CrowdSupport®
Scooby45
Level 2: Rookie

Unexplained data usage

For many years, my ADSL was used, amongst other things, to watch Netflix.
Never at any stage did I run out of data (around 40 GB per month)

Since moving to the NBN, I have used two of my 200 GB top ups.

I can compare side-by-side, my Netflix viewing with the claimed data usage. One night I apparently used 45 GB of data watching 2 episodes of a Netflix series?

On my 1st call to the Telstra call centre, I was told to "monitor my usage." And change my passwords - which I have done

I have just been on my 2nd call to the call centre, and this time the person with limited English language skills simply hung up!  Other than change providers, I really don't know what to do ? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unexplained data usage

Hey @Scooby45, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear of the troubles you're having with your service. Can I please confirm which nbn plan you're currently on? Do you have any reference numbers in regards to this? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Scooby45

Usage.JPG

Ive spoken to Telstra again. Lovely person, but unable to help work out whats going on.

Here's another example. 65GB used just last night - for 75 minutes of Netflix (i have the record) ? FYI its the $75 plan

Scooby45

SR 1-2228064782295

Kate97
Level 1: Cadet

I have had the exact same problem. We switched over to NBN only two weeks ago then four days into our new cycle, our entire 100GB plan was used up.

I have called Telstra NBN support twice and they have said the problem is all on my end with my usage. We have been on the same 100GB plan with our cable internet since May and never run out of data. 

Is there some setting to change or box to tick that I haven't done? 

I am currently on the phone with them again because they have said they can unshape (?) something but that was six days ago and still no internet. 

How do I fix this? How do I ensure we don't run out of internet again (noting that we never ran out of data while using our cable plan)

Oh, and Agie, woman I was just speaking to just hung up on me. 

Kate97
Level 1: Cadet

I have had the exact same problem. We switched over to NBN only two weeks ago then four days into our new cycle, our entire 100GB plan was used up.

I have called Telstra NBN support twice and they have said the problem is all on my end with my usage. We have been on the same 100GB plan with our cable internet since May and never run out of data. 

Is there some setting to change or box to tick that I haven't done? 

I am currently on the phone with them again because they have said they can unshape (?) something but that was six days ago and still no internet. 

How do I fix this? How do I ensure we don't run out of internet again (noting that we never ran out of data while using our cable plan)

Oh, and Agie, woman I was just speaking to just hung up on me. 

Scooby45

Glad I'm not the only one!

FYI, I have also reset my Netflix download quality to 'medium' which should use < 3GB an hour. Made no difference.

Can anyone shed light on this issue ?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Scooby45,

What has been advised by Tech Support? 

There are a number of options to independtantly monitor your usage to help get an understanding of what is happening. Can find some information on that via this link: https://tel.st/hpd2m

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Scooby45

Thanks - ill pick an option and try it out

Rob

PlanE
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can I ask what type of nbn technology you have (FTTP, FTTC, FTTN, FW, satellite)?

PlanE
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks for this link - will I be able to utilise any of these apps for adsl monitoring?

I am yet to have the *pleasure* (cough) of experiencing the nbn, though as it looks like we will be unable to access the crappy fixed wireless option our street has been downgraded to (due to a row of trees that will block the signal) As such I want to start gathering proof re our current internet usage in case we are eventually forced onto satellite (which, frankly, we probably won’t even be able to afford AND pay for a landline as well....the landline would win out as we are in a mobile blackspot and would need it for emergencies.) It’s crazy that we all have to suddenly acquire advanced monitoring and troubleshooting skills, but I am grateful for this site as I have indeed learned quite a bit from it :-)

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now