Highlighted
Rebecca_T
Level 1: Cadet

Upload speed has halved

Answered

HI, I have had ongoing issues with the speed of our internet over the last few years. A soloution was reached- after MONTHS of phone calls back and forth- and our phone conncection was finally moved to another part of the exchange. (Mitchelton exchange is congested and apparently there is nothing in the pipeline to remedey that). I have not had a reason to call Telstra/Bigpond for a long time now.

For some reason my upload speed has been halved. (See below Speedtests,This is supposed to be ADSL2+ , I know right??? But what can you do when you live 4ks from the Exchange and it's old and congested ??? Premium price for what?.)

I am on 

BigPond® Broadband 200GB Elite - ADSL2+ Bundle: Telstra Home™ ULTIMATE Bundle - 200GB

I have changed my line configuration a couple of times to test - https://myaccount.bigpond.com/MyServicesConfiguration.do

Capture.JPG

My Billing is 16th of the month. - Last Month- for the first time ever - I nearly hit my 200GB limit- Thanks to a new Playstation 4  and massive updates/Downloads of Digital versions of some games.
See usage History for same period
Capture2.JPG

You'll note- that just after this time period where I almost reached my cap-The next minth, my upload speed has been halved.

I am a gamer- and I tend to notice pretty easily , any difference in my service.

Is this something that Telstra have applied to my ADSL2+ service?
Do they limit uploads?

Bigpond phone has been no help- They just tell me that there is no issues noted for ADSL2+ in my area. 
--I shouild have made a formal complaint last time i had issues, but I didn't because  other than  Building or upgrading the WHOLE EXCHANGE there is nothing that can give me the speeds that match  the premium price I am paying - For a service * service level that I am NOT getting.

This is the last step to a formal complaint. I am finally ready to battle this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Upload speed has halved

Hi Rebecca_T

No, we don't limit uploads.

And we can apply speed restrictions to your service, however these affect both your Upload and Download speed, and these are placed on the account when you've either exceeded your usage allowance, or have an overdue amount payable on your bill. 

The maximum download and upload speed achievable will be either 64 kbps, or 256 kbps depending on your plan, and in your case that would be 256 kbps. However it is applied across the entire service. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rebecca_T,

Welcome to Crowdsupport

Our Bigpond Fast ADSL plans provide maximum speeds up to 20Mbps/1Mbps to eligible customers in selected areas (ADSL2+)and up to 8Mbps/384Kbps in many other areas (ADSL).

The speeds you're getting are definitely within these

If you would like us to check everything & make sure it's ok on our, pleae have a chat to our 24x7 tech support team on 133933 or via

There was a recent upgrade done at Mitchelton exchange to increases ports available in Feburary & you check more information on future upgrades as they're released via http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Rebecca_T

In regards to the Upload speed-

My upload speed is halved.

"Is this something that Telstra have applied to my ADSL2+ service?
Do they limit uploads?"

"Our Bigpond Fast ADSL plans provide maximum speeds up to 20Mbps/1Mbps to eligible customers in selected areas (ADSL2+)and up to 8Mbps/384Kbps in many other areas (ADSL)."

New questions.

Why am I paying for ADSL2+ if i am not even getting ADSL speeds?

If Change to ADSL is that cheaper? and will I still get the speeds I am getting now seeing as My ADSL2+ is almost as slow as ADSL.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Rebecca_T

There is no difference in price between ADSL and ADSL2+. It is important to note that those speeds are the maximum possible speeds, and are affected by a number of different factors.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Rebecca_T

Thanks for the info- But my original question has not been answered.

My upload speed is halved.

"Is this something that Telstra have applied to my ADSL2+ service?
Do they limit uploads?"

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Rebecca_T

No, we don't limit uploads.

And we can apply speed restrictions to your service, however these affect both your Upload and Download speed, and these are placed on the account when you've either exceeded your usage allowance, or have an overdue amount payable on your bill. 

The maximum download and upload speed achievable will be either 64 kbps, or 256 kbps depending on your plan, and in your case that would be 256 kbps. However it is applied across the entire service. 

thebats

Hi

I have a cable modem 500 GB ultimate and I was getting upload speeds of up to 2.1 mb. I engaged a cloud services provider and backed up my machine to the cloud. All was goodness. Last week my upload speed dropped to 210 kb, making the cloud services unusable. I live in Mitchelton Queensland. Has there been some tweaking by Telstra ?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi thebats, 

speeds will vary day to day and hour to hour but if you've noticed a sudden and ongoing change to your service we can troubleshoot with yuo via 24x7 Technical Support on 133 933 or here: 

http://tel.st/gq6m

WorriedVeruMuch
Level 2: Rookie

Yes I think so there must be some tweaking. I have a similar experience. Afer so many years with Telstra my cable  has become patetic. It all started a couple of weeks ago. I am sure they are trying to be smart. I am considerin either Ombudsman or changing the provider.

tan14
Level 3: Gumshoe

My upload is pathetic also and find cloud program unusable at times.  What was your solution in the end?

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more