CrowdSupport®
angryangus
Level 2: Rookie

Unlimited Internet Plan + speed boost

Answered

Why does the Unlimited Internet Plan + speed boost have a nominal download figure of 100 Mbps but the upload is only 5 Mbps, or is there an increase in the upload speed too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Unlimited Internet Plan + speed boost

Once you transfer to NBN you will be able to upgrade to 40 Mbps up. The coax cable supports 40Mbps up but Telstras line terminating equipment only supports 5 Mbps.
Although the upload speed of Telstra cable is less than NBN the download speed is greater. Both have nominal download speeds of 100Mbps per second but most Telstra cable connections the speed is greater than 100Mbps. On NBN cable connections the speed struggles to get 100Mbps

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7

Telstra cable only supports a maximum upload speed of 5 Mbps that is why upload speed remains at 5 Mbps.

Level 21: Augmented

@angryangus wrote:

Why does the Unlimited Internet Plan + speed boost have a nominal download figure of 100 Mbps but the upload is only 5 Mbps, or is there an increase in the upload speed too?

Hi @angryangus 

Where did you read that?

The Bigpond NBN Tier 100 has an upload speed of 30Mbps.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm

@cf4 wrote:

Telstra cable only supports a maximum upload speed of 5 Mbps that is why upload speed remains at 5 Mbps.

@cf4 Ah, he is talking about cable.

I used to be jealous of people on cable when I was on ADSL... not now :-)

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
angryangus

So, there is fibre optic cable a few metres away from my house that would support 30 Mbps upload but my coaxial cable connection can't make use of that capacity?
Accepted Solution

Once you transfer to NBN you will be able to upgrade to 40 Mbps up. The coax cable supports 40Mbps up but Telstras line terminating equipment only supports 5 Mbps.
Although the upload speed of Telstra cable is less than NBN the download speed is greater. Both have nominal download speeds of 100Mbps per second but most Telstra cable connections the speed is greater than 100Mbps. On NBN cable connections the speed struggles to get 100Mbps
angryangus

So, what do I need to do to get 30 Mbps upload speeds?
angryangus

Sorry, didn't see your reply.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now