Tisshy
Level 2: Rookie

Unlawful website blocking

I went online to use multiple websites and found that Telstra is blocking them, there is no lawful reason behind these blocking because no DMCA notice has been sent to Telstra for the content on these websites and even if there was a request Telstra has not attempted to contact the owners or administrators to have the request actioned.

A chat board like 4Chan and 8Chan has no video to require a DMCA request and Reddit is currently hosting the same content as 4Chan and 8Chan so I would reasonably think that you should be blocking Reddit for the same reason you are blocking the rest of these websites.

These websites have been blocked and the community is outraged.

voat.co
4chan.org
8ch.net
liveleak.com
archive.is
bitchute.com
zerohedge.com
kiwifarms.net

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unlawful website blocking

DMCA is a piece of legislation in the USA and has no application in Australia, so your argument basically collapses there.

Also, as far as the community being outraged, that is a bit of a stretch. Firmware update timings have attracted far more commentary than this issue.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Tisshy

Australian Federal court ruling demanding ISP's to block websites like PirateBay say otherwise.

That is not part of DMCA, that is part of Australian Copyright Law. Totally different legislation, for one, it is Australian.

Plus, a ruling from the Federal Court under the Australian Copyright Law only forces ISPs to block sites.

ISPs still retain the right to block sites that are deemed to carry illegal or highly offensive materials. It would be up to the sites to request that the blocking be removed, or for a court order in Australia to be obtained to force the ISPs to allow access to the site.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Luke45
Level 1: Cadet

These websites are only blocked at the DNS level, because it's cheap, easy, and effective for the vast majority of users.. The internet is a global platform. 

United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights (revised June 2016)
Article 19)
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
http:www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/) 

Why you're using an Australian ISP's DNS is beyond me. You'll gain the full internet, and a performance boost, by changing to a better DNS. Change it at the router level to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 primary, and 1.1.1.1 secondary), or another international DNS with a good reputation.

dct

Welcome to Fascism 101
dct

Just use a VPN to get around the illegal blocking
Luke45

I'd call it communism, not fascism. A VPN is a great solution, but a DNS change is far easier for the average user.

Choc_Wish

I agree. No isp should be choosing what I can and cannot have access too. They provide access for payment AND THAT'S IT! I'm not interested in their opinion of what's "safe".

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more