CrowdSupport®
Dufeyz1
Level 1: Cadet

Upload Speeds

Answered

Hey there,  

I like streaming video games. We have a Telstra premier X-Large Budle + Foxtel Platinum. Put simply, 1.1mb up just doesnt even nearly cut it. Why is the upload speed so incredibly poor?  

This is through ethernet as well, so its not like wifi from 20 metres away. What can i do to fix this poor upload speed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Upload Speeds

The main reason that Telstra have sighted in the past is the shared nature of the cable technology means that offering higher uploads would lead to issues... having a limit means a more consistent speed.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4

It would depend on the type of internet...

If it is an ADSL connection 1Mbps is pretty much the max upload speed you will get

If it is an Cable connection 1Mbps is the standard upload speed, however you can have it increased to 2Mbps (often 2.4Mbps but officially listed as 2Mbps) with the Super Fast Speed Boost (at an extra cost)

If it is an NBN connection 5Mbps is the standard upload speed, but on FTTP can be increased to 40Mbps upload with the Super Fast Speed Boost, or on Fixed Wireless can be increased to 20Mbps upload with the Very Fast Speed Boost

Each is different based on the limitations of each technology type
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Dufeyz1
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for the reply.  

we have bigpond cable.  

for an extra* $20 per month it can be upgraded to 2-2.4 mb/s? Thats not even good enough honestly. There aren't any other options in my area either. Still not on the nbn list.  

is there any good reason why the upload speed is so poor? 

Accepted Solution

The main reason that Telstra have sighted in the past is the shared nature of the cable technology means that offering higher uploads would lead to issues... having a limit means a more consistent speed.
Helpful Links

Highlighted
DougBooth
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am new to Telstra, and I am extremely disappointed with the internet speed. I'm on NBN and have been for some time with another provider. The Telstra network is extremely slow, I signed up for a Very Fast NBN service i.e. the maximum 100 mbps. The Telstra speed is pathetic. Only slightly better than ADSL 2 for downloads and uploads.

See this post to gauge what speeds you might get by paying more money:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/National-Broadband-Network-NBN/Poor-NBN-Speed/m-p/588436

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now