older type phone, not a smart phone even). We are using about 4-8 GB per day and some days we aren't home most of the day. I can't see any pattern and Telstra don't seem to understand how frustrated I am becoming. Every time I ring them as it has slowed down they just "reshape" it which is great but why is it happening? I keep asking them why but I don't get any answers. We have been with Telstra at least 10 years and never had a problem before but I am now seriously looking at other companies as I'm getting no answers and I am sick and tired of having to check daily what our usage is. It is getting beyond a joke. We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 preteens and 1 baby) we don't play internet games or watch you tube or download movies all the time, surely 100 GB should be enough and it has been until October.

Any advice is welcome.

P.S. We have turned devices off and checked internet security. Checked that that isn't updating itself and have turned off automatic updating on ALL devices.

Thanks Rowes
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rowes,

If you leave the modem off for over 24 hours (eg from 8pm through to at least 8pm the next night) does usage still appear on your account?

Also, have you checked on any iPhones, iPads & iPod touches (that you may or may not have) and ensure that Photo Streaming & Photo Sharing are disabled. Other smart phones & tablet may have a similar feature.

When viewing the daily break down of the usage, can you see if there is a lot of upload in comparison to download? Typical upload is 10-20% of the download for normal internet usage and higher amounts typically indicate possible virus activities or is the result of file sharing programs.

Rowes

Hi Shelly,
Where would I find my up load and download usage? I know I have seen it somewhere but I don't remember where :-/ when I did see it I know it wasn't much but I didn't compare it to the downloads. Photo streaming is on on only 2 devices. 1 doesn't take photos and the other not that often but will turn that off now. Also on the Telstra site I
Can only see my daily usage up until the 18-01-14 it doesn't seem to be updating now. Is this because we have had the shaping fixed or whatever it is called. They have stopped it from slowing down if we go over our limit this month.

Thanks and I will turn off photo sharing now and look for my uploads and downloads.

Rowes
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Rowes,

Some customers may then need to click on Account Services then My BigPond in the top right hand corner. 

From here you should be able to View your usage and the daily breakdown.

Rowes

Hi

I have tried the link and accessing it via account services and then my bigpond and it just tells me that access is denied. Why would this be. I tried logging out and signing in again but still the same thing.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Rowes,

This is going to be because you are logging in as your Telstra Account login rather than your BigPond primary account.

Rowes

Hi Shelly,

I managed to get in to my account, which was where I normally go to get my data usage from and ended up speaking to someone about seeing my data usage and I can not access anything more than what I am already seeing.
I think I will have to go to a Telstra shop to get more help as I am going around in circles. After turning everything off on my devices my data is still up. I went away for the weekend and turned off the wifi modem/router (I'm always told I call it the wrong name) whilst it was turned off it seems that no data was used but since turning it back on it has jumped up hugely. We used over 6 GB yesterday and yes we did use you tube but no where 6GB worth. Computers are all disconnected to wifi, no Dropbox is activated or photo sharing on phones etc. I'm feeling very disappointed in this whole situation along with the fact that when I re hewed my contract even though ADSL 2 was available at my address it wasn't offered to me even though it was a new bundle I was signing on to. Seriously considering cancelling this and going elsewhere now. :-( which is surprising as we have only been with Telstra and have been happy until this point.

Melissa
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Melissa,

Sorry to hear that this is making you consider leaving us Smiley Sad In regards to the jump in downloads when you got home, is there any programs that have an auto-download feature? Has the usage been steadily high since your return?

Brodie

Interossitor

Brodie

I stopped using Telstra WiFi seriously some time ago because I could not guarantee I would be billed properly. I was forced from 4 Gb to 8 Gb by this modem. I now only use the Telstra WiFi for emails and Microsoft downloads. I have contacted technical help and been told my usage is not spiking. In fact, it's low.  I know, I've stopped using it!

It may help you to know I am in Brisbane but the signal drops as low as 20%. I have an external antenna, and that gives me a good signal normally. The the signals in this area vary a lot in strength. It was good over the Christmas break when everyone was away.

I probably have left this too long to seriously complain. But I have been paying for a service which is just not good enough and I want it to stop.

I don't believe Telstra staff can now help me and I will contact Administration and see if I can go to ADSL and ditch this modem. That is a pain because I have two sites where I would like tp use this service.

Rowes

Hi Brodie,
No I have nothing that auto downloads and there is no pattern to the usage either. This is really very strange as until August I was studying and was downloading lectures etc and watching you tube all the time as well as uploading assignments continuously as well as downloading many files and my usage was less then now, where I no longer study or play candy crush (no games at all in fact) and my usage is up. I'm feeling like no one really cares or is able to give me any answers. I'm just going around in circles answering the same questions about automatic downloads and uploads. My kids have been banned from x box in case they accidentally download something ( ok the wifi is turned off the xbox) no wifi connection on their devices either anymore. I'm going back to study and can not afford to have my internet slowed each month as my usage will increase just from study materials.
Can you please let me know how much it is going to cost me to get out of my contract? It's an entertainment bundle with my home phone and T box 100GB ( the T box is only used for recording tv and downloading occasional movies, data not counted as well as the basic 11 Foxtel channels also not included in data).
Thanks
Melissa
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Melissa,

We don't have access to your account via Crowdsupport. If you'd like to know the cost of cancelling your service you will have to give us a call or speak to LiveChat: livechat.telstra.com. In regards to the usage, we do have the ability to investigate this, but our testing will only show if the data has generated from you, not what the data is being used for. Our Billing team can get this investigated Smiley Happy

Brodie

Rowes

Thanks Brodie,
I will try to speak to someone about that again as I've now had 2 different answers as to what we will owe. 😔
Torty

I to have had high Bigpond wi fi data uasge

In 3 weeks I have used 32 Gb on a 8 Gb Plan

After buying 3 malware/Antivirus programs I still had the same problem

I then found the following link

malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/

followed the well explained procedure and bingo every thing is fixed

The procedure requires you to download a couple of programs but these are fully functional and free for 30 days

I suggest you try it

Torty

Teouma

I too am having high unexplained usage which results in my account being shaped then having to call Telstra Platinum to unshape then it happens again. 

I am on 100gb Elite plan and the usage spike has been going on since November when they changed my modem and plan to 100mbps.  Today I was shaped again and when I called Telstra Platinum the usage for past 24 hours was 95gb which is impossible.  Telstra Platinum has confirmed it is impossible to go through this amount of download in one day.  I've had Bigpond cable for 15+ years so they can see my usage history and that I am not a heavy user as I only use the internet for emails/web browsing and watching Foxtel app.  

Here is a history of the download usage spikes:

17 Nov - 38490mb

23 Nov - 52536mb

5 Feb - 62836mb

12 Feb - 94435mb

I'm sure Telstra know about this issue as when it maxed out my download on 5 Feb they shaped/unshaped my account without me asking which was confirmed when I called Telstra Platinum to ask why my internet speed was fluctuating.

Could you please look into this asap.

Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Teouma,

There are a number of different explanations for large increases in data usage, but a generalised and constant usage meter error isn't one of them. We have had usage meter errors in the past and I imagine we may in the future but they are usually pretty easy to spot because they are characterised by all of the people in one particular area on one particular type of broadband getting a large amount of usage added instantaneously at one time.

I would recommend giving our BigPond billing team a call on 137663, they should be able to ask you some questions to narrow down what could be causing that increased usage.

-Dylan

Teouma

Hi Dylan.

I've escalated the issue again but I thought I'd update you on today's usage which was the first day of my billing cycle:

10.30am - email received saying 50%/50gb used
3.30pm - email received saying 85%/85gb used
3.30pm - email received saying 100%/100gb used and now shaped

Now I have a whole month dealing with dial up speeds - should never have upgraded to Extreme as that's when the problems started.

BTW I was out all day!

Thanks
Support Team
Support Team

Heya Teouma,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know, please do advise how you go with the escalation, we'd be keen to see what comes of it. Smiley Happy

trevonline

I have never used data on my iphone now chanded to a galaxy s4 mini cause ipphone died!!!

The plan I am on Gives me a 1.5gig data/mth which as I say I dont use.

Any internet connections i do on laptop is through a prepaid mobile broadband modem.....which is a different no. to my phone.

I am now showing a $500 charge for data usage

If I was to buy that data,it equates to

50 gig per month.

On my mobile broadband  pre paid modem

the most I get is a $180 which gives me 8 gig and most times that takes

about 6 weeks to use.

So how am I being charged for 50gig for which I have never connected to with my mobile phone.

It seems that my phone was hacked????? Which may also explain why my iphone just died

Complete operating system wiped from phone..

The problem I face is if i dont pay the bill my phone will get disconnected.

and it would seem from others here that there are no answer to this un explained data usage.

I cant afford to pay this.and even if I did haw can I know this will never happen again.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Trevonline,

Bill shock is no fun at all. To have this looked into you can call 132200 or chat http://tel.st/49kl​with the billing office to see how they can help.

It's certainly possible to get an extension of time to pay

Angela

numnum

I am certain that Telstra has a SYSTEMIC problem with the way that usage is being measured.  This unexplained excessive usage happens to our account way too often.  We have a cable 100gb plan and in two days 'allegedly' clocked up about 56gb!

A few months back it happened again, but only one day...and on that day we were not even home.

I know this has happened to my friends home ADSL 10g plan as well.

Each time we report the problem, we get told the same thing.  Turn off your modem, change your passward etc etc etc.  This is NOT a problem at the customer end.  It is a Telstra problem at the meter end.  And clearly reading the moderators response to these posts, Telstra does not have a solution, and I question it recognises it actually has a problem.

Telstra?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi numnum,

You can check detailed usage via My Account too http://tel.st/cpyn

This may assist in pointing you in the right direction of what's causing the usage

Select service I.E Cable > Click usage > Click View detail usage > Click view usage.

From here you have a drop done box to change the date range

If you want to find out what their service is being used for, you can download a bandwidth monitor onto each device

If you've gone over the limit, I'd recommend having a read here http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Top-ups-our-new-solution-when-you-ve-exceede... what can be done. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

jamierawr88

This is getting ridiculous, some how with the modem off from 9pm till 9am 1.6gb was used. How can that even be possible.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi jamierawr88, 

That's easily explained. 

Usage is only rated twice a day.
So any usage incurred late in the day will appear on the following days totals if the last rating period for the day has already passed.

Rubymax

I am having the same issues as previous users.  My issues started in May when it spiked on the 14th.  I didn't pick up on it until the next month when it spiked 2 days in a row & used all my 12 GB.  I've been keeping watch, turning my PC & Tablet off when not using them however it is still spiking.  Again yesterday it spiked & I barely used it.  I do not download music or videos. The most I do is look up recipes. My wifi is password protected - at one stage it wasn't & the neighbours were using it & even then I didn't go over my 12 GB except once which is what tipped me off .

Can you direct me to where I can check the downloads & uploads aside from My Account as I already monitor it daily.

Any suggestions?

Maxie

Rubymax

Hello

My data usage has spiked again today.  I could see my modem & router flashing however I wasn't even using the computer.  I've scanned with a malware & c cleaner & still it's spiked..  I now have 2 gb left until the 22nd. Not happy.

I really don't want to have to change provider's however if I have to I will.

Maxie

DanW

Hi, I have the same problem started 12 months ago. Had a 7GB plan never used it all and than started running out so went to 15GB which is the highest I can go. $110/month. Same thing went well for a period than same thing running out. Nothing has changed what we do on the net. This timewas told used 12GB in 5 days. Now keep this in mind the modem is turned off everyday at around 6pm and turned back on around 8am in the morning, on sometimes over the weekends it's only turned on for 6 hours for the weekend.

We don't download vidieos or music and only watch a few 4 min y-tubes.

Have contacted telstra a number of times and same old story- everything seems to be working normally and that's as far as it goes. Like last month did the same as we always do and only used 9GB for the billing period. This week 9 days into it and all gone.

Question is why is this happening to us all and telstra will not try to solve this as it must be wide spread. So is there are problem with one of their updates  they have done with their metering?

Will they find it or wait untill the next update hoping it will fix it?

Will we ever get a straight answer from them and the same one?

Dan

Support Team
Support Team

DanW, it's hard to say what could be causing this usage as I am sure you have been told, we do not track what you use your service for.

YouTube video quality will make a big difference in how much it uses and there are many smaller factors that you would not be counting. For example, Facebook usage is quite common however it much higher than many expect, due to constant refreshing and autoplay videos.

From my experience with these issues, I have yet to see any usage recording issues from the usage meter.

It seems you are currently on mobile broadband, you may wish to consider a fixed broadband service for higher usage allowances.

DanW

Hi Jesse, When we done watch a youtube it is not in HD and only occasionly watch a FEW.

We don't do ANY socal media e.g. facebook, twitter etc.

IT would be nice to have a fixed line but telstra doesn't provide one for remote areas which you should know.

WLL (wireless link loop) is the closest we can get to fixed line. So would you have any other suggestions?

It's getting very close for me to tell telstra to remove the tower. Big bucks on there behalf.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DanW,

Regrettably there is no way for us to monitor your usage in that respect. Have you looked at third party monitoring systems to see if this can assist you in accounting for the usage that you are accumulating?

- Patrice 

DanW

Hi Patrice, Yes I downloaded networx to monitor and meter it and there is are difference, but be told by telstra techs that they will not accept a third part.

Look I can tell you straight that we are not using what they say. Going by your meter every day is differant and some are a huge difference.

All I get is techincal talk to confuse me and no real STRAIGHT answer.

Is it against telstra policies to go straight answers?

When is telstra going to give rural areas are fair go? What I'm now I could get 4 to 5 times more usage if I was urban????

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey DanW,

Its strange that we won't take into account that your data monitoring software is showing dramatically different results. Which one are you using? Is it on all devices connected to your internet service?

Brodie

DanW

Hi Brodie,

I installed networx on all laptop. I did give telstra my usage  but was refused on the grounds that they only go on their meter and no third party is accepted. that was at the rural ofice in Townsville. I than was transfer to the billing to submit a dispute and same old story.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DanW,

You have mentioned your laptops, but there are other devices that can connect to the internet which are unable to be included in that data gather such as (but not limited to):

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Content streaming devices (eg: iTunes, Boxee Box & Google TV) 

Tablets

Air conditioners

Printers

Security Cameras

As 3rd party software cannot include these products it is not a complete result.

If it is possible, I would suggest testing a period where only one device is connected to the modem and monitor the results for 2 or 3 days. I know this isn't convenient, or simple if this affects other people in your home. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the usage is calculated in decimal format instead of binary. So 1 megabyte (1024 kilobytes) is represented as 1000 kilobytes even though they are the same amount of data.

- Shelly

DanW

Hi Shelly, I don't have any smart phones, tvs, itunes,boxee box or google tv, air conditioner,securety cameras or anything esle that might be smart. just the laptops which are connected via cable as I was told the wifi uses more data and that was by telstra.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DanW, 

We have a usage calculator that you may find helpful in comparing the differences in usage between different wireless services.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/plans-and-rates/data-packs-australia/data-usage-calculator/

- Ben D

DanW

Ben, I don't need a usage calculator, I need an answer why there is a large difference between my meter and telstras' and why it's all over the shop with telstras' meter. BY the look of all the other posts on this site a large number of poeple are having the same problem with no answers or solutions from telstra. SO it appears that telstra has a problem in their system.

More to the point what's Telstra going to about it?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi DanW

Usage can take up to 48 hours to update as the usage metre would need to take into account unmetred usage

This would be why you would see unrated usage sometimes

If you would like us to investigate & make sure everything is ok on our end, please call us on 133933 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

tom-222

Hi Telstra

I have complained to telstra many times before. I am sick and tired of complaing about the unexplained data usage. I want my money back because in one month we got 8gb and in the first 7 days we use 4.21gb and also when we went on our telstra modem on the hourerly usage it went from 340mb to 204mb in 5 seconds. we dont know where the 100 and something mb came from and where it went to. I am sick and tired of ringing up and having someone from the phillpeanes instead of an australian. I just want my money back or a better deal. 

Regards

Tom 

tom-222

Hi Telstra

I have complained to telstra many times before. I am sick and tired of complaing about the unexplained data usage. I want my money back because in one month we got 8gb and in the first 7 days we use 4.21gb and also when we went on our telstra modem on the hourerly usage it went from 340mb to 204mb in 5 seconds. we dont know where the 100 and something mb came from and where it went to. I am sick and tired of ringing up and having someone from the phillpeanes instead of an australian. I just want my money back or a better deal. 

Regards

Tom 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tom-222

The usage meter is extremely accurate, whether or not you're aware of how your devicea are using the data it is almost always fact that it was actually legitimate usage. While we're unable to assist you here with your account-related enquiry, you can speak with Billing directly on 13 22 00 or here: http://tel.st/hsc3​ 24x7

If you have concerns about the usage meter or need help with device settings to minimise background data speak with Technical Support on 133 933 or here: http://tel.st/gq6m also 24x7

You've mentioned you've made a complaint, if you have an existing complaint SR reference number contact Complaints Reception 1800 814 242 between 09:00 - 17:00 EST and quote your SR number at your convenience to speak with your case manager. 

Also I can advise that we do not record what you use your internet service for, we only record the total data traffic that passes through your service. This meter is updated every 4-24 hours so it does not show on your usage meter in real time, which explains why it looks like it jumps. It doesn't jump so much as your data sessions between the previous update and the latest one appear at the same time, we apologise for any concerns this may have caused you. 

Adi22

Yes I am also having this problem. It is driving me nuts. I was not even home when apparently 2gb was downloaded. We have everythign password protected... it makes no sence. and hours of wating for chat and chat have never solved the darn problem!!

We have used our internet much less this month and we ran out of data in like 5 days!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Adi22

We've answered your other post about this. 

rudd0019

Hi,

My Dad called Telstra this morning because the family Bigpond wifi has not been functioning correctly, web pages don't load fully and youtube (low resolution) won't even play without long pauses. This has been an ongoing issue since January and every time he calls about it they say its the account being "shaped", despite very low usage compared to other plans (My own vodaphone plan for instance).

During the 4 continuous hours of phone calls (exhausting!) we were notified by Telstra tech support that we were experiencing "shaping". Then the modem settings were not correct (despite their set up process), which means we have been paying for an internet service which hasn't been functioning (he started calling Telstra in January and keeps getting the "shaping" response). And then at one point back to "shaping"....

BUT, whilst on the phone adjusting the settings (note: not at the start of the billing service) the data usage (whilst on the phone over 30 mins to Telstra) jumped by almost 700MB. In a highly similar fashion to the previous users noted here. This was while testing the modem connection....not streaming HD movies or anything like that. The wifi was not functioning previous to that so no one was really using it and it is password protected (we also all have internet security). The problem was esculated by Telstra to investigate data spikes (although having read the above comments I doubt there is going to be an effective response to this). If this is occuring (low data usage but high data metering), how do we know if this has been the reason for "shaping" on previous bills? Or it's the old 117MB jump?

Has this data spike issue been resolved or dealt with?

All I see is many responses with highly technical reasons why everyone is using unrealistic data amounts in short periods of time - this is a recurring issue and people shouldn't be asked to use 3rd party software for the price that they are paying (my Vodaphone plan has been used for more internet activity and less data usage ~1.5 GB versus Telstra at now 7 GB).

This is clearly a system problem and Telstra saying that there isn't anything wrong at "their end", seems to be ignoring the fact that people are paying a premium price for a service which isn't functioning; including a resolution process that takes hours, technical third party software and then ultimately leaves the customer feeling ripped off. I find it incredably hard to understand how low data users are chewing through excessive amounts of data....but only on Telstra Bigpond (the premium priced service versus the lower data chewing Vodaphone). 

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more