CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
vanderz
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unexplained outage in Pymble 2073

Anyone know what is happening at Pymble? We have had no cable internet or Tesltra Foxtel for over a week. I check the outages website every day and after five days of repeated “will be resolved by 7pm tonight” it now says “to be confirmed”, citing a problem in the NBN network. We are however not using NBN (another sorry tale - Telstra still has long me about connection up to NBN lol). Spent 44 minutes on the phone on Wednesday and was promised it would be up again by that night. Told the operator respectfully I did not believe it. QED. Anyway is there a bigger problem here? Should I invest in a semaphore?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Unexplained outage in Pymble 2073

NBN now own the cable network and they are responsible for maintaining the network.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

vanderz

Thanks. That is understood. But presumably when Telstra has an outages website which says when it will be restored, Telstra has a basis for making those statements. I can’t imagine there is someone at a desk at Telstra just randomly putting update details on their website to mess with our heads (even if it feels like it given the way those updates change from day to day). So Telstra must have some access to information from NBN on what is happening, and my question was therefore whether anyone knew what is going on?

After over 10 days of outage, a message on the outages page that the estimated restoration date is “to be confirmed” is not good enough.

From my understanding the information on restoration is provided by NBN co to Telstra as they maintain the network. As they provide updates Telstra would update the information on the outage board. In the case of outages Telstra is only the messenger.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

vanderz

Hi everyone, I am really struggling with this. We have had no cable internet of Telstra Foxtel since the night of 8 Feb after a big storm. I have been on the phone to Telstra technicians three times and have had multiple interactions via the 24x7 chat (all transcripts recorded). Each of the operators has said there is an outage affecting us which is being repaired by NBN. Each time I call, they say it will be fixed by that night, but here he are on day 10 still with no service. So today I called again, and got a completely different story. After 40 minutes on the call, this operator says that there is in act NO OUTAGE affecting our house (even though the Telstra outages website as I write is still saying there is an outage at our address!) and the operator says all the other previous technicians were incorrect. She says there is an outage in our area but affecting a different hub than the one to which our modem is allocated. What the????? Bottom line no one knows what on earth is going on and I have been wasting my time for 10 days with multiple calls, with Telstra operators and the outages website telling me complete rubbish. How is it that the Telstra outages website checks my address and says there is an outage for our address but an operator in the Phillipines tells me that the MAC address for our modem is allocated to a hub which is working??? I have no idea where to go from here and sitting on the line to an operator telling me that everyone I have spoken to for the last two weeks is wrong gets me nowhere. Has anyone else had this problem?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If the faults team were not able to link your modems hub to a current outage then they should be able to troubleshoot and escalate your problem further. The information on the outage page may be a general area supplied from NBN when they raised the network issue.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

vanderz

I don't understand how this could have changed in the last 10 days and not been apparent to the previous technical support operators I spoke to. The outages page was also using a specific residential address as well (at which there has only ever been the one modem with one MAC address), not a postcode. I have to get on the phone again and run further diagnostics. Hopefully it will simply be the case that the previous 10 days of wasted calls were just that and there is a simple fix.......

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now